Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6588 6589 [6590] 6591 6592 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449694 times)

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98835 on: March 21, 2016, 04:20:55 am »

Friend of a friend had a two day siege with police before shooting himself.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98836 on: March 21, 2016, 04:29:06 am »

The problem is about a perceived cultural imperialism. Consider The last Samurai, for instance: drunkard american soldier detoxes and becomes more adept at samurai fighting and philosophy than samurais themselves... and on top of that he manages to change aspects of said way of life which are unpalatable for modern western viewers. There's a certain annoying itch in that.

Not too annoyed by that due to how often the Japanese do that themselves. It's extremely common in anime for some Japanese kid to be The Chosen One in a series that is based on any number of different world cultures. I mean, I can cite more than one series where some Japanese kid is the descendant of Sherlock Holmes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:30:45 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #98837 on: March 21, 2016, 05:00:02 am »

It's not like the Japanese don't have have history of imperialism themselves, both cultural and otherwise.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #98838 on: March 21, 2016, 05:29:47 am »

The problem is about a perceived cultural imperialism. Consider The last Samurai, for instance: drunkard american soldier detoxes and becomes more adept at samurai fighting and philosophy than samurais themselves... and on top of that he manages to change aspects of said way of life which are unpalatable for modern western viewers. There's a certain annoying itch in that.

Not too annoyed by that due to how often the Japanese do that themselves. It's extremely common in anime for some Japanese kid to be The Chosen One in a series that is based on any number of different world cultures. I mean, I can cite more than one series where some Japanese kid is the descendant of Sherlock Holmes.
"Not worse than anime" is a bad standard.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98839 on: March 21, 2016, 06:19:18 am »

"Not worse than anime" is a bad standard.
"It happens all the time, so get used to it", however...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98840 on: March 21, 2016, 06:40:48 am »

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:30:14 pm by penguinofhonor »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98841 on: March 21, 2016, 07:22:03 am »

There's more than one? Geez, if Sherlock Holmes had been a notable womanizer, that would be one thing....and let us not even begin to talk about Fate Stay Night, for that is just travesty heaped upon travesty heaped upon travesty.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98842 on: March 21, 2016, 07:32:34 am »

Still reading serious books on statistical methods and machine learning (side note: I didn't know Poland had scientists in that field), and I meet another quotable part:
Quote from: Machine Learning And Its Applications - Georgios Paliouras, 2001
Model class selection method 1: The monkey and the toolbox
some people have fun in the weirdest places
._.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98843 on: March 21, 2016, 07:41:01 am »

(side note: I didn't know Poland had scientists in that field)
Poland has scientists in every field, the problem is that they're all in other countries. :/
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #98844 on: March 21, 2016, 07:43:45 am »

Apparently, I somehow made a copy of all my steam games and put them in the folder just outside of Steamapps, which meant that they did absolutely nothing while taking up hundreds of Gigabytes worth of space.
And I checked this, it was a copy I must have made from years ago when I had the bright idea of trying to transfer all of my games onto my new computer so I wouldn't have to download them again because it was missing a couple of game I've bought more recently.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98845 on: March 21, 2016, 10:36:59 am »

(side note: I didn't know Poland had scientists in that field)
Poland has scientists in every field, the problem is that they're all in other countries. :/
Ah, Poles, the primary export of Poland since 1831.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98846 on: March 21, 2016, 11:04:32 am »

Very trivial but...
I constructed X-TREME vegan chili factory, but one of the biproducts (soy milk) turned out to be almost as effective, when used to make yogurt.  And much less complicated.  Then I figured out how to work the dairy with pipes, and suddenly I had incredible amounts of real milk yogurt to work with.

The X-TREME vegan chili setup will remain, of course.  But my culinary generators will be running off dairy for the most part.  I guess I'll just have to *eat* the chili or something.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98847 on: March 21, 2016, 11:11:33 am »

The word "vegan" makes me hunger for flesh.
* Egan  begins chewing on some dried meat.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98848 on: March 21, 2016, 11:22:32 am »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98849 on: March 21, 2016, 11:50:06 am »

Well I do have a oil drum full of liquified mutton and a few buckets of "pink slime" :P  Vegan options are just easier to mass produce and automate.

This is Minecraft of course, Modern Millenaire pack on Technic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6588 6589 [6590] 6591 6592 ... 11040