Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6533 6534 [6535] 6536 6537 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449780 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98010 on: March 08, 2016, 06:46:32 pm »

He then presented a rating system for humans in which people are continually evaluated. Like the taxi service Uber, where customers rate drivers and drivers rate customers, but for all of life, visible to everyone.

That... actually sounds horrifying. Why would anyone consider that a good idea?
Pretty sure the PRC has already implemented something similar to that.

Also: Rand's adherents. Because obviously they will be rated as the most superior people on the planet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98011 on: March 08, 2016, 06:48:02 pm »

I don't know man, when someone comes at you with the air combo, the only defense is the blockchain.

(seriously though, a lack of scarcity isn't a problem that needs to be remedied)
It's only a problem because of the current economy.

But this is so backwards, this is like seeing a fish on land, and instead of putting it in water where it's adapted to swim and be free, you surgically graft lungs onto it so now it can breathe on land! ... I mean it can't move or anything, but it can breathe!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98012 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:04 pm »

You just have to imagine it alongside some of the other stuff they mentioned, like that system where literally anything can be rented out when it's not in use. Imagine a society where anyone can profit off anyone else at any time - all we have to do to get there is give up privacy. It sounds amazing. There'd be no poverty because even the poorest person could rent the shirt off his back whenever he takes it off to bathe - if he gets good reviews I'm sure he could make more off the shirt rental than he's spending on the shower rental.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98013 on: March 08, 2016, 07:09:27 pm »

Wouldn't it be more pleasant to just not do the whole artificial scarcity thing?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98014 on: March 08, 2016, 07:09:34 pm »

The blockchain would, in essence, allow capitalism to more fully move into the realm of the internet. This has always failed in the past, because in digital environments, everything is so easy to copy. Therefore nothing is scarce, which is why digital content, like music, images, and text, is almost always free, or extremely protected. The blockchain’s comprehensive ability to allocate each piece of code within its system could completely eliminate the possibility of copying a song, for example, because who has which digital copy when would be traceable. A digital magazine based on the blockchain system would have unique copies, just like a printed magazine. It could be bought and sold like a physical object.
Literally retarded. Even if the file itself is somehow protected by magical DRM, you can just... record the music playing? Take a screenshoot of the fucking image? Rewrite the fucking text (I agree, some of these are tedious and basically everything relies on someone owning the thing in first place (like current piracy doesn't) but honestly, I belive all of this can be achieved without losing nothing of the quality and even making files smaller due to not being infested with uneccesary shit). I mean, the DRM stuff works at least a bit with games since you can't really remake one (at least not without tremendous effort) so you have to crack the blockade, but with music? Unless you can hijack air waves you can't stop piracy. Holy shit, at worst people would just do it like people did in Poland years ago, record the song from the radio and THERE YOU FUCKING GO. Same thing with pictures and text, just take a goddamn picture of the picture or text.
It took me 10 seconds to crack this next-gen superior bullshit that will apparently change the world forever. Okay, they might implement something against this but I don't really see it happening without everyone getting a fucking Big Brother in everything, which may be the case in the article but honestly I didin't even want to read it because the quotes were enough.

EDIT:
I may be missing the point completly but I am just thrown off the rails everytime someone mentions a "gamechanging" solution to piracy. That's not going to happen unless you can implant DRM straight into people or something.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:12:54 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98015 on: March 08, 2016, 07:11:09 pm »

You just have to imagine it alongside some of the other stuff they mentioned, like that system where literally anything can be rented out when it's not in use. Imagine a society where anyone can profit off anyone else at any time - all we have to do to get there is give up privacy. It sounds amazing. There'd be no poverty because even the poorest person could rent the shirt off his back whenever he takes it off to bathe - if he gets good reviews I'm sure he could make more off the shirt rental than he's spending on the shower rental.
Why would anyone ever rent a shirt? You can buy them for 5 bucks. Some people just don't have anything to offer society and until all scarcity is eliminated then those people will always be in poverty.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98016 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:56 pm »

