Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6409 6410 [6411] 6412 6413 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444221 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96150 on: February 11, 2016, 12:36:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure alleecat has never been banned.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96151 on: February 11, 2016, 12:42:06 pm »

Yep. Definitely got them mixed up.
Apologies to Allee, that's a pretty insulting slip-up.
To those quoting this: the slip-up was me saying I'd messaged someone before they got banned asking them to slow down, either smeeprocket or Alleecat.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:00:33 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #96152 on: February 11, 2016, 12:56:46 pm »

Oh, and their favoured breed of dog? Basically large corgis.

You accidentally the link.

Oh, darmit. It was supposed to link to this breed.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #96153 on: February 11, 2016, 01:39:47 pm »

I'd see it as very offensive, actually. Guess it does depend on where you are.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96154 on: February 11, 2016, 01:49:07 pm »

I've never viewed 'cunt' as a massively offensive word, and thought that extended to the rest of England.

Apparently it's actually quite a divisive issue. A lot of people view it as practically sacrilege, others view it as basically just another swear.

Although a number of people that say it's the most offensive word seem to also say that we don't really give much of a shit about offensive words when compared to America.
Words to do with vaginas seem to carry the most weight. In my experience. No idea why, taboo something something probably.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96155 on: February 11, 2016, 01:57:22 pm »

I've never viewed 'cunt' as a massively offensive word, and thought that extended to the rest of England.

Apparently it's actually quite a divisive issue. A lot of people view it as practically sacrilege, others view it as basically just another swear.

Although a number of people that say it's the most offensive word seem to also say that we don't really give much of a shit about offensive words when compared to America.
Wait, what?
Wow, I thought the entirety of the UK was okay with "cunt". Obviously it's considered super offensive in America, but I didn't know that was ever a thing in England. Here it peppers pretty much every second sentence... although I do vaguely remember thinking it was kinda really bad back when I was a kid.

I guess in Australia the skill of incorporating the word cunt into every situation is the true mark of adulthood.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96156 on: February 11, 2016, 02:01:46 pm »

Look the point everyone should take is that women themselves, their bodies, and their minds are insults to be thrown at people. The end.

Ok joke aside. I do feel awkward towards just the sheer number of insults that basically amount to "Your a woman!" or "You have a woman part!"

How many guy insults can I name?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoilered for mild swear, in case your still in elementary.

And yes I do include Bro as an insult. I know it is neutral but I never hear it to refer to the sort of semi-jovial Gregorian social construct. "Bro" is essentially the male term for "bimbo"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:03:46 pm by Neonivek »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #96157 on: February 11, 2016, 02:04:47 pm »

I'd see it as very offensive, actually. Guess it does depend on where you are.
If you live in America it's not surprising, not sure if you live in the UK or not.

Apparently in Scotland, Ireland and Australia it's used pretty frequently though. I'd be unsurprised to learn if that was the case in England but exposure to American media and culture with the internet coming about people went 'They find it highly offensive, therefore it must be highly offensive.'

One thing I have realised about myself, though, is that these insults really have no effect on me. If someone called me a cunt, dick, twat, shitlord or anything it's... well, they're words. It doesn't make sense to me for me to be offended by them. What offends me is actually when someone starts doing stuff like making lies or purposely misconstruing what I say to try and make me look bad.

I live in Northern Ireland - it's not really common. F*** is very common, but not that one. It's almost like anyone saying it is making an extra effort to be offensive.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96158 on: February 11, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »

Look the point everyone should take is that women themselves, their bodies, and their minds are insults to be thrown at people. The end.

Ok joke aside. I do feel awkward towards just the sheer number of insults that basically amount to "Your a woman!" or "You have a woman part!"

And yes I do include Bro as an insult. I know it is neutral but I never hear it to refer to the sort of semi-jovial Gregorian social construct. "Bro" is essentially the male term for "bimbo"

Wait, are you seriously arguing that there's more profanity associated exclusively with female anatomy than male? Maybe it's different in the Commonwealth, but 'round here the former is basically unheard of.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96159 on: February 11, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »

Wait, are you seriously arguing that there's more profanity associated exclusively with female anatomy than male? Maybe it's different in the Commonwealth, but 'round here the former is basically unheard of.
Besides, it's funny. I mean, male sexuality is already stereotyped as some sort of brute and destructive force, and what do we call somebody who is being a destructive brute? A dick. I'm supposed to be okay with this, despite the sexism inherent in it (I mean WTF, people are basically using my sexuality as shorthand for 'misery and ruin of a distinctively petty quality'), but for some reason I have to be offended by 'cunt' on behalf of women everywhere or something.

Long story short: if you look for semantic content and social meaning in swearwords, you're gonna have a bad time.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96160 on: February 11, 2016, 02:45:15 pm »

Cunt is only really offensive with the appropriate prefix, though- 'Shit-cunt' is pretty much the worst, whereas 'Mad-cunt' is actually a big compliment.
On its own, cunt basically means person.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96161 on: February 11, 2016, 02:54:26 pm »

If you wanted me to recite all the insults referring to male genitalia I've heard, we'd be here all night and into the morning. There's a lot more insults than just "dick".
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96162 on: February 11, 2016, 02:55:31 pm »

True that. Many male swearwords exist in the UK, for example: "wanker" (generally male), "bellend", "prick", etc.

Dunno about eagleland, but you've managed to make some words carry some pretty fucked up connotations that don't involve sex or gender anyway.

Still think that female swear words are stronger. Maybe different historical attitudes to women's bodies.

Easy on the defence there Avis, you're looking a bit like a member of one of those men's rights movements. The nonfeminist ones.
And we all know Avis doesn't meet enough women to have his sexuality discriminated against~

Seriously though.
I mean, male sexuality is already stereotyped as some sort of brute and destructive force, and what do we call somebody who is being a destructive brute? A dick.

Long story short: if you look for semantic content and social meaning in swearwords, you're gonna have a bad time.
:P
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #96163 on: February 11, 2016, 03:00:22 pm »

I don't believe for a second eagleland is devoid of gendered insults, even with PC takeover you can't airbrush the past tossers, buggerers, wankers, kid-diddlers, pork inspectors, pricks, dicks, limp-dicked, wet flannels and all

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96164 on: February 11, 2016, 03:07:02 pm »

We have a shitload. Just almost none associated with women; all I can think of is "pussy" used as a synonym for "wimp". 'course, we also use a lot of ungendered/bigendered stuff (that is, "asshole", "fuck" and the various derivates, &c.). I can convey just about any sentiment solely with the right intonation of "fuck", for example. "Cunt" is definitely seen as the worst of the worst when it comes to profanity here, and isn't really used much besides.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6409 6410 [6411] 6412 6413 ... 11040