Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6224 6225 [6226] 6227 6228 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433793 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93375 on: January 06, 2016, 06:58:13 pm »

Are you implying that the world powers would ever let post-scarcity become a thing? I seriously doubt it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #93376 on: January 06, 2016, 06:58:36 pm »

Also notable: If India, and India alone, doesn't sort its shit out within a few decades and get a better energy source than coal, we're all screwed anyway. Completely irrespective of everybody else.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #93377 on: January 06, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »

All of this shit is collectively why I stopped trying to participate in FG&RP. I remember one game of mine that I dropped like a box of burning coals after I made the mistake of giving my players agency in creating their character and got back a coinflip decision between a furry Marty Stu with powers that were apparently whatever the person who designed (and I use that word loosely) it wanted and a munchkined to hell and back dictator of the equivalent of a city-state. Those when I'd pretty clearly set things up for a fun low-level sword-and-sorcery sort of adventure.  ::)

I don't think it's just my perception, either; a year or three ago I distinctly remember there being more quality games and almost none of the one-line spam "roleplay".
Well, I'll be putting on my snorkeling equipment because I'm going on a forum dive, gonna see if this strain of 'weirdosinii rollplayerynesst' is new or if it's been going on for a while.
*Whistles a random tune*
Okay, just looking for a few minutes, wow, the FG&RP section really wasn't that energetic for a while, 2008-2012 (I skipped to about the middle point after a couple pages in 2008, it was really boring), and I'm still seeing threads that literally have zero posts in them.
Hrmm, I dunno.
I remember what happened. Once upon a time the suggestion games ruled FG&RP, and the You Are copycats were kings above them all till round... maybe the end of 2012? And heck, a lot of the forum games being run were actually DF related for that matter.

I guess you could call Lost and Found of the Multiverse the first mega freeform, but as far as I'm aware that started off as normal silly bay12 avatar rping that went out of control and was somewhat different in content compared to the ones now. I didn't even notice it existed at the time. But at the very tail end of 2012 Lost and Found of the Multiverse was made and was where quite a few members of the modern freeform group got sortof started up. But it wasn't until summer 2013 that the first of the Magical Girl games appeared, and from that moment on nothing would ever be the same...

@Flying Dice: I remember that. That really sucked man, I feel for you. I was really excited when I saw that you were trying to bring Quest style gameplay over to Bay12, and it was sad seeing what happened with the playerbase.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:10:09 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93378 on: January 06, 2016, 06:59:49 pm »

Spoiler: Forum Game Discussion (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93379 on: January 06, 2016, 07:02:47 pm »

Also notable: If India, and India alone, doesn't sort its shit out within a few decades and get a better energy source than coal, we're all screwed anyway. Completely irrespective of everybody else.

India's solution to India: Auroville.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #93380 on: January 06, 2016, 07:09:40 pm »

India's solution to India: Auroville.

Neato. Hope it works.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93381 on: January 06, 2016, 07:17:34 pm »

(Hijack a teleportation spell as a low level character as an unlisted racial?!?!? really?!?)
Sigged.
One wheel short of a wagon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93382 on: January 06, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »

Update on the cat, here because thats where he was mentioned before.

Managed to get him to a vet who isn't insane/shit and it turns out that its probably cancer. Which is... Interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93383 on: January 06, 2016, 07:29:00 pm »

Managed to get him to a vet who isn't insane/shit and it turns out that its probably cancer. Which is... Interesting.
well then... that's... a thing...
any followup plans?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93384 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:04 pm »

I'm trying not to be pissed off at the FGRP discussion here, but you are really are elitist pricks sometimes. I'm starti to understand what Gunner-chan meant.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93385 on: January 06, 2016, 08:26:52 pm »

I think you've missed the start, it began with someone asking why the intra-board conflict comes from. We were just going through what the stereotypes are and FGRP took a lot longer, given it has the worst stuff.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93386 on: January 06, 2016, 08:29:49 pm »

It's just kind of annoying when the point of "mary sue/self insert" thing come up because I mean roleplay is fucking ESCAPISM. Sure, some people don't like roleplay as a form of escapism and would rather play videogames but some fucking times people want to play as someone they can't be, and the only reason mary sues and self inserts are derided is because they limit others' enjoyment. I don't know about other people but for me I try to make characters that I want to be, while putting in enough flaws that they don't piss off other people. Sure, they tend to be schizophrenic or some shit but I would gladly be them. That's the fucking point. I hate being myself.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93387 on: January 06, 2016, 08:31:48 pm »

any followup plans?
Probably not. Its in a weird place so the only place around who may possibly try something is a university.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93388 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:00 pm »

It's just kind of annoying when the point of "mary sue/self insert" thing come up because I mean roleplay is fucking ESCAPISM. Sure, some people don't like roleplay as a form of escapism and would rather play videogames but some fucking times people want to play as someone they can't be, and the only reason mary sues and self inserts are derided is because they limit others' enjoyment. I don't know about other people but for me I try to make characters that I want to be, while putting in enough flaws that they don't piss off other people. Sure, they tend to be schizophrenic or some shit but I would gladly be them. That's the fucking point. I hate being myself.
I agree with most of this.  Roleplay is about being someone more more than you are.  And honestly, half of my characters that are compatible with RL settings are or were self-inserts in some way.

I don't hate being me, but I like being these people more.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93389 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:49 pm »

I think you've missed the start, it began with someone asking why the intra-board conflict comes from. We were just going through what the stereotypes are and FGRP took a lot longer, given it has the worst stuff.
More that FG&RP has more variety than other subforums, so most everyone can find content there that they dislike. Overall I think it's a great place to be, just doesn't cater to my playstyle quite as well as RtD does. I still spend some time there and play some of the games, I just don't have the time to filter through the massive amount of content to reach the particular gametypes that interest me the most. Well, not on a regular basis anyway.

I like it there.
Very true. Just remember that the GM is there for fun too. making the GM cry by treating a story-oriented game as a minimalist isn't cool. also, if a full-power sue gets into a competitive game where character balance matters, it ruins the game for all the other players. I don't mind a sue that doesn't get in the way.

any followup plans?
Probably not. Its in a weird place so the only place around who may possibly try something is a university.
That sucks.
Pages: 1 ... 6224 6225 [6226] 6227 6228 ... 11039