Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6587 6588 [6589] 6590 6591 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449960 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98820 on: March 20, 2016, 06:54:12 pm »

Opposition party said they were considering a basic income policy. Finance minister said it would discourage work. I... what?

Finance ministers just want money in their own pockets.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98821 on: March 20, 2016, 07:01:12 pm »

Opposition party said they were considering a basic income policy. Finance minister said it would discourage work. I... what?
Why work a low-paying job if you can get money from the government for just living in the country?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98822 on: March 20, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »

Why work a low-paying job if you can get money from the government for just living in the country?
The proposed $200 per week is only liveable if you're really, really skimpy. It's lower than the current pensions and unemployment benefits.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98823 on: March 20, 2016, 07:11:44 pm »

Yeah, with most basic income proposals you'd not have to worry about paying utilities (if you're cheap), (shitty) rent, and (shitty) grocery, but to have any life at all you'd need some other source of income.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98824 on: March 20, 2016, 07:20:23 pm »

The proposed $200 per week is only liveable if you're really, really skimpy. It's lower than the current pensions and unemployment benefits.
Ah. Yeah, with that context then I guess I can't really see why the finance minister would argue that.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the politics scene in New Zealand. Pretty sure you're in New Zealand.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98825 on: March 20, 2016, 08:02:00 pm »

Which eldricht abomination would Greenland belong to?
Well, quite clearly it would be the Elder Thing territory.

Failing that, I'm going with 'Greenland'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98826 on: March 20, 2016, 08:24:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Penumbra series was set in Greenland.  Though I never got far enough to find out what the horror was... besides feral dogs and skulking spiders.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98827 on: March 20, 2016, 09:33:25 pm »

I was seriously entertaining the idea of creating and running a spam bot today. I don't even have anybody that I want to harass or get money out of, I'd basically be doing it just to be an asshole and see if I could get away with it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98828 on: March 20, 2016, 10:47:17 pm »

Can no longer load my Gmail inbox in Pale Moon. Looks like I'm switching to Cyberfox. Fuuuuck yoooooou, Google.

e: Holy shit, no regrets, I love this already.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:14:07 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98829 on: March 21, 2016, 12:07:24 am »

Speaking of browsers, I've been using Edge and it's actually really good. No adblockers support it yet (as far as I know) so I'll still be using Chrome/FF, but it's nice to know we can say goodbye to ye olde IE memes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #98830 on: March 21, 2016, 12:21:07 am »

Speaking of browsers, I've been using Edge and it's actually really good. No adblockers support it yet (as far as I know) so I'll still be using Chrome/FF, but it's nice to know we can say goodbye to ye olde IE memes.
Oh that's interesting I'll check it out oh hey it's exclusively for Windows 10 how about screw you Microsoft you can't tell me what to do.
I don't even particularly care about Windows 10, it's mostly petty spite that's stopping me from updating.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98831 on: March 21, 2016, 02:26:52 am »

I don't get why people have this inherent "NO!" reaction to people from other countries being the "One of Destiny" in another?

Like a Greek Pantheon finding out that an American is actually the Son of Zeus.

Is there some sort of destiny AoE that as soon as you step out of you can no longer be a child of destiny? Did the gods drop some destiny bombs or something?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98832 on: March 21, 2016, 02:40:40 am »

What series annoyed you this time?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98833 on: March 21, 2016, 03:02:41 am »

What series annoyed you this time?

No series annoyed me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #98834 on: March 21, 2016, 03:34:28 am »

I think the problem is not about people from outside being the "Chosen Ones" (although it's interesting to note how a number of "Chosen One" legends involve an origin story that makes the ostensibly outsider/peasant/whatnot Chosen One not a outsider/peasant/whatnot at all- eg: Sargon of Akkad, Moses).

The problem is about a perceived cultural imperialism. Consider The last Samurai, for instance: drunkard american soldier detoxes and becomes more adept at samurai fighting and philosophy than samurais themselves... and on top of that he manages to change aspects of said way of life which are unpalatable for modern western viewers. There's a certain annoying itch in that.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 6587 6588 [6589] 6590 6591 ... 11040