Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6389 6390 [6391] 6392 6393 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433154 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #95850 on: February 08, 2016, 09:29:27 am »

I think I am in a forum with a bunch of goldfish ;-)
Naah, we just have short attention spans, not short memories.
So says the user who's username compels them to assert that they are, indeed, bigger than a goldfish :P

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95851 on: February 08, 2016, 09:30:22 am »

You must be dreaming.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95852 on: February 08, 2016, 09:30:59 am »

Naah, we just have short attention spans, not short memories.
So says the user who's username compels them to assert that they are, indeed, bigger than a goldfish :P
Hey, ya never know. Goldfish can get pretty big.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95853 on: February 08, 2016, 09:33:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actual WTF: Just Cause 3 seems to want to perform an online login almost every single time I open the menu / commlink. For fifteen seconds.
Every time. No matter how many times it does so (or fails to do so, and asks me if I want to use offline mode. Which I always do.)
That crap is still there? I had hoped that after the vinecauce stream i saw a few months back they would fix it.
But yeah if it's still there then i'd be pissed if i was you.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95854 on: February 08, 2016, 09:42:00 am »

\
He has posts going back every day to Jan15(I'm not going farther) so he wasn't the mute.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95855 on: February 08, 2016, 10:01:59 am »

First day in the new semester, first subject (a repeat of the previous one about two years ago), and the professor just immediately says that he'll give us the same marks automatically.

For some reason, all students from my group present (and by "all" I mean "the only one who came besides me") thought that I've got 5/5 on that subject before, but I've just checked on my bachelor diploma and I've got 4/5 on it. But I'm pretty sure that the professor has written "5" in his handbook, anyway, due to said "all students" saying that I've got that mark.

So apparently I've got another 5 right off the bat, but in an illegitimate way. What is this I don't even.
._.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95856 on: February 08, 2016, 11:56:26 am »

the Monty Python YouTube channel just put out a new song. my god that song.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #95857 on: February 08, 2016, 12:13:35 pm »

Well that's silly. Transperson makes sense. Much easier to understand than trans<man or woman>, 'cause the you don' have to ask yourself "does that mean they're now a man or they were a man..?"
I know (hope) we moved past the trans stuff, but I can't let this one go: I can never understand why it's difficult to know what trans[man/woman] means, in context. Either the person talking agrees with trans* in general, or doesn't. If they don't agree with it, why would they go out of their way to say "Transman"? Instead of saying something like "guy in a dress" or "butch lesbian" or something of that calibre.

And if they DO agree with trans*, then why would they say "transman" to mean a MTF woman, or "transwoman" to mean an FTM man? That would just be invalidating the persons gender identity and would go against the whole idea of accepting trans* people.

It's just one of those things that everyone not LGBT or intimate ally goes "Is so confuse!" and I go "... Why? Take two seconds and think about it logically, dood." So yeah, a WTF for me.

It's because the word "trans" does not have a sense of direction. "Thinking logically" doesn't work either as the language is not based on logic but on common use. Logically you could arrive at either position, and unless you already know from social osmosis which is meant, there is no reason to assume the trans refers to either the sex or the gender of the person.

Clearly what we need to do is stop using the directionless word "trans" and start using "im"/"into" and "ex"/"from", like import/export ;)
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #95858 on: February 08, 2016, 12:37:28 pm »

I understand having no intuition to go by when you first encounter the term, but it's not anything hard to remember, and it really does follow logical English rules once you know it. A trans woman is a woman. A trans man is a man. Just ignore the "trans" part and go with the other word, like you would if it was any other adjective like "gay" or "tall". If you're confused by whether this refers to their past or present state, remember that we tend to describe people how they are currently.

This is why "transman" and "transwoman" bug me. Having unique words make people overthink things. There's a reason I've never met a trans person who uses them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:39:49 pm by penguinofhonor »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #95859 on: February 08, 2016, 12:43:41 pm »

Now I feel educated by the penguin.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95860 on: February 08, 2016, 12:48:57 pm »

Why is this discussion still ongoing? It was supposed to stop long ago.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95861 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:33 pm »

I dunno.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #95862 on: February 08, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »

It's just one of those things that everyone not LGBT or intimate ally goes "Is so confuse!" and I go "... Why? Take two seconds and think about it logically, dood." So yeah, a WTF for me.
I dunno, it's one of those things that took me ages to actually remember. It seems obvious, but for someone who's uninvolved with the topic, it's also really easy to forget.
In other words, don't assume someone's dumb just because they can't remember a detail related to something they don't usually care about.

ally
Incidentally, this word is a WTF for me. Ally? Are you fighting a war or something?
* Descan looks at the death-toll from anti-trans* violence.

... Yeah?

And I didn't think he was dumb, it just seems really obvious. >_>

Nah it's cool. It's also something of a thing about me, I like equality, and I think there are societal connotations attached the words "man" and "woman" which I don't really like. So... I just feel the word transperson encompasses all the transfolk out there better and is... more inclusive, perhaps?

I have a similar thing about homosexual men and women being called "gay" and "lesbian", respectively. They're both gay, that's what gay (now) means, so why are women called lesbians? Are they not good enough for the gay title?*

*This is probably more of a media thing than anything else. Most of my interactions with people are via computer ('cause fuck going outside!) so... everyone is just sentences to me, and I don't go out of my way to ask about anyone's sexual orientation.

PPE: we're not discussing transpeople as such now, more the etymology of it now.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95863 on: February 08, 2016, 12:54:30 pm »

I'd love to keep discussing this because it's an interesting issue and all, but it's really overstayed its welcome in an emotion thread.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #95864 on: February 08, 2016, 01:19:26 pm »

My old employer paid me $0.03 back in May, nearly a year after I left, for reasons beyond my comprehension. This is actually kind of annoying because it means I can't file my taxes electronically apparently. I'm sore tempted to just not report it, but I hear the IRS is a stickler for the rules.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 6389 6390 [6391] 6392 6393 ... 11039