Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6194 6195 [6196] 6197 6198 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450095 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #92925 on: December 31, 2015, 04:04:29 am »

-Servants-
It has a lot to do with what films you are watching, since what class a "servant" is in depends a lot on the time period and who they are serving for. For example servants to a king or queen, or to a very rich family, could for all intents and purposes probably be considered as part of the lower or affluent middle class. On the other hand if we were say, in the south pre-civil war, and the servants were black servants (or in any of the other extreme colonization periods combined with oppressing the natives), then it was in fact very likely that the servants, while not at the absolute bottom of the heap, were only the barest of steps above it. Black house slaves in the US, at least, were virtually identical to those that worked in the fields for most intents and purposes, the main difference just being that they spent their days doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, and keeping fires going instead of doing the work in the fields. Slightly easier work than backbreaking, but often just as badly treated (and much more likely to be punished for something due to their increased visibility to their masters over field slaves). Heck in some places/times (for example in early colonized Mexico), indigenous "servants" were often treated worse than the "slaves" were, since in the eyes of the landowners slaves were something they had to pay for and care for, while the indigenous people were just a nuisance of godless savages.

This is not to say that they were all like that, of course, but in some places and times, and depending on who they were serving, it wasn't uncommon for servants to be little better, or just another type of slave. Of course if the film is set in modern times then it's pretty much a false trope now, though a large part of that is simply because in the modern day and age for the most part the lower classes no longer employ servants or slaves, meaning the only "servants" that are left are those in the butler/maid level serving more well-to-do families, which puts them in the more middle class life.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #92926 on: December 31, 2015, 04:57:28 am »

Not sure which thread I should put this in, but IamanElfCollaborator has now posted more than GreatWyrmGold. All hail?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92927 on: December 31, 2015, 05:29:05 am »

Not sure which thread I should put this in, but IamanElfCollaborator has now posted more than GreatWyrmGold. All hail?

Nah, just report, and he'll be banned in short order. ;)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92928 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45:21 am »

Remember that WW2 germany had to start a war it was gearing up for because otherwise the entire country would go bankrupt.

Also around 50% of china GDP is generated by state owned (They do release shares but simply keep their majority share) industry that includes things like power plants steel mills and... construction firms and construction material industries.
Construction and building material industries they desperately keep busy by building ghost towns similar to how Hitler built up the german autobahn network...

So yeah it's not all nice and private over there.

-Servants-
-More Servants-
Those were less servants and more slaves. Surfe there were Indentured servant who for all intents and purposes were white slaves (but likely slightly better treated than black slaves.)
But from the history books i remember reading back in my school days black servants actually didn't have it all that bad as far as we think about 1600-1900's.
And remember that slaves were pretty valuable. It's not like every Joe the wife beater could afford himself a black slave to abuse.

And yeah... native americans were treated like complete shit. If i remember my history book correctly the average lifespan of enslaved natives was something about 25 years... it didn't really delve into why but a drawing showing Spaniards sicing dogs on natives is probably a sufficient answer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #92929 on: December 31, 2015, 05:54:53 am »

Remember that WW2 germany had to start a war it was gearing up for because otherwise the entire country would go bankrupt.
Pretty much what I was about to say. For all the 'trains running on time' stuff, the actual self-proclaimed fascist 'successful' state of Nazi Germany ran in a large part on the national equivalent of banditry and it was deliberately set up to make various vital state organs to fight each other to keep them from being a threat.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #92930 on: December 31, 2015, 07:08:37 am »

-Servants-
-More Servants-
Those were less servants and more slaves. Surfe there were Indentured servant who for all intents and purposes were white slaves (but likely slightly better treated than black slaves.)
But from the history books i remember reading back in my school days black servants actually didn't have it all that bad as far as we think about 1600-1900's.
And remember that slaves were pretty valuable. It's not like every Joe the wife beater could afford himself a black slave to abuse.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This history of the history of slavery is a little complicated.  For most of recorded history (but not the bits people focus on) slavery was commonplace.  It was just like, a thing anyone could do to anyone who wasn't part of their cultural circle.  Slaves were equivalent to the lowest of the low class; they might be treated horribly or just slightly worse than everyone else.

Then there was some statements from some popes that turned slavery into... more of a race thing than it had been before.  This is why slavery is a sore issue in America and likely will be for hundreds of years.  While there were some slave owners in the north who treated their one house slave as that member of the family who happened to be property, that was not the norm.  In the south slavery was an industry, plain and simple.  Slaves were treated like animals to beat them down; plantation owners (who owned most of the slaves) were terrified of slave rebellions and it was usually illegal to teach slaves to read.  This was backed up by a bunch of race-based us-guiding-them rhetoric.

In Europe and the other colonies I believe it was a similar story.  There might be the occasional house slaves or servant-a-likes that were treated decently but anything involving the word "plantation" and just assume a lot of people were worked to death.

I would say the 1600-1900s would be, if not the worst time for slaves, the time with the greatest disparity between slaves and non-slaves in terms of quality of life.  At least with the Romans or Vikings or whatever they would be willing to treat people who looked like their slaves as equals or close enough.  And in some ancient cultures people would be legally phased out of slavery after generation(s)/the freeing of slaves was decently common.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92931 on: December 31, 2015, 07:23:30 am »

I have this unlisted video on youtube that I'm thinking of releasing to the public...

but it's basically nothing but calling the fuck out of a (hilariously enough) smaller youtuber for stealing my shit, making a tiny edit and uploading it to youtube.

