Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6564 6565 [6566] 6567 6568 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444111 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98475 on: March 15, 2016, 05:17:46 pm »

I had a brief flick through one of those new Lobo comics in a store last year. Pretty lame, that's for sure.
But now you tell me they're pushing that as canon? I was under the impression that it was just a case of there being many different versions of Lobo due to alien magic shenanigans or whatever. Man, DC really needs to die already. Image for life!... or at least until they stop putting out better comics than everyone else.

Actually I haven't been buying comics for a while now due to being poor as shit and spending my few dollars on other things, so maybe they already have.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98476 on: March 15, 2016, 05:23:24 pm »

Still better than what Michael bay did with Transformers.   :P  :-[

:D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I dunno man
The new redesigns look a bit short of subtlety

Sexy is selling, so make everything sexy, regard for characters being in character damned

This is not sexy, so they turn him into Edward Cullen
Having him be killed by his Edward Cullen clone is mocking to the fanbase

I don't give a shit, so I had to look at what Lobo fans had to say

They say it aint Lobo

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98477 on: March 15, 2016, 05:36:52 pm »

Spoiler: they got Skeletor (click to show/hide)

I'M ANGRY

OVER SKELETOR

AND HE PRAYED

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98478 on: March 15, 2016, 05:41:12 pm »

I don't give a shit, so I had to look at what Lobo fans had to say

They say it aint Lobo

See, this is what I don't get.  The fans are literally the only thing of value in these IPs.   I don't understand the point of re-inventing them to the point where you alienate the only people who actually have interest in the IP. 

I can't believe there are enough people who randomly pick up the new Lobo comic to make up for all the fans who won't be buying the Lobo comic.   Same deal with Transformers & Ninja Turtle movies, but I guess those somehow makes money to make like 50 of them.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98479 on: March 15, 2016, 05:54:48 pm »

I'M ANGRY

OVER SKELETOR

AND HE PRAYED
No! Not Skeletor! And it looks like they weren't happy with him wearing a stupid armour, they also stole his jaw!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #98480 on: March 15, 2016, 05:56:44 pm »

Making new material just for your existing fans is a losing proposition, as they're going away regardless - some will outgrow the material, others won't have time or money to keep buying, and of course there's always that pesky mortality problem. You'll get some growth as parents pass interest down to their kids, and there will always be some new adopters, but this is below the loss rate. Reworking and expanding a character, particularly one that is associated with a bad era like Lobo (who is as much a product of the 90s as he is a parody of it) gives you the chance to draw in more fans. It's much like the recent trend of making new versions of a classic character gay, or non-white, or genderswapped in an attempt to draw in people that felt underrepresented among the big heroes.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98481 on: March 15, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »

Making new material just for your existing fans is a losing proposition, as they're going away regardless - some will outgrow the material, others won't have time or money to keep buying, and of course there's always that pesky mortality problem. You'll get some growth as parents pass interest down to their kids, and there will always be some new adopters, but this is below the loss rate.
Not if your fans draw in more fans and your work is actually good, a community that dies tends to die most quickly like now because what it was based on committed suicide lol

Reworking and expanding a character
This is not reworking or expanding, that's what they were doing before; this is not even replacing it with an empty husk or shell of a character it was before
This is outright replacing the character with fanfic and demanding you accept it as the real Lobo, trying to use the popularity of a preexisting character to market their soggy toast

particularly one that is associated with a bad era like Lobo (who is as much a product of the 90s as he is a parody of it) gives you the chance to draw in more fans. It's much like the recent trend of making new versions of a classic character gay, or non-white, or genderswapped in an attempt to draw in people that felt underrepresented among the big heroes.
The problem is that Lobo isn't really interesting enough to carry the story. His new backstory isn't that engaging, and his personality traits don't stand out from other superhero badasses. This Lobo was once the bodyguard and lover of a Czarnian princess, until he had to wipe out the planet's population for an undisclosed reason. Now he uses that reputation to gain headway as an intergalactic bounty hunter.

While he occasionally plays at humor using (bad) witticisms, Lobo still carries guilt from his actions. He even goes so far as to mutilate himself, burning out the part of his brain that allows him to have nightmares, until, that is, his Czarnian physiology makes it grow back. (Lobo, by the way, doesn't exaggerate any of this for humorous effect. It's all presented in a straightforward fashion within the first ten pages.)