Why would anyone ever rent a shirt? You can buy them for 5 bucks. Some people just don't have anything to offer society and until all scarcity is eliminated then those people will always be in poverty.
I could theoretically see people going for renting shirts off famous people.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98017 on: March 08, 2016, 07:15:17 pm »

Yeah, but unless they're Kayne West, they don't need the money, now do they?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98018 on: March 08, 2016, 07:18:25 pm »

Yeah, but unless they're Kayne West, they don't need the money, now do they?
Not all famous people are especially (as in, millions of dollars) rich, people like famous Youtubers would totally do this shit for huge wads of cash and I am afraid that it would work.

Also yeah, funilly enough the two people I thought of when I wrote that were Kayne and Kim.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98019 on: March 08, 2016, 07:26:03 pm »

Inb4 Rent-a-Panty is proposed.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98020 on: March 08, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »

I would guess it already exists somewhere.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #98021 on: March 08, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »

The blockchain would, in essence, allow capitalism to more fully move into the realm of the internet. This has always failed in the past, because in digital environments, everything is so easy to copy. Therefore nothing is scarce, which is why digital content, like music, images, and text, is almost always free, or extremely protected. The blockchain’s comprehensive ability to allocate each piece of code within its system could completely eliminate the possibility of copying a song, for example, because who has which digital copy when would be traceable. A digital magazine based on the blockchain system would have unique copies, just like a printed magazine. It could be bought and sold like a physical object.
Literally retarded. Even if the file itself is somehow protected by magical DRM, you can just... record the music playing? Take a screenshoot of the fucking image? Rewrite the fucking text (I agree, some of these are tedious and basically everything relies on someone owning the thing in first place (like current piracy doesn't) but honestly, I belive all of this can be achieved without losing nothing of the quality and even making files smaller due to not being infested with uneccesary shit). I mean, the DRM stuff works at least a bit with games since you can't really remake one (at least not without tremendous effort) so you have to crack the blockade, but with music? Unless you can hijack air waves you can't stop piracy. Holy shit, at worst people would just do it like people did in Poland years ago, record the song from the radio and THERE YOU FUCKING GO. Same thing with pictures and text, just take a goddamn picture of the picture or text.
It took me 10 seconds to crack this next-gen superior bullshit that will apparently change the world forever. Okay, they might implement something against this but I don't really see it happening without everyone getting a fucking Big Brother in everything, which may be the case in the article but honestly I didin't even want to read it because the quotes were enough.

EDIT:
I may be missing the point completly but I am just thrown off the rails everytime someone mentions a "gamechanging" solution to piracy. That's not going to happen unless you can implant DRM straight into people or something.
I have seen something like this work before: TF2 has unique or almost unique electronic goods that are worth significant money.  However this only works because the value of those items is showing them off to other people in an environment Valve controls.  Anyone can rip the model or grant themselves the item in a custom server.  Items based on being experienced or understood (like music, or ebooks) cannot be protected in the same way.  Because once you have a jailbroken copy on your computer you can just experience it in isolation.  Even if Big Brother could somehow reach out across the internet to catch you nothing is stopping you from unplugging that router.

I would guess it already exists somewhere.
Well, not renting, but yes that does exist...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98022 on: March 08, 2016, 08:22:35 pm »

http://www.barneys.com/barneys-new-york?prefn1=brand&pagetype=brand&prefv1=Christian%20Louboutin

I kinda wonder how those artistic horrors compare with 20-25 dollar shoes durability wise.
I mean damn most of these look like they won't last more than a few months... then again they will be out of fashion in a month and you'd need to buy a new pair anyway.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98023 on: March 08, 2016, 08:28:31 pm »

I dunno, the boot on page 1 looks pretty robust.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98024 on: March 08, 2016, 08:32:11 pm »

Yeah but it's also 4 times more expensive $3000 compared to the average of $750.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 6533 6534 [6535] 6536 6537 ... 11040