Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6371 6372 [6373] 6374 6375 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448963 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #95580 on: February 07, 2016, 12:11:43 am »

I want to say something about how I hope I would react to a coming-out, but I don't want to sound like a pretentious toleranprogresiver-than-you type.  Bleh.

@flabort:Er, not being trans?
Or what O.Wilde said.
Also, if it's Minecraft, the thing you're thinking of is Vis.

@also flabort:Yes, some people get annoyed at that.  I find it superfluous but fair enough.  If one side gets a label, it's only fair that the other side gets one slapped on.

AAARGH STOP NINJAING ME
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95581 on: February 07, 2016, 12:13:46 am »

Don't be an asshole.
Congrats, you've won!
I don't like this idea that anyone who is accidentally offensive, even if they're trying to understand and be supportive, must be an asshole...  It's really unhelpful.

The existence of trans people is something many of us weren't exposed to until our 20's or later, it's really not obvious and it takes getting used to.

Oh. That's straight forward.

Why did we need a word for that? You're trans or your not. I don't think we needed a word for "not trans".
I think because "normal" has a positive connotation, so you can't say that.
Even though being trans is a struggle most people wouldn't choose, if they had any choice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #95582 on: February 07, 2016, 12:20:24 am »

The assertion that cis people are physically incapable of understanding trans people...Eeeeeeh.

Also, a decent portion of those statements are unequivocally supportive as written, then mutilated.

E:Wait, cis people might miss nuance?   Oh, yep.  Makes sense.

I didn't say physically incapable. Some perhaps are, but it was more of a psychological thing I was referring to.

For example, there are trans people who go full bore for the post-op stuff and some that are happy to identify as the opposite gender of their sex without surgery, while they're both referred to as trans. I don't understand this (meaning I exist in a position of ignorance through lack of knowledge, and don't have an informed opinion, so I pretty much don't have one beyond "huh?")

Even the concept of being trans is difficult for me, personally, again through the lack of knowledge/being ignorant/no informed opinion. While I like to think I'm quite an empathic person, I'm also pragmatic; aesthetics have never really bothered me, so... it's hard for me to put myself in the position of someone to which aesthetics appears to be* quite important. Also being comfortably cis probably makes it difficult. It's apparently quite difficult to explain succinctly, sorry.

The fact that it's also lumped into the sexuality argument (LGBT) is... weird too. Being trans isn't a sexual preference... is it?

*an observation, rather than THIS IS HOW IT FUCKING IS GUYS
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95583 on: February 07, 2016, 12:22:05 am »

no, trans and sexuality are different
Black lives matter.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95584 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:17 am »

As for aesthetics, to my understanding it's more... more like those people who don't feel as if their limbs are real, or that their limbs don't belong to them. It's just a wrongness about their body that itches at their mind, always lurking, and until it's fixed, they won't really be happy.

I don't really know about that first comment/question, about what the difference is between trans people who feel the need to go post-op, and those comfortable without it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #95585 on: February 07, 2016, 12:38:28 am »

Trans people are lumped into the LGBT thing because they face a lot of the same discrimination LGB people do (plenty of people think trans women are extremely flamboyant gay men, for example) and because of this they historically formed LGBT communities to support each other. Political movements from this often became LGBT organizations rather than exclusively pursuing gay/trans rights.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:40:17 am by penguinofhonor »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95586 on: February 07, 2016, 12:39:18 am »

> The fact that it's also lumped into the sexuality argument (LGBT) is... weird too. Being trans isn't a sexual preference... is it?

It's more like an alliance for equality, y'know?

Yeah being squicked by the fact you just stuck your dick inside an inverted penis is totally the sign of a bad person./s

I don't see how that's any more disgusting than sticking it in a vagina. Same risk of getting a disease either way, if you don't use protection. But, hey, if she hasn't had genital reassignment surgery, you won't be doing that anyways.

But think about this a minute: Trans-women don't have periods, and they can't get pregnant and they have a prostate. How is that not superior?

(There are always kids who need adopting if you want kids.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95587 on: February 07, 2016, 12:46:41 am »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/meredithtalusan/cissexist-bullshit-translator#.hq2lo3MOXn

After reading this i think i'll settle for never talking to a transgender person if i ever manage to spot one. (note. I'm joking.)
Just... what the burger flipping hell?
One or two of those "examples" are just poor choice of words on the "Cis" part. I can understand if someone gets slightly miffed about... (and in one case creeped out)
but the rest was nothing but pure acceptance! And it was somehow still offensive... just... how? And why?

About the same as any other SJW bullshit really.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95588 on: February 07, 2016, 12:48:38 am »

As for aesthetics, to my understanding it's more... more like those people who don't feel as if their limbs are real, or that their limbs don't belong to them. It's just a wrongness about their body that itches at their mind, always lurking, and until it's fixed, they won't really be happy.

That can be corrected with pills.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95589 on: February 07, 2016, 12:53:22 am »

..........As if being trans is some sort of disorder?
Black lives matter.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95590 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:10 am »

Well, if the mind and body don't match, which do you change?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95591 on: February 07, 2016, 01:02:31 am »

It's proven completely impossible to change mental gender and thereby eliminate gender dysphoria, so you really only have one viable choice there. (And even if you could... you'd be forcing them to be someone they aren't)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:04:08 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95592 on: February 07, 2016, 01:03:40 am »

..........As if being trans is some sort of negative disorder?
Black lives matter.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95593 on: February 07, 2016, 01:05:07 am »

It's proven completely impossible to change mental gender

What about eliminating it?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95594 on: February 07, 2016, 01:05:22 am »

Yeah being squicked by the fact you just stuck your dick inside an inverted penis is totally the sign of a bad person./s

I don't see how that's any more disgusting than sticking it in a vagina. Same risk of getting a disease either way, if you don't use protection. But, hey, if she hasn't had genital reassignment surgery, you won't be doing that anyways.

But think about this a minute: Trans-women don't have periods, and they can't get pregnant and they have a prostate. How is that not superior?
I am one of those disgusting people who has a minor fetish about pre-op trans so I have already thought through these things. I post what I do because I find it is difficult for those who just take this shit for granted/norm can rarely articulate it because they haven't had some long thought about it. It gives those lurkers like that proper thoughts for their feelings and perspective for others.

My little brother used to be considered my sister so I get the difficulty in some aspects though I haven't really connected being a woman with gender stereotypes because my mom is awesomeboss and I trend antisocial. Especially the pronoun thing. It is so irritating because I want to introduce him as my sister due to pronoun retention+memories but the associated assumptions don't portray him accurately enough. Some of them do fit simply due to humans being so variable but the trend and aesthetic overrides.

That can be corrected with pills.
Woah. Do they prescribe them for amputees as well or would that not properly fit phantom-different limbs?

..........As if being trans is some sort of disorder?
Phantom bits kind of are but they are a natural function. It's an odd case all around.

I might TMI from this post onwards because of failing sobriety.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 6371 6372 [6373] 6374 6375 ... 11040