Is... is that okay? Is it okay to stir up shit about that kind of thing? Dude has a patreon, but, uh, again, plagiarism. I mean, goddamn.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92932 on: December 31, 2015, 07:31:06 am »

If you don't really care about subscribers go for it. Otherwise it would be made that you stole it, probably. You'd be surprised at the idiocy of people.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92933 on: December 31, 2015, 07:32:41 am »

Okay, made a more detailed post about it elsewhere going into more detail.

What do y'all think about MIDI conversion "remixes"? Ones that take other peoples' (I.E friggin mine) MIDI files made primarily for song learnin' and using them to make "remixes" by switching out the soundfonts.

Someone did that, and usually I don't care but there's money involved here. AFAIK it's theoretical money, but still money. And it's not my music, either, just a transcription thereof. I have a video I made for college calling basically them out that I've been debating making public, but I wonder what exactly anyone has to gain from that. I feel like it's not right to knock someone down... but it's also not right to try to ride off other peoples' work. I mean, spending over 20 hours transcribing music by ear is actual work, I'd say, and stealing it to make profit is Very Wrong, but I don't really have much to gain from a callout. It's unlisted, so I could give the link to people who are interested, and I think the link is technically public somewhere, but I'd rather not post it anywhere too close to places where MIDI gankers may lurk until I decide if it's worth it to make public.

If you don't really care about subscribers go for it. Otherwise it would be made that you stole it, probably. You'd be surprised at the idiocy of people.

I am reasonably sure that I am reasonably more popular than this other youtuber; also, I have, like, absolute proof. Not that I made the MIDI, but that a near-identical MIDI existed at all, which is really proof enough of charlatanism.

See, there's actually three videos that use my MIDIs for this purpose. One of them is a dumb soundfont replacement whose creator acknowledges it as such and credited me the instant I noticed it was mine. One of them I haven't seen at all, but assume is about the same since the first video's creator said that's where they got it. It's just the third one I'm worried about, one that has the label "remix" and asks "like, share, subscribe, gimme money on my patreon".
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:40:15 am by Putnam »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92934 on: December 31, 2015, 07:43:53 am »

There's about a half-dozen of them using those MIDIs if I'm not wrong. But yeah, given that you can produce proof that you made it feel free to call them out. Seeing that I occasionally dabble in music creation, stolen sounds are kind of a sore point with me.

Side Note, I've been told Dropbox also has a download cap.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92935 on: December 31, 2015, 07:49:54 am »

I only put it on dropbox because a single person wanted tablature. It took some serious detective work by me just to find where the hell I posted it publically (it was a post on reddit, two points, in a one point thread, and it was a .gp5 file, or guitar pro)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92936 on: December 31, 2015, 08:03:08 am »

how did so much fit in such a small building

we're not even done, but

today, i hauled out all the filled garbage bags to the pickup point

Two 33 gallon contractor bags, seven smaller normal-ish sized, and a full sized outdoors garbage can

there's still broken/trashable shit left in that building

much less, but goddamn

Not full on holy-shit-call-a-psychologist-and-maybe-a-priest hoarding, really, but definitely what you see as a precursor to it. S'just... no, grandparent. If it's been sitting buried under something since '94, you're not actually going to use it for anything. This holds true for '04, too! And a lot of other years, 'cause most of this shit hadn't seen the light of day in the better chunk of a decade. Yes, it could conceivably be repaired/repurposed/whatever (well, probably not, because if you use parts that eroded whatever you do with them is just going to goddamn break), but you're not going to at this point. Please stop saying you will. Actually, saying you will isn't an option now because it's in the garbage and soon to be gone, but still! And yes, before someone asks, the conversation has been had with the actual people involved. Doesn't stick.

Worst part is there's still like four or five buildings, fortunately mostly smaller, in about the same state. Just... starting from the beginning. Taking the time, et al. Maybe conveniently forgetting the other ones exist for a year or three, I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #92937 on: December 31, 2015, 08:35:28 am »

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:32:43 am by penguinofhonor »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92938 on: December 31, 2015, 09:12:19 am »

stuff

Ever find anything of value or is it all just basically broken rubbish?

Edit: Also I have a very good feeling about 2016.  Since I'm naturally a cynic and pessimist, I'm not feeling like myself today.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:33:56 am by Bouchart »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92939 on: December 31, 2015, 09:38:22 am »

Everything of value has been kept -- there was plenty of that, if not anything particularly amazing. Mostly miscellaneous tool/home-improvement related shit, with bits of paperwork, kitchen apparel, toys, and holiday cruft added in. Most of it's been consolidated into single boxes, as opposed to strewn and buried in a couple dozen different places.

Everything in those bags are all either broken rubbish, things that are completely and totally useless/obsolete (there were wires for modems that are no longer produced or usable in that mess, ferex) to the point it'd cost more to find a use for them than to just trash 'em, or stuff that's seriously not worth the effort of reclaiming (bug-eaten clothes, ferex, when half the reason the cleaning was occurring was to free up more space to put excess clothes :-\). With a side of "old medicine and makeup/lotion/etc. that would probably kill you if you used it". Buncha' shit like that.

Probably the closest thing to interesting was a mostly-broken TV that was made in the 70s. Has a handle! Smaller than most microwaves, and conceptually has a battery somewhere in it. Display part doesn't work. Sound does, sorta', not that there's really any stations for it to tune in on, heh. Was expecting it to catch fire when I plugged it in and turned it on (it's in pretty damn bad shape), if it worked at all, but it didn't which was nice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6194 6195 [6196] 6197 6198 ... 11040