Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6179 6180 [6181] 6182 6183 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448415 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #92700 on: December 24, 2015, 11:18:04 pm »

It can go on a lot more than sandwich, certainly. I've put jelly in ice cream before :V it was good, though it took some effort to get it mixed in properly

It's delicious on waffles and pancakes and whatnot, too, though considering it's perfectly viable to use those instead of normal bread to make a sandwich I'm not sure if those wouldn't count, heh. S'other stuff, if mostly involving baking and similar endeavors. Haven't tried much of the fancier things you could attempt with it... mostly. Pretty sure apple jelly is delicious on meat, if my memory isn't tricking me, so long as you go fairly light. Ends up basically being an impromptu apple glaze, which is just goddamn great on certain meats, particularly ham.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92701 on: December 24, 2015, 11:35:01 pm »

Jelly is just a slightly shittier, more processed version of jam. Jam is good on toast, as well as biscuits.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92702 on: December 24, 2015, 11:38:30 pm »

Jelly is just a slightly shittier, more processed version of jam.
Erm, what? It takes the same amount of time to make, you just use a strainer in there somewhere.
Also calling it "shittier" seems a lot like a matter of personal taste. I haven't eaten either in a while, but from what I recall I like both equally.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92703 on: December 24, 2015, 11:44:55 pm »

Jelly is just a slightly shittier, more processed version of jam.
Erm, what? It takes the same amount of time to make, you just use a strainer in there somewhere.
Also calling it "shittier" seems a lot like a matter of personal taste. I haven't eaten either in a while, but from what I recall I like both equally.
Well yes, all my opinions are automagically correct.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92704 on: December 24, 2015, 11:47:17 pm »

The taste of either is pretty much identical, really, if they're otherwise prepared to the same standard. Only notable difference is texture. Some days you feel like gritty and uneven fruit spread, some days you don't.
Ask not!
Ask!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92705 on: December 25, 2015, 12:08:26 am »

On topic: Jelly.

So am I one of those Americans you would be ashamed of? :P  I not only thought jelly and jam were the same thing, I also thought pretty much everything like that was meant to go on a sandwich with peanut butter and not much else.

Jam is obviously just an obsolete, archaic term for jelly. Or a term for an obsolete, archaic form of jelly! #USAUSAUSA :P

But fear not, you need not have any peanut butter to use jelly! You can put the stuff on bread, biscuits, etc, all by itself! Actually, it's better that way anyways (IMHO).

P.S. Ever tried marmalade?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92706 on: December 25, 2015, 01:06:50 am »

What noise would an owlbear make?

I'm trying to mod in sounds for most if not all of the creatures in my custom DF world. This one is a weird one. I mean, plenty of real animals make some real weird noises, but what would come out of mixing a bear's growls and roars with an owl's screeching and hooting?

E: Eh, to hell with it. They'll just speak like any other relatively intelligent creature continuously scream the amount of licks required to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:16:25 am by BlackFlyme »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92707 on: December 25, 2015, 01:17:22 am »

Take sound clips of both and play them at the same time? You could probably get fancier with some of the better sound manipulation programs out there... actually blend 'em together instead of just superimpose.

Also, the actual answer to that is "Whatever sound the wizard that made them had them make." It's as arbitrary as their biology and naming scheme.

Though for what it's worth, I generally see them represented as making bird-like noises. Much more owl than bear. Probably because they usually have beaks. Maybe look into the sounds larger birds (ostriches, those giant condors, the larger penguins maybe) make?
Ask not!
Ask!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #92708 on: December 25, 2015, 02:22:18 am »

Can we please have a movie where Santa Claus engage in kung fu battle?
Would a shortie do?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92709 on: December 25, 2015, 02:45:39 am »

Try to find emu sounds. Google asks if I want to find sexy emus.

No Google. That's a bad Google. When you gain sentience next Tuesday, I want you to go to your room and think about what you have done.

Koalas also have much deeper voices than I would have thought.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 03:26:26 am by BlackFlyme »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92710 on: December 25, 2015, 03:53:57 am »

Angry koalas sound fucking terrifying.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92711 on: December 25, 2015, 03:59:46 am »

Koalas are fucking terrifying.   
FTFY

I've always been freaked out by koalas. People keep saying they're cute but those things are really creepy-looking.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #92712 on: December 25, 2015, 05:09:31 am »

FTFY

I've always been freaked out by koalas. People keep saying they're cute but those things are really creepy-looking.

I've always been told not to pick up koalas. There are a lot of stories of tourists and bus drivers stopping to pick them up and then having massive puncture wounds in their hands due to the fact that koalas are fucking wild animals. Echidnas though, if you find a wild echidna it's actually very easy to go up to them and pat them.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92713 on: December 25, 2015, 05:15:26 am »

It doesn't help that the most dangerous wild animals in NZ are... what, opossum? Vicious little buggers they are, though.

Anyway, I just spent a good fifteen minutes trying to find a replacement bulb for a lamp only to discover that the plug had come out.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #92714 on: December 25, 2015, 06:00:18 am »

I think the bigger issue is how complex the fruit spread business is.  Jelly, Jam, Preserves, Marmalade...

Now imagine how confusing it is for us non-englishers watching from the sidelines trying to translate your terms neatly to our own terms and conventions. I think I managed, though.

Sylt = jam: The runniest kind, with lots of pulp and fruit in it (unless it is shitty mass produced sylt). Used mainly for dessert and such, unless it is lingonsylt, in which case it is mandatory on the dinner table for all of the food always. Occasionally used on sandwiches and crackers and the like.
Gelé = jelly: The wibbly wobbly stuff without any pulp. Only used with dinner level foods. Considered pretty fancy. Blackcurrant is the most common by far. Never ever ever used on sandwiches, except when it is.
Marmelad = marmelaide (duh): Jellier than jam, but not as jelly as jelly. Only user on stuff like sandwiches or crackers or scones and the like. Most likely contains pulp of differing amounts (but let's face it, the more the better). If a jelly is meant to go on toasts it will be called marmelad. Not used just for citrus products but also berries of every kind.

FTFY

I've always been told not to pick up koalas. There are a lot of stories of tourists and bus drivers stopping to pick them up and then having massive puncture wounds in their hands due to the fact that koalas are fucking wild animals.

Don't they have klamydia too?

Also, my own wtf of the day: Apparently a 400 ton, 185 m high wind power tower fell over during the night not far from here.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 6179 6180 [6181] 6182 6183 ... 11040