Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6323 6324 [6325] 6326 6327 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445592 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #94860 on: January 30, 2016, 09:32:33 pm »

Skeletons can go either way though. Depends on the setting.
thank mr skeltal, doot

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about zombie mooks? I think my biggest issue with portrayal of zombies as rank-and-file enemies is when there's canonically an infectious plague but getting bitten just knocks a couple points off your health bar.

I think in "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic" Zombies were rather difficult enemies. Mostly because they took a lot of effort to kill in a game where you get tired from fighting too long (I think, it's a while since I've played it). I remember them being tough but slow so it was often easier to run past them.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94861 on: January 30, 2016, 09:33:37 pm »

One thing that also bothers me is when games have places defined as "cursed" or "haunted" and full of undead etc, but what is the cause of the curse? Did lots of people die in this place for some reason? Its almost never mentioned anywhere. Also, curses and other stuff that affect everything and everyone except the main character, even if he's having direct contact with it and reasons to be involved in it.

Even Legend of Zelda does this. Its been said multiple times that whoever enters the lost woods and isn't a kokiri becomes a stalfos, IE a undead skeleton thing. Link is later explained to not be a kokiri, so he should have become a stalfos, except this never happens and is never mentioned in the series, at least in regards to link, since this is a thing that happens to some less important side characters.
/spoiler]
He's not a kokiri, but he was being protected by the deku tree would be my guess. Or its the triforce's fault.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94862 on: January 30, 2016, 09:33:56 pm »

Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wasn't sure if the /spoiler] was intended or not, fixed the tags just in case.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:38:37 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94863 on: January 30, 2016, 09:35:28 pm »

Skeletons can go either way though. Depends on the setting.
thank mr skeltal, doot

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about zombie mooks? I think my biggest issue with portrayal of zombies as rank-and-file enemies is when there's canonically an infectious plague but getting bitten just knocks a couple points off your health bar.

I think in "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic" Zombies were rather difficult enemies. Mostly because they took a lot of effort to kill in a game where you get tired from fighting too long (I think, it's a while since I've played it). I remember them being tough but slow so it was often easier to run past them.
Yeah, as I recall to had to do a finisher on them or decapitate them before they actually died. They were almost immune to kicks as well, so they were a boring slashgrind rather than the joyful kickfest of previous enemies.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #94864 on: January 30, 2016, 09:36:38 pm »

Even Legend of Zelda does this. Its been said multiple times that whoever enters the lost woods and isn't a kokiri becomes a stalfos, IE a undead skeleton thing. Link is later explained to not be a kokiri, so he should have become a stalfos, except this never happens and is never mentioned in the series, at least in regards to link, since this is a thing that happens to some less important side characters.
/spoiler]

IIRC there was something involving either Navi or Saria that was implied to be protecting him. Or something about a translation mixup? I forget. But either way there's technically the Hero's Shade, who was confirmed to be OOT Link in the Hyrule Historia a while back.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94865 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »

Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)

But he didn't have a fairy until navi shows up in OOT, iirc. Everyone else did.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94866 on: January 30, 2016, 09:39:07 pm »

Oh, that actualy does make sense, but in another way.

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94867 on: January 30, 2016, 09:41:11 pm »

Shows how fuzzy my memory is then.

Maybe he never really left the village before then.  Would still explain the tree sending Navi to him because he would need a fairy to leave the village since the village is surrounded by the forest.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94868 on: January 30, 2016, 10:25:54 pm »

What the hell just happened in this thread when I glanced away.

Although it must be said, I do remember one of the Might and Magic games being pretty awesome, even if I only played a demo on my PS2.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #94869 on: January 30, 2016, 10:28:24 pm »

So I found two traditionally low tier enemies that are suddenly super powerful enemies in other games

There is Ghosts who are unstoppable killing machines in Quest for Glory

Then there are Skeletons, yes skeletons, who are insanely tough elite mooks in Die by the Sword.

It is just weird to see traditionally chump enemies suddenly get boosted to deadly status.
Skeletons are pretty nasty early on in Dark Souls (if you try to go to the Catacombs first because you didn't notice the path to the Undead Burg, they'll likely wreck your shit), same with ghosts (if you try going to New Londo first, the ghosts will be more than you can deal with).

For another example, goblins are deadly in Morrowind (they're expansion-only, IIRC) compared to what most games have them as.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94870 on: January 30, 2016, 11:15:12 pm »

For some reason, my screen resolution did Weird Shit, and then my desktop got all messed up
I had to re-drag all my icons and whatnot where I wanted them.

I hate when I had to do that. Especially since I have all my icons scattered about instead of neat rows, and because I just HAVE TO HAVE THEM in all the right spots within that scattered mess.

Try this. It solved that problem for me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #94871 on: January 30, 2016, 11:27:15 pm »

So I found two traditionally low tier enemies that are suddenly super powerful enemies in other games

There is Ghosts who are unstoppable killing machines in Quest for Glory

Then there are Skeletons, yes skeletons, who are insanely tough elite mooks in Die by the Sword.

It is just weird to see traditionally chump enemies suddenly get boosted to deadly status.
Skeletons are pretty nasty early on in Dark Souls (if you try to go to the Catacombs first because you didn't notice the path to the Undead Burg, they'll likely wreck your shit), same with ghosts (if you try going to New Londo first, the ghosts will be more than you can deal with).

For another example, goblins are deadly in Morrowind (they're expansion-only, IIRC) compared to what most games have them as.
Haha, I've already mentioned this before on this forum but i tried to do catacombs first and Dark Soul's reputation lead me to accept that this was the intended difficulty for the game.

I got to the spiral stairs bit with all the rooms off of it before I turned back.  After that, the game felt, if not easy, decently tame until the Bell Gargoyles and Blightown.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94872 on: January 30, 2016, 11:29:31 pm »

For some reason, my screen resolution did Weird Shit, and then my desktop got all messed up
I had to re-drag all my icons and whatnot where I wanted them.

I hate when I had to do that. Especially since I have all my icons scattered about instead of neat rows, and because I just HAVE TO HAVE THEM in all the right spots within that scattered mess.

Try this. It solved that problem for me.
Thankye!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #94873 on: January 30, 2016, 11:40:41 pm »

Dang, I got my school computer and it is so difficult just to find a good checkers game to download, I try to find one simple little checkers game that doesn't look horrible, doesn't have any needless bells and whistles, and doesn't have irritating sound effects that I can't figure out how to turn off, yet every single one I've tried so far seems to miss one of them.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94874 on: January 30, 2016, 11:45:40 pm »

I know that feel.

Nabbed some of Microsoft's games, like Solitaire and Minesweeper, since they don't just come standard anymore.

Suddenly advertisements. Unskippable advertisements.
Pages: 1 ... 6323 6324 [6325] 6326 6327 ... 11040