Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6619 6620 [6621] 6622 6623 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470932 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:18:23 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #99301 on: March 27, 2016, 11:20:42 am »

They've burnt several bowls already. I just heard one of them shout "That's not butter; that's spaghetti sauce!"

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER

Home Ec was "for girls"
Belatedly realizing that that was bullshit was one of the things that... informed my current position on gender roles.
I have a lot of respect for the guys that took that class, knowing how they looked...

I took Home Ec in high school. :)

I've recently discovered that the many-many-many mosquito problem was because they've been harboring in a tiny space in our local garage. In shoes, boxes, or other things in that tiny corner nobody touches.

* Tiruin has attempted a daily purge by electric swatter (thanks technology.)

But where's the nesting grounds? There's no stagnant water nearby! Maybe it's just a place they rest in...like the literal end of a tunnel? (there's nothing to feed on nearby too)
And it's like they replenish every day. So many to swat every day I go to open the water tank for use. :-\

I don't know what mosquitos you have where you are, but aedes aegypti can reproduce in a single drop of water. That's the one that's in south america, the very southern parts of the USA (expanding northward due to climate change), and africa. I'm foggier on where it lives outside of the Americas, TBH.

The rest of the US has different mosquitos, although I don't know their species names or anything. The ones here tend to be particularly dumb.

@Greiger:
Wow. Computers are a phase but traumatic brain injuries are ~~forever~~
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99302 on: March 27, 2016, 11:33:26 am »

Ideally, kids should be learning how to cook at home from their parents. Unless their parents are terrible at it, in which case the classes are there to break the cycle.

...this probably also holds true for sex education.

My 9-year old has better knife skills than I do. She can julienne the shit out of an unsuspecting carrot.

My son wants to learn, but doesn't have the attention span needed yet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99303 on: March 27, 2016, 11:38:03 am »

My mom's ex-boyfriend is trying to bake something with the help of his friend. They are looking at YouTube how-to videos. They are failing miserably.

My mom is trying to help.

They've burnt several bowls already. I just heard one of them shout "That's not butter; that's spaghetti sauce!"

I think they've given up, since they are talking about just making Kraft Dinner instead (Mac & Cheese, for those unfamiliar with the brand). Also asking if a crock-pot can be used for baking.
How does anyone suck that much? Did they avert their eyes whenever their parents were cooking as kids?

>_<

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99304 on: March 27, 2016, 11:50:13 am »

Wait, how did they burn a bowl?

Did they put it in the oven while cooking?
One wheel short of a wagon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99305 on: March 27, 2016, 12:02:58 pm »

Home Ec was "for girls"
Belatedly realizing that that was bullshit was one of the things that... informed my current position on gender roles.
I have a lot of respect for the guys that took that class, knowing how they looked...

I took Home Ec in high school. :)
I took it, or whatever it was called, in middle school. Class was 1/3 male, if I remember(which I don't, really). While I probably did learn some important lessons, the only lesson I can consciously remember was that you're supposed to eat a hamburger with a fork and knife.

Speaking of dumbasshole parental figures, my stepdad cleared everything out of most of the cabinets, including the tiny 0.5'x1'x3' corner box that was pretty much just for stuff that I buy. Ostensibly, to deal with the ants that were encroaching on the cabinets. I come home to find that he's crammed it mostly with variably-sized cans of tomato sauce.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99306 on: March 27, 2016, 12:15:57 pm »

I guess a crock pot could be used for baking?  But I think the heat would distribute all weird...  Like it would take a looong time for the heat to reach through the crockery, and then it would be hot for a while after the top is cold?

I only ever baked with a bread machine I don't know what I'm talking about :P

I think my cooking ability is currently limited by my unwillingness to measure ingredients precisely.  I just know the right amount of water to add to rice from experience, and then just cook as much other stuff as I feel like adding.  Sometimes I have to add more water towards the end but that's no big deal?

Obviously that just doesn't work for baking.  And the taste is all over the place, since I'm mixing together stuff that individually strikes my fancy.  My idea of "complimentary flavors" is beans and rice.

But then I've never understood why people want expensive steaks when they can just boil cheap beef to get it even tenderer.  My favorite food is shepherd's pie (:  My tongue doesn't work good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #99307 on: March 27, 2016, 12:19:02 pm »

... boiling meat? Dear god. I avoid boiling vegetables if possible.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99308 on: March 27, 2016, 12:24:29 pm »

But stew can be great!
I usually steam things, but that's because I eat chicken and fish instead of beef.  I hate how tough it is unless it's stewed for a long time.  Ground beef is alright.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99309 on: March 27, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »

What is wrooong, with my phoooone, and how do I fix iiiiit....
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #99310 on: March 27, 2016, 12:29:39 pm »

Ah, I thought you were talking about plain boiled meat. If you're boiling it in a soup or something that's fine. There's a reason the cheapest beef is labeled stew meat a good amount of the time. Typically more expensive beef cuts are for when you want to grill or pan fry the meat or something, often to eat it by itself.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #99311 on: March 27, 2016, 12:31:13 pm »

the only lesson I can consciously remember was that you're supposed to eat a hamburger with a fork and knife.
Obligatory comeback whenever anyone is told that: "Oh? I thought I'm supposed to eat it with my mouth."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #99312 on: March 27, 2016, 12:34:08 pm »

But stew can be great!
I usually steam things, but that's because I eat chicken and fish instead of beef.  I hate how tough it is unless it's stewed for a long time.  Ground beef is alright.

See, that's because you're boiling it. :P But seriously, toss that stuff into near-smoking (or straight-up smoking!) oil and give it a few minutes, and it comes out really nicely.

For all people complain about homeschooling being brainwashing or whatever, I'm probably a more competent house maintainer than most homeowners, because that's one of the major edges homeschooling has: practical skills. I can fix a toilet, repair minor roof damage, install drywall, lay bricks, and so on. Also cookery, sewing, and similar pursuits. Those aren't skills you'll pick up in a traditional schooling environment, but they're very, very useful.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99313 on: March 27, 2016, 12:36:45 pm »

Honestly, homeschooling, done well (that is to say, by people who can actually do it right), is probably better than a lot of schools' product.

It's only the stuff that's done poorly that is bad/brainwashy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:39:08 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #99314 on: March 27, 2016, 12:38:06 pm »

Uh... actually, if you boil it for... a while? I forget exactly how long me grandma did it, at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it involved at least an hour. It comes out basically a roast. Can eat it alone and it's delicious, good for sandwiches, shredding to add to rice or whatev', etc., etc. Good way to get something (very) tasty out of cheap/near expiration beef. Not even remotely worthy of denouement, it's good stuff, and very accepting of seasoning.

... also, Arx, there's a number of homeschooled kids I've met that hadn't even washed their own clothes until after they left the house. Met public schooled kids that hadn't, either, but still. Brainwashing is only a secondary (if substantial) problem with homeschooling; the major one is sheer inconsistency. It's even worse than it is with public schooling, and that is saying a bloody tremendous amount.

E: Also, you can totally learn those skills mentioned in a traditional school environment. Home Ec, Shop, etc. It's just that the quality or existence of those opportunities is not terribly guaranteed (though, as mentioned, neither is it with homeschooling :P)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:40:45 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6619 6620 [6621] 6622 6623 ... 11037