Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6374 6375 [6376] 6377 6378 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446316 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #95625 on: February 07, 2016, 04:33:02 am »

Transvestite or transwoman? They have very different meanings. Just to be sure that what you're saying is what you think you're saying.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #95626 on: February 07, 2016, 04:35:15 am »

Transvestite or transwoman? They have very different meanings. Just to be sure that what you're saying is what you think you're saying.
Transwoman, dear god, I meant transwoman.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95627 on: February 07, 2016, 04:35:34 am »

I like to think of this whole affair as analogous as calling someone by a different name, seeing as people are able to legally change their names as well. I mean, yeah, you can just refuse to call someone by the gender they identify with, much like how you can just refuse to call someone by their name, as long as you're willing to deal with the social repercussions of course.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95628 on: February 07, 2016, 04:50:10 am »

I like to think of this whole affair as analogous as calling someone by a different name, seeing as people are able to legally change their names as well. I mean, yeah, you can just refuse to call someone by the gender they identify with, much like how you can just refuse to call someone by their name, as long as you're willing to deal with the social repercussions of course.

But gender exists solely to telegraph sex (or at any rate that is it's last remaining function that hasn't been made redundant or unnecessary by modern technology). If it ceases to telegraph sex then it will have become fully vestigial and should be phased out entirely.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95629 on: February 07, 2016, 04:54:55 am »

But gender exists solely to telegraph sex (or at any rate that is it's last remaining function that hasn't been made redundant or unnecessary by modern technology). If it ceases to telegraph sex then it will have become fully vestigial and should be phased out entirely.

...Gender is not purely psychological. What you're saying could be said about the recurrent laryngeal nerve and be about as valid and about as reasonable.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95630 on: February 07, 2016, 04:57:05 am »

Doesn't it still telegraph aspects of identity still seeing as we still have differing societal expectations depending on what gender someone is or identifies it as?

I mean, if it was purely for biological designation, I'd agree to restricting it to birth gender seeing as that does affect predispositions to certain diseases even if reassigned (if I recall correctly), but I'd imagine it still has more uses than just that.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95631 on: February 07, 2016, 04:59:56 am »

Doesn't it still telegraph aspects of identity still seeing as we still have differing societal expectations depending on what gender someone is or identifies it as?

I mean, if it was purely for biological designation, I'd agree to restricting it to birth gender seeing as that does affect predispositions to certain diseases even if reassigned (if I recall correctly), but I'd imagine it still has more uses than just that.

The societal expectations need to be done away with as well. Part of my problem with this is, in fact, that I see it as a potential obstacle to said expectations being done away with.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #95632 on: February 07, 2016, 05:04:16 am »

Thank you, Bohandas, really. By refusing to call a trans* person by their proper pronouns, you're really showing who the real asshole in this situation is and most definitely advancing society towards genderlessness, which is totally a real thing that will happen.

Really.
[/sarcasm]

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #95633 on: February 07, 2016, 05:04:58 am »

This thread.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95634 on: February 07, 2016, 05:10:05 am »

I mean, I get your point, and though I guess I'd have to agree that if society manages to discard all those gender expectations, it'd probably be best to then restrict gender back to something more medically inclined (as in, if you're a certain gender at birth, you are considered to still be that gender because it predisposes you to certain diseases and whatnot) though it'd be a world I'd have trouble adapting to, the issue is, we don't live in that world.

We still live in a world, in a society, where gender has societal connotations. Which sort of pulls the carpet out from under that ideal. Since it seems to make more sense to tighten the definition of gender after it loses all connotations rather than before.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95635 on: February 07, 2016, 05:12:27 am »

Well the thing is that it isn't like people want to live in a world without gender implications either.

They just don't want to be beholden to them.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95636 on: February 07, 2016, 05:16:48 am »

Plus it could take quite a while. I'd imagine that most people would have trouble adapting to a world without such implications unless the change is very gradual. We could all very well be dead and gone by that time.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #95637 on: February 07, 2016, 05:18:47 am »

Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #95638 on: February 07, 2016, 05:31:26 am »

Got GTA V on steam. Turns out its 68gb. I will never get to play it simply because i will never finish downloading it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95639 on: February 07, 2016, 07:46:49 am »

Heard news that a Playboy model just died at the age of 34 from a stroke. My stepdad's first words about that? Probably a cocaine-induced stroke.

On the other hand, he's been vomiting his guts out all morning, like he does every morning. It's especially bad on Sundays, and it keeps him from going to church. I suppose only Satan has a bigger sense of irony than God. Ironic, isn't it?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 6374 6375 [6376] 6377 6378 ... 11040