Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6451 6452 [6453] 6454 6455 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444002 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96780 on: February 18, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »

I need to choose a research topic for my economic history class.  My options include effectively literally anything before 1960, but also needs to be anally specific.  "You should test or attempt to study a specific hypothesis using historical data" is my only other guideline.

I don't even know where to start.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96781 on: February 18, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »

Grab a topic. I can give suggestions if you like.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96782 on: February 18, 2016, 08:26:39 pm »

I need to choose a research topic for my economic history class.  My options include effectively literally anything before 1960, but also needs to be anally specific.  "You should test or attempt to study a specific hypothesis using historical data" is my only other guideline.

I don't even know where to start.
How about the impact of boats seized from Germany in Versailles on the English shipbuilding industry
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #96783 on: February 18, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »

Perhaps something about cod. Hypothesize that the impact of WWI on the codfishing industry was negative, and then compare existent data to see whether that is an accurate presumption.

If you do choose that topic, be sure to subtly overuse the word "piece" while you're writing, as a stealth joke.

E: There's even at least one book you could cite for data on historical trends, which seems to include the time period in question. Maybe not buy it, but it might be available in your library system or available somewhere else, cheaper.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:35:31 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96784 on: February 18, 2016, 08:33:24 pm »

The impact of wartime timber needs on truffel farming and prices.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96785 on: February 18, 2016, 08:43:42 pm »

The role of reliance on imported industrial materials on Japan's entry into WWII.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96786 on: February 18, 2016, 08:49:27 pm »

Analyze the history of industrialization in Austria-Hungary vs. their neighbors.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:52:52 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96787 on: February 18, 2016, 08:55:05 pm »

Yeah, do that one - that one's interesting! You could in particular do a compare&contrast with Germany and Russia.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96788 on: February 18, 2016, 08:58:25 pm »

The big problem is, every time I search for scholarly articles, either:

I find nothing

I find something, but its too general or barely related

I find something, but the database only has the abstract, or not even that

I find something, but its not my university's database, so I have to pay to look at it
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96789 on: February 18, 2016, 08:59:30 pm »

Oh, yeah, shoot for that. Comparative analysis is almost always incredibly easy, since you have to make fewer original inferences from data and can rely much more heavily on pointing out similarities/differences and trying to identify causes. That's your undergrad bread and butter.

Also if you want help with research, PM me what you're looking for and I'll help you out both with finding articles and search methods, I've still got uni access to plenty of relevant databases.

3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96790 on: February 18, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »

It's beautiful, isn't it?

The next step, of course, is to build a Dwarf Fortress computer that runs Minecraft.
How about a Minecraft computer that runs Dwarf Fortress that runs a computer that runs Minecraft?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96791 on: February 18, 2016, 09:41:23 pm »

I think I'll just fail the class.  The library's website isn't useful, and google scholar either gives irrelevant bunk or stuff that costs too much (usually both).  I've approached the professor twice about any direction on the paper at all, but he is being intentionally useless, giving no advice but going to the database and GS.  And if I can't pull a 15 page paper out of my ass, there's no point in doing anything else for the class, much less showing up.

And I have a paper for African Development, with instructions that are equally vague.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #96792 on: February 18, 2016, 09:50:58 pm »

I'm staying in Boston for the night, making it my first actual time in a big city.

Why the fuck are there so many people? Where do they all live when there are no houses? Are these things connected? Why the fuck are there so many escalators? Why the fuck is everyone in such a hurry? Why is every building so huge? What goes in the top floors? Why do people honk their horns even if nothing is wrong? Why does everyone drive like an asshole? Why do people even have cars when it's cheaper and easier and faster to use the T? Are these things connected? Why is so much shit made of bricks? Why is everything under construction in some way? Are these things connected?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96793 on: February 18, 2016, 09:58:26 pm »

Questions people in big cities are too busy to be asking themselves
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96794 on: February 18, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »

I think I'll just fail the class.  The library's website isn't useful, and google scholar either gives irrelevant bunk or stuff that costs too much (usually both).  I've approached the professor twice about any direction on the paper at all, but he is being intentionally useless, giving no advice but going to the database and GS.  And if I can't pull a 15 page paper out of my ass, there's no point in doing anything else for the class, much less showing up.

And I have a paper for African Development, with instructions that are equally vague.
*shrug*

That's how higher education is. You're expected to be able to develop your own ideas to investigate and evaluate. If you're not willing to try to learn how to use the resources that are in place (for one, if the university library doesn't have ways set up for you to get in touch with one of their staff to ask questions, or a student writing center, I'll eat my hat) and don't want to have to develop your own research topics, it's not really a good fit for you, unless you're in a major that doesn't require critical thinking skills or creativity.

And as I said, if you want some help learning to use research databases (and I mean real ones, not Google Scholar), PM me. Well-defined search parameters make a world of difference, and you're going to find a lot more full-text sources going through your uni's access portal (since they pay for students and faculty to get access to a bunch of pay-gated resources).

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6451 6452 [6453] 6454 6455 ... 11040