Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6225 6226 [6227] 6228 6229 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433280 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93390 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:05 pm »

And it seems we've come back around to stepping on other peoples' toes in multiplayer games again.

Funny, everyone I play with, aside from two or three people, have "sooper speshul donut steel Original Characters" old enough to be our actual kids at this point. I'm no more free from it, either. There's at least three of us playing as them right now in this group.

I'm sure that many people have at least one character that they've been holding onto for a long time for one reason or another.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:39:46 pm by BlackFlyme »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93391 on: January 06, 2016, 08:43:05 pm »

I mean, it's not like it's just RP either. I mean, look at e fucking video games! Look at GODDAMN GERALT OF RIVIA! Fucker can bed a fuckton of women, is an immortal unbeatable mutant, and wrestle goddamned monsters for profits! Hell, the protagonist is always more than the player. I'm willing to bet that if you actually fought monsters and aliens, you wouldn't be playing fucking videogames.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93392 on: January 06, 2016, 08:46:37 pm »

It's just kind of annoying when the point of "mary sue/self insert" thing come up because I mean roleplay is fucking ESCAPISM. Sure, some people don't like roleplay as a form of escapism and would rather play videogames but some fucking times people want to play as someone they can't be, and the only reason mary sues and self inserts are derided is because they limit others' enjoyment. I don't know about other people but for me I try to make characters that I want to be, while putting in enough flaws that they don't piss off other people. Sure, they tend to be schizophrenic or some shit but I would gladly be them. That's the fucking point. I hate being myself.

Sure you can enjoy being your perfect sparkle princess or whatever but that doesn't an actual interesting character make.
From imperfection comes conflict, from conflicts comes a story that doesn't inspire sleep-based suicide.

The issue with mary sues is that people don't put in flaws (or at least any meaningful ones), and that was what people were talking about disliking. Especially in games that involves multiple players, because then they also overshine other players in the least interesting way possible.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93393 on: January 06, 2016, 08:48:34 pm »

Humanity has a food problem and climate change but we still haven't planted shrubs/trees/vines everywhere.
...We should expand Arbor Day to Plant Week.

You know that unemployment problem we have? ... Yeah.

Bernie Sanders 2016
Fun fact, apparently, planting trees and such might actually be a detrimental influence on global warming,
Okay that article is interesting and all, but NO.  It reports that, in *some* parts of the world, the albedo effect (having dark trees which absorb light rather than light-colored ground) MAY counteract the conversion of greenhouse gas (CO2) to O2, and the creation of clouds by pulling moisture back out of the ground.

I can believe that's true, LOCALLY, in some parts of the world.  But they don't say that trees in general are a "detrimental influence on global warming".  Except in very specific cases, and locally.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93394 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:13 pm »

why I was actually in here

Thanks for the support. 2016 shall be the year humanity regrows the planet! For one needs a forest to fuel the masterwork industry! Hippy industrialists ftw

I mean, it's not like it's just RP either. I mean, look at e fucking video games! Look at GODDAMN GERALT OF RIVIA! Fucker can bed a fuckton of women, is an immortal unbeatable mutant, and wrestle goddamned monsters for profits! Hell, the protagonist is always more than the player. I'm willing to bet that if you actually fought monsters and aliens, you wouldn't be playing fucking videogames.

Done both, somehow not a complete failure in life. Never bedded anyone though. Besides literally bedding someone. That sibling vibe.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93395 on: January 06, 2016, 08:53:23 pm »

It's just kind of annoying when the point of "mary sue/self insert" thing come up because I mean roleplay is fucking ESCAPISM. Sure, some people don't like roleplay as a form of escapism and would rather play videogames but some fucking times people want to play as someone they can't be, and the only reason mary sues and self inserts are derided is because they limit others' enjoyment. I don't know about other people but for me I try to make characters that I want to be, while putting in enough flaws that they don't piss off other people. Sure, they tend to be schizophrenic or some shit but I would gladly be them. That's the fucking point. I hate being myself.

Sure you can enjoy being your perfect sparkle princess or whatever but that doesn't an actual interesting character make.
From imperfection comes conflict, from conflicts comes a story that doesn't inspire sleep-based suicide.

The issue with mary sues is that people don't put in flaws (or at least any meaningful ones), and that was what people were talking about disliking. Especially in games that involves multiple players, because then they also overshine other players in the least interesting way possible.

Problem isn't lack of flaws, just lack of consequential flaws. Not, like, "too gay to function" or whatever, which isn't a real flaw, but stuff like "hideous disfiguring scars (but everyone still loves them on first sight and finds them attractive anyway)".

