Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6191 6192 [6193] 6194 6195 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14452115 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #92880 on: December 29, 2015, 07:40:40 pm »

My mother came into my room, took down the blanket I had wedged in the window, and tossed over the curtain rod, saying "it was causing a draft". It's dropped 5° by the time she was finished, and it's only gotten colder.

Note the blanket was wedged in by opening the window, putting the edge of the blanket in, and closing it. When I had done that, there was an immediate improvement.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92881 on: December 29, 2015, 07:41:41 pm »

...Put it back?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92882 on: December 29, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »

If that sounds cool, have you heard the music made by having floppy drives seek?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx_vWkv50uk

You know what theme would suit this kind of music?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #92883 on: December 29, 2015, 07:45:47 pm »

Had trouble seeing road signs in the distance. Years since I've seen an eye doctor. Went to eye doctor today.

He said my nearsightedness had gotten better in both eyes by 1.... Huh? I do not understand any of this. How did my distance vision get better if I see distant objects as blurry (with glasses)?

He did say the astigmatism got worse in both eyes, the left (3) far more than the right (1). However, he also said he wasn't sure if I even needed a new prescription. WTF? I don't understand this, because I am having trouble I didn't used to with this prescription over 7 years reading blurry distant signs.

I'm afraid I may have actually screwed up the test by looking in the wrong place. He said to look at the top row while he was doing the refraction ("1 or 2"). This didn't make sense to me because my problem is distance vision. It was my understanding that distance vision was the low rows.... Those lower rows were still blurry, because I was focusing on the top one.

He didn't seem to think things were out of sorts. I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong; he's an excellent doctor. I think I may have screwed it up somehow or something.

Bottom line, how did my distance vision get better when I see distant objects all blurry?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:01:58 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92884 on: December 29, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »

@Ultimuh, that's not a spoiler.  It's been on the Internets for Homestuck since years.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92885 on: December 29, 2015, 08:24:40 pm »

If you're still using the same prescription, true, it can be blurry even if things have improved. S'fairly likely, honestly -- if the glasses aren't tuned right, it's going to cause problems regardless as to how better or worse your eyesight is relative to the prescription. Which you're probably well aware of, heh. Doc may just be off a bit in suggesting you don't need yours updated. Would be my best guess, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #92886 on: December 29, 2015, 08:30:58 pm »

Some sort of engineer, IIRC, which is definitely in the realm of "mostly only works in procedural programming".

Also, the steam controller makes these silly saw wave ditties when it turns on. I was like "woah, wait, it has a speaker, nobody ever said that", but that's because it doesn't, it just vibrates its haptics at high frequencies to make music.
brb posting this to the chipWIN facebook group :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92887 on: December 29, 2015, 08:54:28 pm »

@Truean

The important thing for glasses is that their construction matches your eyes. As with medicine, it's important to get within a particular range, not just to pass a certain threshold. Any change in the state of your eyes, even for the better, will throw that off. If memory serves, it's because the focal point won't quite line up with where the shape of your eyes needs it to be for most nearsighted folks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92888 on: December 29, 2015, 08:58:29 pm »

@Ultimuh, that's not a spoiler.  It's been on the Internets for Homestuck since years.

Nah, the comment section is full of Undertale stuff and its the Undertale version of the song anyways. IIRC, there's actually three slightly different versions for different things done by the same dude.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92889 on: December 29, 2015, 09:00:35 pm »

I do think there are different capitalizations, which is interesting.
Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92890 on: December 29, 2015, 09:02:32 pm »

Mmh, the original was Megalovania, then HS was MeGaLoVania, and Undertale is in all caps.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:04:24 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92891 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:18 pm »

*Undertale's is in ALL CAPS.  I just checked.

You know, it'd be hard to request that on a radio show...
Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92892 on: December 29, 2015, 09:05:12 pm »

*Undertale's is in ALL CAPS.  I just checked.

You know, it'd be hard to request that on a radio show...
Huh okay, I thought so but when I went fora cursory Google search that wasn't what people where doing. Why would anyone not stylise things in the way you're meant to?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92893 on: December 29, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »

Why would anyone not stylise things in the way you're meant to?
Sturgeon's Revelation applies here, too. 90% of people are crud
I am the 90%
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92894 on: December 29, 2015, 09:13:31 pm »

@Graknorke:Probably because they don't realize that there are three separate Megalovaniae.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 6191 6192 [6193] 6194 6195 ... 11040