Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6626 6627 [6628] 6629 6630 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465519 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #99405 on: March 29, 2016, 03:01:51 pm »

What do people mean when they say "pls don't quote"? Why wouldn't you want a quote? Because you might change it, and don't want the old version still around in people's posts?

Because we live in a world where a business can look you up, find out who you are... and then chose not to hire you, fire you, or harass you with the things you post.

HECK we already have a issue with people not being hired because someone libels them on the internet.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #99406 on: March 29, 2016, 03:03:16 pm »

I've had this discussion repeatedly. I am sad posting everything and less privacy is now becoming the norm.

I'm transgender. It can put my life in danger, because trans people are more likely to be victims of violent crime and murder, etc.

I've gotten hate mail from merely posting in a thread about transgender bathroom use. My side of it was simple. If I needed to pee and was wearing a skirt, heels, cute top, and matching purse and earings, I would be beaten severely if I used the men's room.... [sigh]. So.... They released the hate....

There is very little good side to quoting and so much downside.

Please for the love of God, just don't.

Trust me on this.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:05:11 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99407 on: March 29, 2016, 03:30:44 pm »

@Truean:*applies hugs on general principle*

But yeah, what everyone said already.  It can have disproportionate real-life repercussions to have your stuff associated with you if you live in the wrong place, and having it immortalized in someone else's post is even worse because now you can't even get rid of it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:36:55 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99408 on: March 29, 2016, 03:35:02 pm »

Okay I'm going to be forthright about being drunk right now

First off, don't quote Truean.

You need a reason?  That's fair, so did I!  The reason is so that she can delete things that might be damaging to her.

That's fucking it
It's not in her signature and I still think it should be, but there it is.

Maybe you have doubts about whether it'll work?  So do I, but it certainly helps a lot.  And it turns out the forums aren't automatically archived by things like the waybackmachine, so it's actually pretty solid.

As someone who got a bunch of unwarranted abuse for a simple misunderstanding, let me suggest not quoting Truean.
I mean, if nothing else, Toady does edit posts on that basis.  So please, there's no reason to force the issue.  Now that you know the reason, it's a reasonable request.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #99409 on: March 29, 2016, 03:44:24 pm »

Your drunk posts are remarkably legible. You make good points too, if someone doesn't want to be quoted, don't quote them.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99410 on: March 29, 2016, 03:50:30 pm »

Yeah I've had a lot of practice, as I'm sure everyone is aware.  I am very drunk, I just know how to type otherwise.

To clarify, though:  If someone doesn't want to be quoted and provides any sort of decent reason, don't quote them.

I don't obey demands simply because they're there.  I try to treat people as equals, and respect means giving a reason for a demand.  Even an arguably weak reason is enough.

Blind obedience is something of a touchy subject for me, I guess.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99411 on: March 29, 2016, 03:52:29 pm »

...It's not in her signature...
Actually, it is. at the very bottom of it.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99412 on: March 29, 2016, 03:53:40 pm »

I meant the reason, not the demand.
She/they

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99413 on: March 29, 2016, 03:54:11 pm »

There's probably a reason for that, you know.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99414 on: March 29, 2016, 03:54:42 pm »

Yes, I told you the reason.
She/they

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99415 on: March 29, 2016, 03:55:31 pm »

You told me? I haven't been in this conversation. Also, I meant for it not being in her sig.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #99416 on: March 29, 2016, 03:58:27 pm »

Re Truean: I don't think many people get $20 an hour in two jobs.  A lot of jobs that pay that much are 9 to 5 which makes it difficult to line up 2 different ones that don't compete for hours.  Not to mention most jobs nowadays just don't pay that much.  In this economy a more realistic number would be ~$10 in both jobs, unfortunately.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99417 on: March 29, 2016, 03:59:48 pm »

@Shadowlord
I mean that I stated the perfectly reasonable reason that Truean doesn't want to be quoted, to this thread.  Of which you are a part.

But maybe you mean that there's a reason that her sig doesn't explain why she shouldn't be quoted?
I don't know of any, but I'm way too extended already.  Truean is great, I just resent that I was caught in a misunderstanding due to a lack of information she hasn't addressed.

I doubt there's more I need to say.
Edit:  Well shit, I guess I could acknowledge that she's been through an unbelievable amount of bullshit over the last three years.  I have a lot of respect for her courage and determination.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:01:59 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99418 on: March 29, 2016, 04:05:01 pm »

Was going to buy Dark Souls 3 to enjoy the discount I get from having previous game. Notice price is... a bit odd. Do some research, find out Bandai Namco jacked up the price by 60% for no reason (and against local laws, actually!). Well, there is a purchase I am not going through with.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99419 on: March 29, 2016, 04:07:33 pm »

I guess I could acknowledge that she's been through an unbelievable amount of bullshit over the last three years.  I have a lot of respect for her courage and determination.
This, this, and all the carping this I can muster.

I haven't been around for all of it, but it shows, and I would have cracked long ago under that sort of strain.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:09:10 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6626 6627 [6628] 6629 6630 ... 11037