Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6459 6460 [6461] 6462 6463 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442051 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96900 on: February 20, 2016, 08:51:17 pm »

I was under the impression you didn't mind what people called you?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96901 on: February 20, 2016, 08:57:55 pm »

That's the impression I got too, before.  Time proceeds, though!  People gain understanding, and courage.
I'm genderfluid, and Cinder's a girl.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96902 on: February 20, 2016, 08:58:22 pm »

Remember kids: when in doubt, use "they"!

And that also gives you the opportunity to say "themself", which is a reward in and of itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96903 on: February 20, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »

I really hate using singular they in writing, but I use it more often than not in speech, even when it's unnecessary. Is that weird?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96904 on: February 20, 2016, 09:11:55 pm »

Shakespeare did it, how bad can it be?
And it doesn't emphasize gender when gender is irrelevant...  That means a lot, at least to some people (like me).
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96905 on: February 20, 2016, 09:16:29 pm »

What even is genderfluid? I was unaware it was an actual phenomenon, but maybe it's use on... certain parts of the internet have spoiled the definition for me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #96906 on: February 20, 2016, 09:19:57 pm »

It means exactly what the word says - it describes a person who's gender is in a fluid, in other words not fixed, state. At some times they ID as male, other times female, sometimes other and sometimes none.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96907 on: February 20, 2016, 09:23:59 pm »

Because using someone's name multiple times in a sentence is obnoxious.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96908 on: February 20, 2016, 09:24:32 pm »

You can do that :P But they'll also have preferred names at times--and this is OK because it's a name.

{Stuff!}
As far as I know, Cin is also like you there :O

Because using someone's name multiple times in a sentence is obnoxious.
Semantics occur here :P

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96909 on: February 20, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »

It means exactly what the word says - it describes a person who's gender is in a fluid, in other words not fixed, state. At some times they ID as male, other times female, sometimes other and sometimes none.
I still don't completely understand. I know what it means, but it's just odd.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #96910 on: February 20, 2016, 09:27:14 pm »

for some reason I tend to default to "he" when talking about someone whos gender I don't know. I will mention I don't know but I still use he. I also use they but I will usually use he at least once.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96911 on: February 20, 2016, 09:31:37 pm »

That's pretty normal!  I use "they" out of habit and would *prefer* that everyone do that, but it's not like I'm supreme ruler of the world :P
yet

... but I would rather be referred to as "they"

What even is genderfluid? I was unaware it was an actual phenomenon, but maybe it's use on... certain parts of the internet have spoiled the definition for me.
To be honest I'm not involved with any movements, and only observe LGBT groups, occasionally, so all I can share is what it means to me.

I don't feel male or female, both extremes repulse me.  But parts of each also feel very right.  Basically both "sides" are blanket terms which encompass a ton of barely-related ideas...

I don't subscribe to the gender binary, I don't feel at all comfortable on either side.  For example, I really really hate my fast-growing facial hair.  But I don't want or feel like I ought to have boobs.  I don't care at all which genitals I have.  I should have long flowing hair, and I'm frustrated that it only grows a little under my shoulders after 5 years without cutting.

I know it looks like "I wanna be a girl today, but not tomorrow".  All I can say is that it doesn't feel that way at all.
She/they

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96912 on: February 20, 2016, 09:33:40 pm »

for some reason I tend to default to "he" when talking about someone whos gender I don't know. I will mention I don't know but I still use he. I also use they but I will usually use he at least once.
I end up doing that sometimes, I think because portuguese has no "it" or "they" (each gender has its own plural, and all words are gendered) and the default is whatever is the word's gender if you don't know.

Example: mosquito(es) is(are) a male-gendered word, so they get called "he" despite only females being encountered with regularity.

Rolan: Wouldn't that make you more agendered (is that even a word?) than genderfluid?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96913 on: February 20, 2016, 09:40:16 pm »

To be honest I'm not involved with any movements, and only observe LGBT groups, occasionally, so all I can share is what it means to me.

I don't feel male or female, both extremes repulse me.  But parts of each also feel very right.  Basically both "sides" are blanket terms which encompass a ton of barely-related ideas...

I don't subscribe to the gender binary, I don't feel at all comfortable on either side.  For example, I really really hate my fast-growing facial hair.  But I don't want or feel like I ought to have boobs.  I don't care at all which genitals I have.  I should have long flowing hair, and I'm frustrated that it only grows a little under my shoulders after 5 years without cutting.

I know it looks like "I wanna be a girl today, but not tomorrow".  All I can say is that it doesn't feel that way at all.
I know how it feels to not be able to describe something solidly, so I'm going to refuse to question it any further and just believe you. It sounds odd, but it makes... sense in a way.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96914 on: February 20, 2016, 09:42:03 pm »

Well, on these forums here, you've got an overwhelming chance of actually being right when if you called someone a 'he'.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 6459 6460 [6461] 6462 6463 ... 11040