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93396 on: January 06, 2016, 08:54:12 pm »

a lot of soldiers play CoD.

of course, CoD is nothing at all like real warfare. For one, you don't stand around doing jack out in the sun for hours on end because some idiot that gets paid more than you either forgot that he told you to stand there or doesn't care enough to bother telling you that you can stop imitating a garden gnome.

so I'd guess CoD is like if you lived in an adrenaline-filled anime world where you heal bullet wounds in 5 seconds and never have to put up with stupid people playing bureaucrat.

bad example, but there really aren't a lot of games that accurately portray anything at all. but yeah, if you did actually fight monsters and aliens, I bet you'd spend an amazing amount of time fighting paperwork and idiots instead, and would still play videogames about fighting monsters and aliens, just because you wish you could just do you job already and not have to put up with all the stupid stuff reality brings.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93397 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:15 pm »

We dont have a food problem, we have a food distribution problem.

Hell, rather sure that the US alone grows enough food for the worlds human population. Throw in, say, Canada for feeding livestock...

Ah, heres a bit And another

Course, thats only what I have grabbed in a really short amount of time, so its probably not the most accurate...

I dont argue that we need more trees. Also some more algae.

-3x ninja edit-

Some soldiers also play ARMA. Heck, some play simulators used for training for fun.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93398 on: January 06, 2016, 09:02:48 pm »

Because that's a game designed to give you a power fantasy, and there isn't a GM you have to make sure is having fun as well, we're agreeing with you, Cinder, of course gaming is about escapism, have fun playing Geralt, or Shepard, or The Dragonborn if you want to be an unmitigated badass, but it isn't nice when you try to be perfect in a tabletop game and overshadow everyone and piss off the DM, your style of playing is fine, s'just, when other people make perfect gods of the world, it ain't fun for others, and that's kinda the point.

I'm repeating myself, aren't I? I'll stop now.
Humanity has a food problem and climate change but we still haven't planted shrubs/trees/vines everywhere.
...We should expand Arbor Day to Plant Week.

You know that unemployment problem we have? ... Yeah.

Bernie Sanders 2016
Fun fact, apparently, planting trees and such might actually be a detrimental influence on global warming,
Okay that article is interesting and all, but NO.  It reports that, in *some* parts of the world, the albedo effect (having dark trees which absorb light rather than light-colored ground) MAY counteract the conversion of greenhouse gas (CO2) to O2, and the creation of clouds by pulling moisture back out of the ground.

I can believe that's true, LOCALLY, in some parts of the world.  But they don't say that trees in general are a "detrimental influence on global warming".  Except in very specific cases, and locally.
No, they didn't say that, but what they did say that global temperatures would actually go down if all the trees were cut down (not by much and we'd all die of carbon dioxide poisoning, but still) while intensuio said that you could just defeat global warming by planting trees/shrubs/vines everywhere, which I thought was incorrect because it would only work if you tried to expand the more tropical areas, while in other places, it pretty much wouldn't do anything at all.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93399 on: January 06, 2016, 09:03:29 pm »

Indeed food supply isn't the problem.  It's pretty much all food transport.  Not everywhere in the world has massive multi billion dollar highway systems that can be used to quickly and cheaply transport food.  Not everyplace has airports large enough to accommodate cargo planes, or shores capable of letting cargo ships dock.

There are still places in the world where transporting something still takes weeks, if not longer.  And those somethings can't be much bigger than what can fit on the back of a jeep, a riverboat, or a helicopter, nevermind keeping that stuff frozen for the trip.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93400 on: January 06, 2016, 09:06:42 pm »

African bullfrogs are crazy.

I can't say I've ever seen an amphibian do more than run away. This was actually pretty awesome to watch. Warning, there is blood.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93401 on: January 06, 2016, 09:08:17 pm »

African bullfrogs are crazy.

I can't say I've ever seen an amphibian do more than run away. This was actually pretty awesome to watch. Warning, there is blood.
Wow. That frog doesn't fuck around.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93402 on: January 06, 2016, 09:08:37 pm »

My WTF today is that there are currently three reasonably large discussions going on at the same time in this thread and I feel the need to involve myself in all of them.

Welp, here goes nothing:

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93403 on: January 06, 2016, 09:09:54 pm »

My WTF today is that there are currently three reasonably large discussions going on at the same time in this thread and I feel the need to involve myself in all of them.

Welp, here goes nothing:
I'm having trouble keeping up with them myself.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93404 on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »

Indeed food supply isn't the problem.  It's pretty much all food transport.  Not everywhere in the world has massive multi billion dollar highway systems that can be used to quickly and cheaply transport food.  Not everyplace has airports large enough to accommodate cargo planes, or shores capable of letting cargo ships dock.

There are still places in the world where transporting something still takes weeks, if not longer.  And those somethings can't be much bigger than what can fit on the back of a jeep, a riverboat, or a helicopter, nevermind keeping that stuff frozen for the trip.

Hell, screw highways, railways are far more efficient.

You know, its toobad that solar-powered cargo airships never got off the ground. There was a company that was making them (or atleast prepairing to) and everything...

-ninja x3-

There was a fourth conversation.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 6225 6226 [6227] 6228 6229 ... 11039