Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6598 6599 [6600] 6601 6602 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461773 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98985 on: March 22, 2016, 07:04:08 pm »

Isn't the European population concentrated in a relatively small area rather than spread over an, again, huge area? It's far easier to implement proper education and healthcare, both things that tend to reduce crime, in small area (because, unless the EU has finally subsumed the national governments, each nation-state still handles such things by themselves).
Roughly twice the population density in the EU IIRC. Which should have the opposite effect, there's more crime in cities than in scattered villages.

Plus, err, demographic differences, although the EU seems intent on importing their own violent minority.
Demographic differences relating to poor people? There are fewer poor people in the EU because the EU has more welfare provisions than the States.
The migrant crisis is, to be fair, called a crisis because it's a crisis.

E-sports on TV. On fucking Fox.
We had a LoL tournament on TV in NZ a while back. Was pretty surprising.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98986 on: March 22, 2016, 07:26:27 pm »

So what we've learned here today is that America sucks.
Which, truth be told, is not that surprising. Any huge country, with its tons of people, is bound to have way more crazies than tiny baby-sized states of Europe.
The problem is, going into several of the reasons why America is this way is (I imagine) a violation of several forum rules.
Le Rules

Does going into those regions involve insulting other members, using bigoted language, spamming, intentional derailing, or involve illegal or sexual materials? If not, you are good to go.

Excuse me, new guy here, is discussion of racial statistics considered haram?
Depends on the context. Usually not unless the source is obviously bigoted and calls african-americans "niggas" and other such offensive terms.

The thing with racial statistics regarding crime is that often people with certain skin colours make the bulk of the poor, and poverty itself leads to crime.

I am wondering, though, if I can bring up demographic differences without having to play "Banhammer Whackamole" as the mole.
Usually the Toad will tell you to stop before applying the banhammer, unless it's something heinous.
Not gonna go full redpill right now, but

I think I'll leave this thread be, I don't wanna get stuck.

sorry bro but p > 0.05 is not considered a quality correlation

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98987 on: March 22, 2016, 07:28:32 pm »

I have no real stake in the argument, but to categorically say "p<[NUMBER] is not useful" is pretty disingenuous.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #98988 on: March 22, 2016, 07:30:19 pm »

I have no real stake in the argument, but to categorically say "p<[NUMBER] is not useful" is pretty disingenuous.
It's actually a rather established statistics figure.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98989 on: March 22, 2016, 07:31:30 pm »

obxkcd incoming below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #98990 on: March 22, 2016, 07:33:23 pm »

I was taught that a p-numbe of 0.05 was actually pretty convincing of an effect while at university.

Psychology though, so take that how you will...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98991 on: March 22, 2016, 07:34:46 pm »

A p of 0.05 is pretty convincing, yes.  But even p < 0.05 can be wrong, too.

Mostly though I just wanted to xkcd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98992 on: March 22, 2016, 07:35:29 pm »

obxkcd incoming below.
Does it change if there are multiple correlations? Race and poverty are both correlated, just at different rates.
NOT BRAZILIAN

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #98993 on: March 22, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »

Isn't the European population concentrated in a relatively small area rather than spread over an, again, huge area? It's far easier to implement proper education and healthcare, both things that tend to reduce crime, in small area (because, unless the EU has finally subsumed the national governments, each nation-state still handles such things by themselves).
Roughly twice the population density in the EU IIRC. Which should have the opposite effect, there's more crime in cities than in scattered villages.

One of the greatest problems in the US is how bad the infrastructure has gotten. The EU doesn't have that problem because it is far cheaper to build good infrastructure in more dense regions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98994 on: March 22, 2016, 07:43:45 pm »

obxkcd incoming below.
Does it change if there are multiple correlations? Race and poverty are both correlated, just at different rates.

This is the problem. In things like physics or chemistry p values like that can be expected because the experimental conditions can be controlled extremely precisely, but lower figures are basically guaranteed in even the best designed experiments in psychology or social science because finding enough people with identical life experiences to draw meaningful conclusions from is harder than making sure the temperature in the room stays the same.  Of course, some people see those things and decide that social sciences must be bunk, but that's not an especially useful attitude.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:45:30 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98995 on: March 22, 2016, 07:54:00 pm »

One of the greatest problems in the US is how bad the infrastructure has gotten. The EU doesn't have that problem because it is far cheaper to build good infrastructure in more dense regions.
I'm not sure why that's relevant, but okay.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98996 on: March 22, 2016, 07:57:18 pm »

His argument, I think, is that the EU has mo money fo dem programz.
NOT BRAZILIAN

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98997 on: March 22, 2016, 07:57:34 pm »

There are a substantial number of people in the US who need to drive several hours to get to work and access basic services. A substantial portion of these don't have the means to move somewhere else. Ironically because of the high cost of living imposed by that condition. The piss poor state of public transportation makes this a problem even in areas that would normally be considered urban or suburban.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98998 on: March 22, 2016, 08:03:25 pm »

His argument, I think, is that the EU has mo money fo dem programz.
Subsidised rails and higher taxes certainly help.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #98999 on: March 22, 2016, 08:07:14 pm »

Bad infrastructure makes basically everything worse, OW. Harder to get out of situations that would drive you to violence (e.g. what baff mentioned), easier to get sick (bad water, electricity issues in areas with dangerous temperatures, various building issues that cause problems, etc., etc.). It's a pretty fair statement to make that a notable amount of the problems the poverty stricken parts of the US (in particular, if not exclusively) have are due to lack in basic amenities, including shelter, transportation, and water. Those are infrastructure issues, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6598 6599 [6600] 6601 6602 ... 11040