Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6472 6473 [6474] 6475 6476 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456618 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #97095 on: February 23, 2016, 06:32:10 am »

Robot Parade: Is there a mutual friend you can temp pass support onto? That might be best at the moment. Your situation is exactly why Im kind of rotating through support people each time my functioning level is collapsing. She is possibly very aware of the stress she is passing onto you, and instead of focussing on the right now, that your still here, she's focussing on the future where it becomes to much and you go away
, again, possibly fully aware that it is a self fulfilling prophecy. As someone going through possibly something similar. Let me just say I very much appreciate anyone who gives me a shoulder to lean on, and I hope to never lean on someone strong enough that I drag them down with me.

To continue with my earlier wtf. Im back to normal levels of functioning, and am embarrased that I even made the post to begin with. Thank you everyone for saying my post was ok!
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97096 on: February 23, 2016, 10:01:35 am »

There is nothing more annoying to debug than a script that terminates without an error message. Especially if there are multiple potential causes for such termination. Why do people do these things?
._.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97097 on: February 23, 2016, 11:12:03 am »

There is nothing more annoying to debug than a script that terminates without an error message. Especially if there are multiple potential causes for such termination. Why do people do these things?

Laziness, mostly.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #97098 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:49 am »

also, i just look like shit usually
That one, at least, is easy to fix. Wake up 10 minutes earlier and go to bed 10 minutes later, and use those 10 minutes before and after sleeping to do some little steps towards making yourself look better (shower, shave, push ups, whatever you feel will push you towards looking better). Force yourself to hold that habit without ever breaking it for at least 2 weeks (a month is preferable) to establish it as a habit. Then stop worrying about it (or at least don't go out of your way to do so), and over time if you hold that habit you will eventually start to look better. Change is slow, but as long as you're moving towards the goal then you're winning.
i already shower every evening (because my hair often manages to look worse when i've just showered), and i don't actually need to shave more than once every one or two weeks. push-ups... eh. i did that, once. don't know why i stopped, probably because it's too cold on my room just before i go to sleep in the winter. when i tried to start again the tendons in my shoulders hurt a lot, which didnt seem to be a very good thing :/

the shit im most insecure about is probably my hair which looks really bad most of the time, but i have no idea what to do about it.

and man, i really feel like i'm not moving towards my goal right now. i've made no concrete progress in two months.

i try to get "out there" more, it's why i decided to start playing mtg. except everybody at my lgs is a dude so it basically didn't help me at all. yay. what the fuck am i even supposed to do when all of my interests are massive sausage fests.
On the other hand really the only answer to something like this is "find a hobby that isn't a massive sausage fest", sadly. Find something that sounds somewhat interesting and that is a bit more gender neutral and start looking into it. If you look hard enough there is usually at least something that you can find somewhat interesting and has both genders. That said it is worth mentioning that even talking with members of the same sex is still good social practice; maybe not quite as good at obtaining your eventual goal, but still helpful at least in some ways.
i really can't think of anything, at all. aand even if i could, it probably wouldnt exist in this shitty city. "wait until you go to uni" is not an option, because i would prefer not to be an awkward recluse for the next two years.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97099 on: February 23, 2016, 11:58:45 am »

"wait until you go to uni" is not an option, because i would prefer not to be an awkward recluse for the next two years.

Take up gardening. Weird suggestion, I know, but you'll grow food/other plants and any excess you can give away/sell off. It's a conversation starter, at least.

And as for pests/other stuff: don't worry about them. Plant a large variety (as many different kinds as you can fit) so even if some plants are affected others may not be.

Also, don't water them, that damages the root system. Cover the seeds in soil and drop them to the ground, and let the rains do the work. Obviously this is a problem during a drought but ya know.

EDIT: Here's a subreddit if you're interested.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #97100 on: February 23, 2016, 12:19:05 pm »

Yeah, often some of the more artistic/personalized places have a higher girl/guy ratio than the game-based ones (just as a general guideline). This is gonna sound somewhat sexist, but picking up something like joining a book club, gardening, dance, cooking, painting, soap making, or similar hobbies will greatly increase the numbers of women involved in the groups as opposed to card game playing, sports, or video games. (Again, not trying to be sexist here, or trying to say that that's where women "belong", I'm just stating trends based off of the pure data that I personally have observed.) And as inteuniso mentioned, in a worst case they still serve as good conversational topics.

push-ups... eh. i did that, once. don't know why i stopped, probably because it's too cold on my room just before i go to sleep in the winter. when i tried to start again the tendons in my shoulders hurt a lot, which didnt seem to be a very good thing :/
That's generally why you want to take a week or so just doing some stretches without much of a real workout, and then always start with a minute or two of stretching before you do anything serious. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97101 on: February 23, 2016, 12:40:25 pm »

I recall there being a study that found muscle pulling is MORE likely when you stretch because the muscles will tighten as a result of it.
I think you might be slightly confused. The idea of warming up or stretching before you seriously exercise is pretty much the first object on any list of "How to avoid pulled muscles". Most likely what you are remembering is a study on whether you should keep stretching AFTER you pull a muscle, which can aggravate the healing process and cause further problems if you aren't careful.

