Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6642 6643 [6644] 6645 6646 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454538 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #99645 on: March 31, 2016, 08:43:46 pm »

I think we should just continue making jokes about white redneck policemen attacking respectable black people so that everyone is offended.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #99646 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:50 pm »

No, see, I'm saying that let the white people in, let fukkin' everybody in, but stop certain people from coming in if people find themselves being abused...
Mmmmmmnever mind, I just realised what I was describing there.
Again, I'm not saying you should keep all the white peole out because most racists are white, I'm saying you should keep the racist people out, the method of sifting I want is something that could be achieved by a colourblind person with no way of telling who is what colour.
Edit: A lot like the way this forum has become so... Open? Accepting?
I don't really get what you're trying to say. What is the method you would like?
Yeah, sorry, I'm terrible with getting my points across.
I'm trying to say that there should be an area that racist people are not allowed to go, in fact, more specifically, not allowed vocally racist people to go, because I know people (Well, person, I shouldn't lie) who are homophobic but won't lynch a gay person for being gay, they'll just avoid that person, and I'd bet that there are the same kinds of people in regards to racism.
Basically, I'm trying to say that skin colour should not be something to give a shit about when deciding who to let in, all you have to do is make a sign that gives a clear indication that this is a place where a lot of black people gather and you've already done most of the sorting, anybody who is racist are either going to be obvious as shit about it or might actually want to see the other side of the equation and broaden their horizons.
Does that make sense?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99647 on: March 31, 2016, 08:50:33 pm »

WTF does the WTF thread keep filling up with political arguments, eh nevermind that pretty much makes sense.
Considering you're, likely, a white male in America, there really isn't a whole lot for you to be afraid of.
This makes me angry and you're wrong.  I was attacked at school just for looking weak and white.  Racism cuts a lot of directions.  Race gangs and cults make monsters of normal people.

Even if the police are systematically racist, you're kinda spitting in my wound here.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99648 on: March 31, 2016, 08:52:50 pm »

well y'know
when whites get enslaved for decades and then - even after having ostensibly been freed - have to live under fear of police deciding they're too uppity, you might have a leg to stand on, bud
maybe, in theory.
Dude

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude

Have you even heard of Ireland

And all those Slavic countries

Finland?

The Sami?

C'mon man stop pretending discrimination is only against non-whites, you're making yourself look like a dork

(also the way you slip "ostensibly" in there as though blacks in the IS are still working on cotton fields for food an board is pretty dumb too)
This. So much this. Europeans have been killing, raping and enslaving each other for our entire recorded history, and probably before that too. And some were also taken as slaves by Arabs. Everyone has been someone's bitch at some point in history, so what's the point of keeping score?

Would you like to hear about the polite, respectful and non-violent interaction I had with a police officer yesterday? He was friendly, he asked a few questions, I answered and cooperated fully. Within a minute he had discerned that I was not the individual he was looking for and we parted ways. At no point in the interaction did I feel any fear of the officer, and why would I?

Considering you're, likely, a white male in America, there really isn't a whole lot for you to be afraid of. I know I'm not afriad of police, but that really doesn't matter when you get things like all those unanswered for deaths of black people. Like that one NY cop who performed an already-illegal chokehold on a guy who then died because of it. Or the black elementary schooler who was shot because he had a toy gun in the toy section of a store.
Canada, actually, but I see your point. However, I think that's just American cops being shitheads. There have been some articles in the past year about how black people in the GTA are being carded by police frequently, how this sort of discrimination is unfair and what the Toronto police are doing to remedy this situation. These articles don't paint a picture of violent incidents, but of encounters that ended much like the one I had yesterday, even if the police officers were less than polite and respectful a few decades ago. Ultimately, it's an attitude thing, both for the police and for the civilians interacting with them (it turns out that being polite and respectful to people in positions of power and/or authority is a really good way to keep oneself out of trouble).
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99649 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:23 pm »

Freedom of speech protects conservatives. It's sad but it's true.
The right to hatemonger in public places is going to be much harder to get rid of than the right to smoke.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99650 on: March 31, 2016, 09:03:11 pm »

