Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6307 6308 [6309] 6310 6311 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440454 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #94620 on: January 27, 2016, 02:24:14 pm »

Come the apocalypse, we know who will fix the lawnmowers, then.
One wheel short of a wagon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94621 on: January 27, 2016, 02:25:39 pm »

I can't even bring myself to look at my old Linux netbook anymore. The battery holds maybe twenty minutes of charge, the charger itself barely works, the webcam has been unusable since it was new, and one of the hinges has been broken and since replaced so it's missing the shiny plastic cover.

My tablet also has the same battery issues, a fairly obvious scratch, and a flock of dead pixels.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94622 on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:01 pm »

"Thou shalt not lie with a machine as with a human; it is an abomination."
–The Holy Bible

Say no to abomination! Say no to Planned Parenthood! Say no to cybernetic machine-human hybrids!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94623 on: January 27, 2016, 02:36:06 pm »

I only got rid of my old cell phone when the battery degraded to the point that it couldn't stay on long enough to dial a number while plugged in.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #94624 on: January 27, 2016, 02:37:04 pm »

He is a transhumanist, though. And that's several orders of magnitude worse than creationist in terms of religious bugnuttery.
Hmmm, thinking about it now we really need a term to differentiate between "transhumanist (extreme religious nut who just replaced 'god' with 'AI')" and "transhumanist (scientific forecaster/theorist)", because the two really are vastly different, one's busy essentially preaching a modified version of the rapture to those who will listen, while the other one is actually taking steps in the realm of technology towards end-goals. (Which is, of course, not to say that there isn't any crossover; after all people can certainly be a evangelical believer that the rapture is going to come and "fix all the world's problems" while still working for the WHO or something and taking real steps to fix them :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94625 on: January 27, 2016, 02:42:07 pm »

Typing that out was a wake-up call, I've got it mostly open now.  Going to check on the fan, see if I need to order a replacement.  Not going to keep running it into the ground, it...  *really* doesn't deserve that.  Not going to toss it, either, until I do what I can for it.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #94626 on: January 27, 2016, 02:44:33 pm »

He is a transhumanist, though. And that's several orders of magnitude worse than creationist in terms of religious bugnuttery.
Hmmm, thinking about it now we really need a term to differentiate between "transhumanist (extreme religious nut who just replaced 'god' with 'AI')" and "transhumanist (scientific forecaster/theorist)", because the two really are vastly different, one's busy essentially preaching a modified version of the rapture to those who will listen, while the other one is actually taking steps in the realm of technology towards end-goals. (Which is, of course, not to say that there isn't any crossover; after all people can certainly be a evangelical believer that the rapture is going to come and "fix all the world's problems" while still working for the WHO or something and taking real steps to fix them :P).
The main problem is that nuts don't want to be labeled as nuts, so they will co-opt any designation for non-barking variety, and the cycle begins anew. And as a random trivia, there was a term for the forecaster type, though it sounds kinda quaint nowadays: 'futurologist'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94627 on: January 27, 2016, 02:56:43 pm »

–The Holy Bible

Say no to abomination! Say no to Planned Parenthood! Say no to cybernetic machine-human hybrids!
*Egan_BW buzzes angrily in binary.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94628 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:36 pm »

–The Holy Bible

"Your faction is no longer relevant."
- Prime Function Aki Zeta-5
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #94629 on: January 27, 2016, 03:15:12 pm »

Uh sorry, I know this one's a bit weird.  But that's what the thread's for, right?

So basically, you have a good description of my laptop? :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94630 on: January 27, 2016, 03:17:17 pm »

...one's busy essentially preaching a modified version of the rapture to those who will listen, while the other one is actually taking steps in the realm of technology towards end-goals.
We already have a perfectly good term for the latter type of person: scientist. Being a self-identified "transhumanist" is not mutually exclusive with being an actual researcher with a workable research program, but unfortunately the most influential "transhumanists" – such as Kurzweil, Bostrom, Yudkowsky, and the aforementioned David Pearce, to name but a few – are exclusively of the former type.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94631 on: January 27, 2016, 03:18:36 pm »

My old laptop had no battery and the screen wound up breaking down the middle, the one before that had a disc drive that would fall out on occasion and power off the computer if it slid back in. Most of these problems (and others) were my fault, but oh well.
I've been nicer to this one, so far, even if it is a bit... less good than the others.

Anyway, my own WTF: I'm cooking pasta at quarter past six (or seven in DST) in the morning. What is wrong with me?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #94632 on: January 27, 2016, 03:31:25 pm »

We already have a perfectly good term for the latter type of person: scientist. Being a self-identified "transhumanist" is not mutually exclusive with being an actual researcher with a workable research program, but unfortunately the most influential "transhumanists" – such as Kurzweil, Bostrom, Yudkowsky, and the aforementioned David Pearce, to name but a few – are exclusively of the former type.
Scientist is more like a profession title, it's the level more general than something I'd be looking for. It's like the difference between saying that you are a "philosopher" and saying that you are a "Nihilist". Saying that you are a nihilist carries direct connotations about what ideals in the realm of philosophy that you proscribe to that the word "philosopher" lacks. Similarly saying that you were a "transhumanist" in the realm of science carries further connotations about what particular ideas of science you proscribe to that the basic word "scientist" lacks.

I'll certainly agree with you that the most visible transhumanists are the crazy nutjobs, but honestly I think that applies to just about anything. Something about being rich and crazy goes a long way towards making people visible. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94633 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:07 pm »

...one's busy essentially preaching a modified version of the rapture to those who will listen, while the other one is actually taking steps in the realm of technology towards end-goals.
This is worth noting.  I like the idea of transhumanism a lot, but because it's based on science, it should be promoted by people with scientific credentials or peer reviewed evidence.  Preferably both.

Haven't really looked into the transhumanism "scene" though, I just enjoy sci-fi.
She/they

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94634 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:42 pm »

Anyway, my own WTF: I'm cooking pasta at quarter past six (or seven in DST) in the morning. What is wrong with me?
Nothing?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6307 6308 [6309] 6310 6311 ... 11040