Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6556 6557 [6558] 6559 6560 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441960 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98355 on: March 13, 2016, 02:35:04 pm »

Then you modify how you record it.

A10A and so on.

Anyway, that's not a limitation of the process, only how it's recorded. I maintain the literal impossibility.
This is like the richter scale of exhibit As

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98356 on: March 13, 2016, 02:58:12 pm »

Alternatively, Exhibit AA, AB, AC etc.
They have run out of those.

It is literally impossible to run out of that :P
Not true, though it is unlikely to occur. eventually you reach the point the designations are impractically long and you can't fit any content other than the designation itself on whatever visual media you are using. at that point you need a new scheme simply for space.

Then you modify how you record it.

A10A and so on.

Anyway, that's not a limitation of the process, only how it's recorded. I maintain the literal impossibility.
I maintain that it's an alteration of the system, but even ignoring that, eventually the problem will reoccur, no matter how many ways you compress or reorganize the data, you cannot count to infinity on a finite data storage medium. Infinity is impossible, and your system WILL break given a sufficiently large set of unique data entries to organize. no matter your system, eventually the identifiers will become larger than the finite storage medium you are putting them on.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #98357 on: March 13, 2016, 03:01:25 pm »

Yeah, but the space efficiency for counting is logarithmic, which is really quite good enough.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98358 on: March 13, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »

Wouldn't the data entries break the system before the identifiers?
One wheel short of a wagon

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98359 on: March 13, 2016, 04:18:35 pm »

Wouldn't the data entries break the system before the identifiers?
Nah, the entry that broke the system might simply be a timestamp + "punches puppy".
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #98360 on: March 13, 2016, 04:30:23 pm »

The only drawback to your thing is the finite system. The alphabet thing I was proposing is an infinite set (albeit in base 26...) that you can "count" through. The limitations of any storage system don't affect that quality.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98361 on: March 13, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »

The only drawback to your thing is the finite system. The alphabet thing I was proposing is an infinite set (albeit in base 26...) that you can "count" through. The limitations of any storage system don't affect that quality.
lies, you responded to my first statement of non-infinity by adding more characters (the numbers 0-9 and superscript: yes, i know you meant it as math but that only works if you round off characters, at which point you don't have unique data entries anymore) you modified it to at least base 36, probably base 124 (numbers + upper/lower case and superscript/normal text)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:52:27 pm by Lenglon »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98362 on: March 13, 2016, 04:56:16 pm »

I was responding to your argument that it's difficult storage-wise, so A10 = AAAAAAAAAA. My fault for poor explaining.

I said nothing of lower-case letters or any other method for counting beyond what I already posited :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98363 on: March 13, 2016, 05:00:51 pm »

I was responding to your argument that it's difficult storage-wise, so A10 = AAAAAAAAAA. My fault for poor explaining.

I said nothing of lower-case letters or any other method for counting beyond what I already posited :P
But that's just combinations of letters and numbers, you aren't avoiding the problem at all, just delaying it till another order of data must be stored :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98364 on: March 13, 2016, 05:02:42 pm »

But that's just combinations of letters and numbers, you aren't avoiding the problem at all, just delaying it till another order of data must be stored :P

I don't care about data storage, just the countable infinity of my data-set :P

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98365 on: March 13, 2016, 05:04:02 pm »

I propose we label them with protein sequences instead of names. yes, there's still a data limit, but it's orders of magnitudes higher than traditional letters/numbers/symbols

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98366 on: March 13, 2016, 05:07:42 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:19:19 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98367 on: March 13, 2016, 05:10:09 pm »

Funny ha-ha, or funny *waggles hands*?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98368 on: March 13, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:19:12 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98369 on: March 13, 2016, 05:42:20 pm »

But unless you have infinite symbols that can be expressed within a finite space, your data markers will always increase in size once enough are needed. Unless I've misunderstood the whole thing.
Pages: 1 ... 6556 6557 [6558] 6559 6560 ... 11040