The right to hatemonger in public places is going to be much harder to get rid of than the right to smoke.
Is this the real life

Is this just fantasy

Caught in a landslide

No escape from insanity

I would recommend picking up Mick Hume's "trigger warning."
Mick Hume is a filthy commie and even he understands that when you undermine free speech, all liberties can no longer be defended. But alas, I forgot, there are no bad tactics only bad targets. My political enemies are the bad guys, and I must do all in my power to eliminate them, hahahaha
And what if you're wrong? You'll want to look into England. We arrested people for hate speech over shit they were correct on, that after 15 years of silence everyone is now awkwardly shuffling their dismal failures under the carpet of forgetfulness.
I pray this is Poe, for this post did make me WTF.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99651 on: March 31, 2016, 09:12:03 pm »

WTF does the WTF thread keep filling up with political arguments, eh nevermind that pretty much makes sense.
Considering you're, likely, a white male in America, there really isn't a whole lot for you to be afraid of.
This makes me angry and you're wrong.  I was attacked at school just for looking weak and white.  Racism cuts a lot of directions.  Race gangs and cults make monsters of normal people.

Even if the police are systematically racist, you're kinda spitting in my wound here.

Sorry about that. Even white men are attacked if they don't fit into what boys or men should be like. I was referencing much more about dealings with police officers over what, say, a black person would have to deal with in an urban environment.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99652 on: March 31, 2016, 09:14:43 pm »

This. So much this. Europeans have been killing, raping and enslaving each other for our entire recorded history, and probably before that too. And some were also taken as slaves by Arabs. Everyone has been someone's bitch at some point in history, so what's the point of keeping score?

Except that's a non-sequiter when talking about american politics specifically? Like saying "wow i'm not having a good time" and someone's like "SYRIAN CHILDREN"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99653 on: March 31, 2016, 09:17:13 pm »

Yeah...
Freedom of speech is inherently useful for Progress, in the progressive sense.  The open exchange of ideas leads to the progress most of us are yearning for.
Censorship is a tool for maintaining the status quo, by quelling debate.  There's a huge difference between a statement that is offensive, and one that is threatening.  I feel like people are losing sight of that.

I'm confident that we will continue to improve civil rights for all disenfranchised groups (especially LGBTQ like me) because we're allowed to raise the issue, as loud as we want, even if some people aren't willing to listen.

Some people being hurtful doesn't change that.  Yeah, they hurt us personally.  But most people know, deep-down, that our position is right...  So we benefit from having it freely discussed.

Sorry about that. Even white men are attacked if they don't fit into what boys or men should be like. I was referencing much more about dealings with police officers over what, say, a black person would have to deal with in an urban environment.
That's what I figured, no problem.  I just felt the need to clarify I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #99654 on: March 31, 2016, 09:19:07 pm »

What is going on in this thread, we were talking about US colleges and now people are bringing up Hitler, ancient European politics, revoking free speech, someone arguing that police beating up autistic children can be a misunderstanding ever... what the hell.  This happened over like 2 pages.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #99655 on: March 31, 2016, 09:19:53 pm »

Godwin, son. Godwin
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99656 on: March 31, 2016, 09:20:33 pm »

Move to Germany, eh. They've gone so far as to eliminate the word "race" from their language. Because of Hitler.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #99657 on: March 31, 2016, 09:20:55 pm »

Godwin, son. Godwin
That explains bringing up Hitler, sure, but not the rest of it...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #99658 on: March 31, 2016, 09:27:27 pm »

Godwin, son. Godwin
That explains bringing up Hitler, sure, but not the rest of it...
Reverse Godwin--Hitler's arrival is almost always preceded by vitriolic, angry arguments about injustice.
... jesus christ this forum sometimes.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #99659 on: March 31, 2016, 09:32:35 pm »

As somebody who has been literally told "If I ever see you walking down my street again, whitey, I will fucking kill you", I find the notion that the constant "It is okay for black people to be racist against whites (which is what "this is a black safe place - whites not allowed" amounts to) because they have been treated badly" attitude to be ignorant as fuck.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 6642 6643 [6644] 6645 6646 ... 11040