Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6256 6257 [6258] 6259 6260 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442379 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93855 on: January 13, 2016, 09:36:02 pm »

... what? A joystick is a joystick. They've... never been particularly synonymous with controllers, or at least they've pretty much always been a particular form of one. Unless it's changed in the last... decade or less. Could be different regional terminology, I guess.

When the zog did they start being anything else, though?

I think he means two separate controllers, each mainly consists of a single big joystick.  He wants to use both together, but he's worried the computer will assume two controllers, two players.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #93856 on: January 13, 2016, 09:40:19 pm »

... a controller consisting mainly of a joystick is what a joystick is. So far as I've been aware for the last twenty and change years, anyway. If that bit of nomenclature has changed, I'm going to be suddenly feeling a strong inclination towards beating youngins with a walking stick.

And yeah, it might. I'm fairly sure there's software workarounds for that floating around out there, though zog if I know where or what they are. Might look into TAS or speedrun stuff... fairly sure they sometimes use tricks of that nature to do what they do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #93857 on: January 13, 2016, 10:32:40 pm »

Dark SOuls doesn't allow any control customization whatsoever, so this won't work (although you could use xpadder to map the controllers to the keyboard and mouse controls). It would work in most games, however.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93859 on: January 14, 2016, 07:50:39 am »

Apparently, in Roman religion, the same god was responsible for domains of agriculture, liberation and time. The more you know!
Makes perfect sense: agriculture = servitude + time; harvest = temporary liberation + a bit of free time. That was the point of celebrating Saturnalia at the end of the agricultural cycle.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93860 on: January 14, 2016, 09:01:47 am »

Naxza is using the fairly archaic meaning of "joystick" as synonymous with "controller", which was common from the '80s or so until the early '00s IIRC (I remember it being used, so probably early '00s)

And yeah, xpadder or steam controller or that PS4 controller program or similar would work out well for that.

Nope, I mean two of these joggers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Y'know, left stick is movement, swivel right stick to turn camera, swing right stick for heavy attack, use magic with trigger button one, switch magic with trigger two, etc etc. My concern was mostly that said program would go "This action means joystick up, and I can't differentiate joysticks."

In hindsight, I should really just try the damn thing.

There's a program called Joy2Key or some such that lets you map keyboard controls to game controllers and probably joysticks too.  Not sure if it would work with two joysticks though.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93861 on: January 14, 2016, 09:57:41 am »

My friend pleaded with me to rescue he and a couple of friends from our haplessly (very) awkward lodger... I persuaded him to come inside and play Helldivers with me whilst drinking hot chocolate. That seemed to work, and shortly he dozed off and is now on the couch emitting the loudest snores I can remember ever hearing from a human being.

I feel like a professional babysitter or something. O.o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93862 on: January 14, 2016, 10:47:01 am »

Apparently, in Roman religion, the same god was responsible for domains of agriculture, liberation and time. The more you know!
Makes perfect sense: agriculture = servitude + time; harvest = temporary liberation + a bit of free time. That was the point of celebrating Saturnalia at the end of the agricultural cycle.
The liberation bit seemed like a relative stretch, but it does fit with the Saturnalia celebration!  Which was a lot of fun to read about, I just thought it was a big festival...  Sounds like the slaves got to speak their minds and ate first, it was a festival of "opposite day" in many ways!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #93863 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:52 am »

Eh, I'd suspect it's more of an effect of Romans just going 'Oh, hey, that god of yours? TOTALLY our god Saturn, funny you named him differently!' on subjugated states and creating a massive Saturn-shaped blob of various stories and attributes given to the god with somewhat similar 'theme'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93864 on: January 14, 2016, 11:40:10 am »

... a controller consisting mainly of a joystick is what a joystick is. So far as I've been aware for the last twenty and change years, anyway. If that bit of nomenclature has changed, I'm going to be suddenly feeling a strong inclination towards beating youngins with a walking stick.
Hey, grandpa, do y'all like tuggin' on yer joystick?  ;D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93865 on: January 14, 2016, 12:02:56 pm »

Grah. Looking for a site in which you enter a word and it "procedurally" or something generates an image from it. Some quite varied stuff, but now I can't find it.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93866 on: January 14, 2016, 12:17:33 pm »

You mean the deepdream thing?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93867 on: January 14, 2016, 12:18:45 pm »

No, you put a word in, and it spends a while generating an image from it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93868 on: January 14, 2016, 12:44:56 pm »

You mean it makes something that resembles the word, or that just uses the word as a random seed?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93869 on: January 14, 2016, 12:46:33 pm »

Random seed.
Pages: 1 ... 6256 6257 [6258] 6259 6260 ... 11040