Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6169 6170 [6171] 6172 6173 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449756 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #92550 on: December 22, 2015, 09:52:55 pm »

...So catborgs are rapidly becoming a Thing in the Corrupt A Wish thread.

All after a one-off about a pair of headphones.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92551 on: December 22, 2015, 09:56:02 pm »

You have no clue how much fun it is to watch you all squirm and utterly fail to corrupt my RP about being Cthulhu's unknowing catborg girlfriend.

I have no regrets about my headphone wish.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92552 on: December 22, 2015, 10:09:44 pm »

Steam is not allowing me to install a game. It's nearly done. 11.6 GB. I hit resume, it starts, then stops seconds later.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92553 on: December 22, 2015, 10:11:02 pm »

You have no clue how much fun it is to watch you all squirm and utterly fail to corrupt my RP about being Cthulhu's unknowing catborg girlfriend.

I have no regrets about my headphone wish.
I kinda want to make an SG out of it...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #92554 on: December 22, 2015, 10:11:52 pm »

I kinda thought he inhaled it but quickly rejected it from his body through some weird space Tai Chi.
It was a visible gas that was nowhere near his face, so that's not possible.

Assuming we're talking about the same scene in Ep. 1.
HE FORCE-INHALED IT.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92555 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:00 pm »

Steam is not allowing me to install a game. It's nearly done. 11.6 GB. I hit resume, it starts, then stops seconds later.
Christmas sale, everyone's buying and downloading.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #92556 on: December 22, 2015, 11:03:08 pm »

I have no idea how long I played Civ II today but it was several hours at the very least.

I am unsure if getting this was a good or a bad thing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92557 on: December 22, 2015, 11:44:23 pm »

Work has a webpage on the intraweb where they post Voluntary time off.  Basically when there's no work to be done the administration puts up a number of 'slots' thet people can claim that lets them clock out for the times specified.

Prople over the last year have noticed that the slots show up as availible in that system often a good 5 or 10 minutes before they are announced.

Fast forward to to the dystopian vto world of December 2015.  Everybody who wants time off has scripts installed on their browsers to reload that page every 5 seconds.  Some even have the scripts set to automatically take any slots available as they appear. If you are not automatically reloading the page, you are not getting VTO. period.  The entire intranet is beginning to crumble under the load as a good portion of the over 2000 workers have their computers set to constantly refresh the page every. second.  Custom scripts to automatically take slots are actually being given out as currency.   One person openly offered to give their custom firefox script to someone willing to cover for one of their work days.

Administration responds in an amusing way.  The page is now programmed to have a gif of Dennis Nedry saying "Uh Uh Uh, you didn't say the magic word." come up instead of the vto page if a person accesses the page more than 3 times in 2 minutes.   It caused an uproar of people complaining how it's so unfair and that they might as well stop giving VTO out if they are doing that.  Some even threaten to quit.

Completely ignoring the fact that you aren't even suppose to know it's there before the vto is announced.  My coworkers boggle the mind.  I mean it's not like they are stopping folks from doing it, they're just forcing people to set their scripts to reload once every 31 seconds instead of once every 5.  You know, so it stops bringing the servers to it's knees.

EDIT: I considered fixing the lack of sleep fueled typos but I like them so they are staying.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:58:10 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92558 on: December 23, 2015, 12:01:20 am »

So uh

what's the impetus behind this

what's so special about vto that people are literally becoming script kiddies to get some

cuz it SOUNDS like they're saying "OH I HAVE NO WORK, DON'T PAY ME!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92559 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:34 am »

That is exactly it.   Though it is a work from home job, so it's not like you have to commute there and back.  Though there is also literally nothing keeping you from having some video game running on your computer while you wait for phone calls to come in.

(I actually play DF myself)

I suppose no work may be a bad choice of words, I should say very little work.  It's a call center. It gives out calls to people working using a set queue system.  When it's buzy yer getting another call the moment you hang up.  When it's at the point where VTO is availible, yer sitting at your computer twiddling yer thumbs for 15 minutes before another call.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:09:26 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92560 on: December 23, 2015, 12:07:00 am »

so yeah what's the point of that that people are literally breaking the server so they get less pay?

I must be missing something
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92561 on: December 23, 2015, 12:07:24 am »

so yeah what's the point of that that people are literally breaking the server so they get less pay?

... Yep... I don't know either.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #92562 on: December 23, 2015, 12:13:44 am »

That, sir, is definitely a WTF-worthy scenario.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92563 on: December 23, 2015, 12:14:59 am »

they want to spend time with their families or some such rubbish

or more generally be freed from the obligation of being at their computers for the time specified
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #92564 on: December 23, 2015, 12:17:24 am »

I think, at a guess, while it's unlikely the company gets busy during vto periods, people who take vto are exempt from helping out if suddenly they get busy again.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 6169 6170 [6171] 6172 6173 ... 11040