Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6575 6576 [6577] 6578 6579 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443078 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98640 on: March 17, 2016, 02:24:01 am »

hilary putnam died 3 days ago and nobody told me until just now

um

actually i thought he was already dead, i mean all of the pictures of him are black and white and he already looks old in them, and besides i only really looked him up because his last name is like my username lol

(people know what my username's from, right? if not, uh, i ain't telling, it's a good mystery)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98641 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:11 am »

i have two theories

one, the one nearest and dearest to my heart, is that you are named after robert putnam, that guy i hate

the other, i will pm you in order to preserve the aura of mystery
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98642 on: March 17, 2016, 03:11:01 am »

Putnamehere

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #98643 on: March 17, 2016, 04:08:36 am »

Well, there is that road called putnam road. You could be the metaphorical road to wizardtown.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98644 on: March 17, 2016, 05:04:04 am »

I'm sitting at a station, waiting for a train, and from where I sit I can see and smell the ocean. O.o
If it were daylight I would be able to see it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98645 on: March 17, 2016, 07:55:40 am »

So I watched Madeline (movie from my childhood I didn't get to see)

And WOW was that ending the most flubbed up endings I ever seen.

It has set up and everything! It even ups the ante... but no... everything is easily resolved.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:01:55 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98646 on: March 17, 2016, 08:05:33 am »

DF is based on complex systems interacting with each other, Minecraft... isn't even remotely). It's actually really fascinating, I like both of them for utterly different reasons.
A lot of the mods that interest me change that, involving the setup of mostly-automated production processes.  Which feels a little similar to how I usually played DF, trying to set up mass production chains.

(Which is why it still really bothers me that the job manager is limited to 30 per, and "repeat" jobs delete themselves when cancelled.  I know I should have learned DFHack or whatever, but instead I lost interest)

Next version of DF I'm going to try porting as many Minecraft mods as I can possibly consider useful, though. Adventure mode is going to be legitimately playable that way. Still no magic items that do anything, but wait what the hell I invented magic items that do things in DF I'm not sure why I'm so bummed about it "not being possible".
Wow this sounds interesting.  Though to be honest my first thought was "Adventure mode?  What minecraft mods would be good in adventure mode?"  Which is bizarre since Minecraft is designed to support adventuring, I just play it as more of an engineer.  Who sometimes goes on excursions to get unique items from dungeons (like ender lily seeds) or when required (getting the presses from Applied Energistics meteors).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98647 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:23 am »

Eh, I found the minecraft mods that let you set up contraptions to do one thing or another to be interesting, until I got into From The Depths. There's a special kind of satisfaction in carefuly designing and building a ship/plane/submarine/tank/whatever and then actualy controlling or commanding it against hordes of other things. It feels a lot more ~engineer-y~ then minecraft, thats for sure.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98648 on: March 17, 2016, 08:18:40 am »

Eh, I found the minecraft mods that let you set up contraptions to do one thing or another to be interesting, until I got into From The Depths. There's a special kind of satisfaction in carefuly designing and building a ship/plane/submarine/tank/whatever and then actualy controlling or commanding it against hordes of other things. It feels a lot more ~engineer-y~ then minecraft, thats for sure.

That is because you are actually doing something with it, with a set goal in mind.

Rather then building so you can build more things so you get things to put in things :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #98649 on: March 17, 2016, 08:58:50 am »

Well, there is that road called putnam road. You could be the metaphorical road to wizardtown.
There's many dozen putnam roads, honestly. I'm pretty sure there's at least three within a hour drive of me. Bloody things are annoyingly common.

In other WTF news, I apparently won a radio show trivia thing today. Go go gadget google?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98651 on: March 17, 2016, 12:38:51 pm »

People these days. Don't even have the common decency to put up a trigger warning. Some of us still have scars from the great duck war, you know.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98652 on: March 17, 2016, 01:05:34 pm »

Not as bad as the goosen cavalry. Squawking beasts of Hell. A guy was arguing with one on campus the other day. They were honking at each other. I am pretty sure that the guy lost the argument.

The teacher from the class before mine kept her students late. Like a half hour late. My class had to wait. It's normally an hour long class. We didn't get to really cover much. At least the normally late students weren't technically late today. Well, most of them. There are people who are 50 minutes late to an hour long class.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98653 on: March 17, 2016, 01:12:37 pm »

Today is a day of shame and disgrace for America, a day of cultural appropriation so base and so ingrained that even many of the most hardened champions of ethnic segregation remain silent as the rich heritage of a persecuted people is pillaged for superficial artifacts to be used for the entertainment of the descendents of their oppressors and others, many of whom share no connection at all with anyone involved. How dare people not even of yuropeen extraction don green garments reading "Kiss me, I'm Irish,"; do they not even understand how offensive that is?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:15:06 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98654 on: March 17, 2016, 01:17:03 pm »

Today is a day of shame and disgrace for America, a day of cultural appropriation so base and so ingrained that even many of the most hardened champions of ethnic segregation remain silent as the rich heritage of a persecuted people is pillaged for superficial artifacts to be used for the entertainment of the descendents of their oppressors and others, many of whom share no connection at all with anyone involved. How dare people not even of yuropeen extraction don green garments reading "Kiss me, I'm Irish,"; do they not even understand how offensive that is?

This...this is awesome. Thank you.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6575 6576 [6577] 6578 6579 ... 11040