Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6366 6367 [6368] 6369 6370 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455758 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #95505 on: February 06, 2016, 02:34:37 pm »

No that makes sense. Generally the reason people join those sorts of groups is for the sense of freedom/agency that it gives. Getting to do what you want.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #95506 on: February 06, 2016, 02:51:29 pm »

Ok is there a polite way to refer to Chaff?

As in Starbound there are 100s of couches you can find...

What is a non-insulting way to refer to it that isn't Chaff but doesn't hide its superfluous variety?

QUESTION UNCLEAR. PLEASE REPHRASE.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95507 on: February 06, 2016, 03:03:59 pm »

As in Starbound there are 100s of couches you can find...

What is a non-insulting way to refer to it that isn't Chaff but doesn't hide its superfluous variety?
Fluff?

QUESTION UNCLEAR. PLEASE REPHRASE.
It is confusing.
Especially as I've only heard the word "chaff" in reference to Dominions4 strategies before now.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95508 on: February 06, 2016, 04:01:57 pm »

No that makes sense. Generally the reason people join those sorts of groups is for the sense of freedom/agency that it gives. Getting to do what you want.

Ah, but she didn't join. She was captured, enslaved, and then married off. She just fell in love and apparently was treated well.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95509 on: February 06, 2016, 04:06:39 pm »

Ah, but she didn't join. She was captured, enslaved, and then married off. She just fell in love and apparently was treated well.

Sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome going on, but who knows, could be more complex.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #95510 on: February 06, 2016, 04:13:30 pm »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95511 on: February 06, 2016, 04:25:00 pm »

The wheat byproduct or the radar countermeasure?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95512 on: February 06, 2016, 04:35:53 pm »

> In a June 2015 report based on years on research and analysis of evidence, Amnesty International said the Nigerian army was guilty of gross human rights abuse and extra judicial killing of civilians in parts of northeast Nigeria, calling for an investigation into war crimes.
I remember seeing this on TV about a year ago. It's just an astoundingly confusing and sad way to fight Boko Haram.

In more recent news, I learned the Pope’s crown is called the papal tiara.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95513 on: February 06, 2016, 04:38:54 pm »

Stockholm Syndrome
literally this
That and her home life being nothing special.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95514 on: February 06, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »

Well yeah, her "male relatives took control of her life again".
Can you really blame her for loving the person who took her from such a life, whoever they were?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95515 on: February 06, 2016, 04:52:21 pm »

Exactly. If you are already expecting your life to end up with you being the property of another human being, then being made into a slave is nothing you weren't already expecting, and when this owner of yours treats gives you more freedom than you had at home in ways that are important to you, then it'll be the better of two bad options for you, from your perspective. Hell, without knowing what she knows of the outside world, she may not even know that a life not being controlled is even possible, so it'd be the best option ever from her perspective.

Couple that with stockholm syndrome, and it's no surprise she wants to go back.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95516 on: February 06, 2016, 05:19:23 pm »

Damn near beat the shit out of one of my coworkers today. I know I've complained about it before, but the price tags we use have to be tagged in a certain place; a punch-hole in the top-center of the tag. The reasons for this are simple enough, not putting it there can obscure the price or the scan code(needed to scan the item at the register), and it's easier for the tag to fall off it it's tagged incorrectly.

The person does not put the tag in this hole. It's not that she doesn't know better. She's been talked to about it several times. I told her to fix it, and she flat-out refused. This means I had to do her job for her, despite the fact that there was very little time before it was time to leave to do so. And while doing this, I broke part of my multitool, which I was using to easily cut the price tags off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95517 on: February 06, 2016, 06:25:14 pm »

If she's refusing to do her job, clearly she should be fired forced to resign reassigned to something unpleasant which she can't screw up, like standing outside in the freezing cold ringing a bell to solicit donations for charity.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #95518 on: February 06, 2016, 06:31:36 pm »

If she's refusing to do her job, clearly she should be fired forced to resign reassigned to something unpleasant which she can't screw up, like standing outside in the freezing cold ringing a bell to solicit donations for charity.
how naive

you think it's impossible to screw that up? simply greeting everybody as "fuckface" would be a trivial solution
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95519 on: February 06, 2016, 06:34:10 pm »

Swallow part of the bell.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 6366 6367 [6368] 6369 6370 ... 11040