It is also important to note that stretching does not constitute a warm up on its own, and is only a part of the beginning of a real workout.

Edit: Followup, it's also important to note the two different kinds of stretching. Static stretching at the start of a workout can, in some cases, lead to injuries because your muscles aren't ready for it (it's great at the end of a workout though). On the other hand dynamic stretching is great at the start of a workout, and should be an intrinsic part of any warm up routine to help protect you against accidental injury.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:42:44 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97102 on: February 23, 2016, 12:42:58 pm »

Also stretching incorrectly instead of improving your performance and muscle healing will just cause damage, possibly permanent. Stretch correctly

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97103 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:04 pm »

I'm probably too late for the whole wtf train resulting from this, but :v

EDIT: and ye, stretching incorrectly can really raise the overall likeness of pulling a muscle, but proper warm up is pretty much recommended if you're going to do any actual exercise. I still have vivid memories of a physical test thing I took part in, in which more then one participant pulled a leg muscle and ended up falling to the ground in pain due to not warming up before doing a 100 meter sprint. Warming up doesn't necessarily equate to stretching, though, stretching is just part of it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:47:25 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #97104 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:47 pm »

The NHS site says that there's little evidence stretching helps or hurts you significantly, unless you specifically need more joint flexibility for something like gymnastics.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:45:19 pm by penguinofhonor »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #97105 on: February 23, 2016, 01:06:27 pm »

"wait until you go to uni" is not an option, because i would prefer not to be an awkward recluse for the next two years.

Take up gardening. Weird suggestion, I know, but you'll grow food/other plants and any excess you can give away/sell off. It's a conversation starter, at least.

And as for pests/other stuff: don't worry about them. Plant a large variety (as many different kinds as you can fit) so even if some plants are affected others may not be.

Also, don't water them, that damages the root system. Cover the seeds in soil and drop them to the ground, and let the rains do the work. Obviously this is a problem during a drought but ya know.

EDIT: Here's a subreddit if you're interested.
i'm 16 years old. i might do this if i wouldnt have to convince my parents for vague reasons that i want to take up gardening, but now it just seems sort of impossible.

Yeah, often some of the more artistic/personalized places have a higher girl/guy ratio than the game-based ones (just as a general guideline). This is gonna sound somewhat sexist, but picking up something like joining a book club, gardening, dance, cooking, painting, soap making, or similar hobbies will greatly increase the numbers of women involved in the groups as opposed to card game playing, sports, or video games. (Again, not trying to be sexist here, or trying to say that that's where women "belong", I'm just stating trends based off of the pure data that I personally have observed.) And as inteuniso mentioned, in a worst case they still serve as good conversational topics.

push-ups... eh. i did that, once. don't know why i stopped, probably because it's too cold on my room just before i go to sleep in the winter. when i tried to start again the tendons in my shoulders hurt a lot, which didnt seem to be a very good thing :/
That's generally why you want to take a week or so just doing some stretches without much of a real workout, and then always start with a minute or two of stretching before you do anything serious. :P
well yeah i am in a creative writing class for school and it is literally all girls except for me and one other dude, but it's basically silent 90% of the time...

even when it isn't, i can hardly manage to talk to anybody :/

then again, this is because circumstances have me sitting next to the only other dude all the time. and when i'm not (e.g. when the teacher is absent), everybody talks with their friends who are also in this class, except i dont have any friends in this class.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97106 on: February 23, 2016, 01:09:21 pm »

Acquire friends in class :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97107 on: February 23, 2016, 01:17:55 pm »

Yeah, breaking into groups of friends can be a lot of difficulty. :-\ Honestly the best way I've found so far is group work, which everyone groans about, but serves as one of the best setups to introduce yourself to someone else. I don't know if you do this in your particular creative writing class, but if you do any sort of peer critiquing that could also probably be a good time to introduce yourself.

Generally the first break through is the hardest part, but once introductions are done you can interact a bit more. In a worst case you can always just interject on something before/after class and follow it up by introducing yourself. It's one of the absolute most awkward ways to break the wall that way, but once the wall is down you can comment and slowly regain that lost ground.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #97108 on: February 23, 2016, 01:22:58 pm »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97109 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:23 pm »

We're gonna need a bigger gun.
Pages: 1 ... 6472 6473 [6474] 6475 6476 ... 11040