Even if DC had gone the extra mile to make Lobo an original character, he'd be a disappointment. We've seen his personality type dozens of times: The ruthless anti-hero with a mysterious past who takes out his aggression on countless enemies. DC Comics already has characters like this. Fiction itself is filled with characters like this. The first issue offers nothing that helps Lobo stand out from the crowd; I mean, the entire reason he kills "Faux-Bo" is because apparently only Lobo has the right to live with his guilt. Give me a break.

What's especially frustrating is that Lobo is a missed opportunity for a new kind of parody. The original Lobo lampooned a hyper-violent character cliche that became the defining trait of 90s comics. The New 52 Lobo could have done this for modern comics, mocking super-serious heroes and their tragic backstories. The New 52 is dying for a series that could take the piss out of itself like that, offering self-aware humor instead of dour character reboots. Unfortunately, DC is playing this one straight, hoping he'll become a hit like Batman or Wolverine.
Instead we get edgyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I do recall there is this one big problem in particular for big execs where they want to do the choices that do not make good story, but make for good marketing. This reeks of that :P
That's not getting into the disturbing trend to replace classic characters with diversetm newtm heroes, here they don't even have any excuse for political motivation as it's just poor life choices lol, reminds me of the sheer amount of salt people had when the TT show was turned into a soulless comedy that was to TT what George Lucas did to Indiana Jones based off of comedy shows being cheap and profitable running off of the success of comedies, where now it's the same in reverse. Dingusbats need to follow that story-building is not a paint by numbers lego game to pander to your audience, that goes to corporate accessibility and the other extreme, devolving into fanwank. Craft good story, play to its strengths, never lose sight of what makes the characters them and not just interchangeable with generic scifi figure #45, if shit is out of character it is shit - and you can't get any more symbolic than your insert literally killing and vaporizing the original, leaving in its place edgy self-harming pretty boy anti-hero #9949214 :P

Also we're not going back to "bad era" moral speak for censoring things others aren't allowed to like lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:12:05 pm by Loud Whispers »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98482 on: March 15, 2016, 06:12:02 pm »

I'M ANGRY

OVER SKELETOR

AND HE PRAYED
No! Not Skeletor! And it looks like they weren't happy with him wearing a stupid armour, they also stole his jaw!

NO

NOT FUCKING SKELETOR

SKELETOR HAS BEEN MY SPIRIT ANIMAL EVER SINCE I WAS A KID

I ALWAYS THOUGHT SKELETOR WAS COOL AND HE-MAN WAS A DWEEB

I WANTED SKELETOR TO WIN AND HE HAD THE BEST LINES EVER

HE'S THE WHOLE REASON I ALWAYS WANTED TO PLAY SKELETON THINGS IN RPGseven though he's not really a skeleton

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I will cri evertim for this
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98483 on: March 15, 2016, 06:13:54 pm »

Heeyyyeayyyeyayayh ;-;

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98484 on: March 15, 2016, 06:18:18 pm »

As the King (of Mafia) I declare a period of mourning for Skeletor's fate. May his torture be brief.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98486 on: March 15, 2016, 06:20:43 pm »

Wait, what? They're cramming Skeletor into the DC Universe? ???
Last I saw Masters of the Universe had a comic through DC that was actually kinda cool... I guess they decided they had to ruin it with a pile of uninspired crossovers. Man, DC really does suck nowadays. Is Marvel this bad, too? I haven't looked at any of their stuff in a while, when I do happen to walk into a comic store the most prominent shelves of the 'new arrivals' rack are generally plastered with New 52 trash and I just go straight to the Image/independent section.

...R.I.P. Skeletor. :'(
I will binge-watch some classic MoTU as soon as I am able. Skeletor was the best thing about the show.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98487 on: March 15, 2016, 06:21:16 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6izvB1t3tM
Skeletor is the best skeleton. (With Ricesnot as a second)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98488 on: March 15, 2016, 06:22:15 pm »

On a side note, has the forum been having massive random slowdowns every now and then or is it on my end?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98489 on: March 15, 2016, 06:33:36 pm »

How does one "NYEH" without a lower jaw?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 6564 6565 [6566] 6567 6568 ... 11040