Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6593 6594 [6595] 6596 6597 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456646 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98910 on: March 22, 2016, 10:42:07 am »

Western ones typically take the sideways-on colon-eyed form like :), while Eastern ones typically take the right-side-up parentheses-bracketed form like (・_・;).
I read this somewhere: the sideways form gives more characters that look like mouths, while the upright form gives more eye-like characters. In Eastern cultures, the eyes are more important to showing emotions, while in Western ones the mouth is more important. This is also why people have huge eyes in anime.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98911 on: March 22, 2016, 11:10:45 am »

Actually from a technical standpoint?

Emojis are their own thing. Literally, I mean.

You know how you have special ASCII characters - like é or Œ or ¶ ? Emojis are extending into higher byte characters. Absently, let's see ... 👻

Nope, doesn't look like this forum is set up to accept them. Edit: Okay, only PREVIEW doesn't show them, but it does accept them for the board. Cool.

Anyway, yeah, when I was talking about accepting emojis, I literally meant the technical side of emoji, which are 4-byte unicode characters. Kind of like how character sets like kanji (漢字) take up different bytes / spaces than roman characters (abcde).

As far as I'm concerned, all the multi-character, non-special-byte-assigned characters are emoticons, whether they're western (: or eastern (. w.) styled. They don't have their own assignment as unique characters, whereas emoji do. Android and iPhone just display those special characters with a cute icon to make them easier to see. Some applications replace them with non-4-byte replacements (like Discord, for example, replaces the heart emoji with ":heart:" and displays that as an icon). I just consider those graphical emoticons at that point (or like this board uses, things like  :P ).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:14:14 am by variablenonsense »
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98912 on: March 22, 2016, 11:14:20 am »

In Eastern cultures, the eyes are more important to showing emotions, while in Western ones the mouth is more important.
I thought it was the other way around...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:08:56 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #98913 on: March 22, 2016, 12:04:04 pm »

A friend of mine FB'd me to say the restaurant she's at serves "hot chubbies with cheese".

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98914 on: March 22, 2016, 12:05:03 pm »

Get it while theyre hot
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98915 on: March 22, 2016, 12:29:09 pm »

Absolutely left field job interview....

Insane questions having nothing to do with the job or personality or anything.

There was the algae that doubled every day question, the ping pong ball one, and others that have ... really no answer.

You have a 400 sq in cake and 200 people to feed. How do you do that the best way?

???

In the real world you let people self serve or cut into equal pieces and let them self serve. What if people are on diets or just don't like the cake or want more than one serving?

No idea. I just divided the cake sq inches by the number of people....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:39:12 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98916 on: March 22, 2016, 12:40:03 pm »

Give each person one, and take the rest for yourself duh
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98917 on: March 22, 2016, 12:48:33 pm »

How do you cut a 3 metre by 3 metre cake?

I guess you get a metre rule or something, but a knife won't work. Maybe a longsword.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98918 on: March 22, 2016, 01:01:06 pm »

I guess you get a metre rule or something, but a knife won't work. Maybe a longsword.
IRL you just use a normal knife and cut as needed from one edge.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98919 on: March 22, 2016, 01:05:18 pm »

But someone who works that slowly will never survive in the cutthroat corporate world.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98920 on: March 22, 2016, 01:08:40 pm »

But someone who works that slowly will never survive in the cutthroat corporate world.
then use a pizza cutter.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98921 on: March 22, 2016, 01:09:31 pm »

Its not 400 square inches in cake

Its 400 squares in cake
PKs DF Mod!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #98922 on: March 22, 2016, 01:58:13 pm »

then use a pizza cutter.
The longsword idea sounds more interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98923 on: March 22, 2016, 02:03:38 pm »

The correct corporate answer is "I take half the cake, give the other half to my boss, and then tell everyone else to blame the caterers."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98924 on: March 22, 2016, 02:08:16 pm »

Can I ask what job it was for? Just wondering out of genuine curiosity.

Also, those questions about algae multiplying and the 'how do you divide up a cake' sound like math questions that would be on an exam, not a job interview.

Nah, a laser would work better.
Pages: 1 ... 6593 6594 [6595] 6596 6597 ... 11040