Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6176 6177 [6178] 6179 6180 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445467 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #92655 on: December 24, 2015, 03:42:36 pm »

That said, I found out that my grammar with commas is mistaken. After ALL THESE YEARS! ._.
Don't get me started on english grammar, I still can't figure out if I'm supposed to put an apostrophe after the word, before the S or just not to have it at all to indicate ownership of something!
If it's a singular owner:
Before the s if it doesn't already have one.
>If it is one syllable, put an apostrophe-s on anyway.

If it's plural:
Apostrophe after the s.

I think.

Singular possessive is apostrophe before the 's', plural possesive is after the 's', and the possessive 'its' takes no apostrophe.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92656 on: December 24, 2015, 03:53:50 pm »

Sparkling Wine is called "Champaign" but true Champaign is Grapes from Champaign. Yet in popular consciousness that original connection is lost.
Champagne.

The champagne variety of grape can be grown anywhere, not just the Champagne region of France. Champagne wine is made with champagne grapes. Sparkling is made with the same process but different grapes.

I'm not sure who calls sparkling wine champagne; they're probably an idiot who can't read labels on the bottle.

Also, champagne doesn't look like a word any more.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #92657 on: December 24, 2015, 04:05:35 pm »

Champagne.

ChampagneChampagne.

ChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagne. 

ChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagne.

ChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagneChampagne.

Exponential growth of champagnes! Still look like a word?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92658 on: December 24, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »

Sure.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92659 on: December 24, 2015, 04:13:05 pm »

The champagne variety of grape can be grown anywhere, not just the Champagne region of France. Champagne wine is made with champagne grapes. Sparkling is made with the same process but different grapes.
I'm fairly certain that to be called Champagne, wine must be from certain grape varieties that have been grown in Chanpagne region in France (like Cognac must be grown in region of Cognac) and gone trough secondary fermentation after the bottling.
That, or my theachers lied to me at school.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92660 on: December 24, 2015, 04:14:00 pm »

... That's the EU rules, I think.  The US doesn't seem to care.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92661 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:34 pm »

Sparkling Wine is called "Champaign" but true Champaign is Grapes from Champaign. Yet in popular consciousness that original connection is lost.
Champagne.

Yes but unless it is SPECIFICALLY grown in that region... It doesn't count.

Yes... Wine Varieties can be that specific.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92662 on: December 24, 2015, 04:16:46 pm »

The US doesn't seem to care.
Last I checked at least...
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92663 on: December 24, 2015, 04:18:17 pm »

Its not so much wine being specific as much as the wine makers being very specific about their european naming. Meanwhile, the US calls it whatever it seems like.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #92664 on: December 24, 2015, 04:18:40 pm »

Champagne is literally just sparkly wine from a particular department of France, that being the one called champagne.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92665 on: December 24, 2015, 04:21:34 pm »

TIL that the EU is excessively pedantic when it comes to naming wines, and that the US is excessively careless.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92666 on: December 24, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »

i wonder if there are champagne makers in cognac

and cognac makers in champagne
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92667 on: December 24, 2015, 04:35:21 pm »

I seriously wonder how secular or "For everyone" Christmas has become already

I already know a few non-Christian countries celebrate it...

I wonder how long until it just becomes a universal Holiday.
It basically already is for everyone except SJWs. The establishment loves it because it promotes consumerism and stimulates the economy, everyone else does because it's an excuse to be cheerful, eat and drink tasty things, and take off from work.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92668 on: December 24, 2015, 04:46:26 pm »

Is there like a story, movie, or show that tries to handle what it would be like to be Santa Claus and literally know EVERYONE on earth?

ABSOLUTELY one that has a overall cheery outlook... I don't need dark reimagining of Santa Claus (they are never good "Ohh no Santa is killing people!")

Or better yet something where Santa is an established fact and how the world would work with such a person.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:30:18 pm by Neonivek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #92669 on: December 24, 2015, 04:49:40 pm »

Happy Feet is a really bad movie.

That is all.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 6176 6177 [6178] 6179 6180 ... 11040