Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6138 6139 [6140] 6141 6142 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458308 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #92085 on: December 16, 2015, 04:06:07 pm »

:v!

The WereAss: Tales of Thrusting and Neigh
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92086 on: December 16, 2015, 04:09:19 pm »

:v!

The WereAss: Tales of Thrusting and Neigh

>_>

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92087 on: December 16, 2015, 04:11:06 pm »

Have you all forgotten so soon?

Spoiler: Kinda NSFW? Maybe? (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92088 on: December 16, 2015, 04:18:36 pm »

and concerns the romance between a vampire and "a were-tiger princess". That sounds more like a really munchkin D&D party than a novel. When did repressed housewives replace teenage neckbeards?

Aren't vampirism and lycanthrophy both essentially STDs?

Also, the idea of repressed housewives getting together for a good ol' D&D session sounds pretty funny.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92089 on: December 16, 2015, 04:20:59 pm »

and concerns the romance between a vampire and "a were-tiger princess". That sounds more like a really munchkin D&D party than a novel. When did repressed housewives replace teenage neckbeards?

Also, the idea of repressed housewives getting together for a good ol' D&D session sounds pretty funny.

It is more that it is becoming less and less taboo for people to express their sexualities.

So instead of ostracized weirdos being the only ones who do, because they don't care about taboo or they used the internet, the everyday average person is.

Especially... groups who are NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE SEXUALITY!!! like... EWWWW Housewives! Only young women are allowed to have a sex life...

Ohh wait sorry I forgot we don't live in the 1950s.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92090 on: December 16, 2015, 04:27:30 pm »

Hell, I'm pretty sure I could write better quality fiction than the person who wrote "Racoon Sex God", but you gotta hand to these people, the art on some of these covers is really something else :P

Also, if I may ask, who the hell is this guy?? And why he's in so many covers??
Is odd erotic novel cover model a profession somewhere?
I'm familiar with this guy's prominence due to some time working for an overstocked thrift shop. One particular donator would continuously give us series' of trash erotica, and about 80% of the covers had Pseudo-Fabio here on them, though he looked more like the very last one than any of the others. I destroyed hundreds of them in an industrial mauler because nobody would ever buy them no matter how low the prices were set.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #92091 on: December 16, 2015, 04:29:56 pm »

Did you ever try reading, or just flicking through the pages, of one?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #92092 on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:30 pm »

That's the kind of novel that is written, edited and published in an afternoon.

Note the "AVON Books" - you're not that far off. AVON books is one of the biggest Extruded Book Product labels, along with Harlequin (and Harlequin's male-oriented Gold Eagle brand, which is shutting down) - at least they usualy give credit to the actual author instead of collectively writing under a pseudonym.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92093 on: December 16, 2015, 04:36:21 pm »

Did you ever try reading, or just flicking through the pages, of one?
Oh yeah, like you wouldn't believe. When we had downtime during the inventory period I would pick random pages of random books and begin reading aloud to my coworkers.

That, and their subsequent destruction, were glorious. Glorious.

Note the "AVON Books" - you're not that far off. AVON books is one of the biggest Extruded Book Product labels, along with Harlequin (and Harlequin's male-oriented Gold Eagle brand, which is shutting down) - at least they usualy give credit to the actual author instead of collectively writing under a pseudonym.
They should just get an advanced Markov chain and fire all their writers, it would give about the same level of quality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92094 on: December 16, 2015, 04:38:10 pm »

It is more that it is becoming less and less taboo for people to express their sexualities.

So instead of ostracized weirdos being the only ones who do, because they don't care about taboo or they used the internet, the everyday average person is.

Especially... groups who are NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE SEXUALITY!!! like... EWWWW Housewives! Only young women are allowed to have a sex life...

Ohh wait sorry I forgot we don't live in the 1950s.
Yeah, cause that's totally what I was saying.  ::)

It's more that trashfic is a cheap sell, and no talent is required. And the massive cost reductions associated with digital publishing mean that every fucker who can string a few words together like "his furry loins heaved against her ample body" can now be "a published author".

It's the downside of the democratization of media -- the signal-to-noise ratio increases dramatically. I would definitely label this stuff as "noise", but I realize there's an audience for it. But I retain the right to point and laugh at the genre, just as I do the "teen paranormal romance" genre (which is virtually the same thing, just less explicit and with more angst).

@Lord Shonus: "Extruded Book Product"....I was totally going to steal that, until I googled it and found the tvtropes page for it. Still, well played.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #92095 on: December 16, 2015, 04:42:40 pm »

@Lord Shonus: "Extruded Book Product"....I was totally going to steal that, until I googled it and found the tvtropes page for it. Still, well played.

I didn't get it from TVtropes - I've been calling them that since the 1990s when I found out that the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series were both created by the same person, and the people they were credited to never existed. I was studying manufacturing techniques in school at the time, and it seemed like an apt metaphor - not surprising that others had the same idea.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92096 on: December 16, 2015, 04:44:54 pm »

They should just get an advanced Markov chain and fire all their writers, it would give about the same level of quality.
They could even throw everything into a roborosewater-style rnn for the occasional even lower quality book.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92097 on: December 16, 2015, 04:49:05 pm »

How long before Toady has DF start actually *writing* books in-game? And then those get published, and he finally has a stable income source.

.....and now we know Dwarf Fortress's true purpose.  :o

mind=blown

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #92098 on: December 16, 2015, 04:54:05 pm »

I can see it now, Start Your Day with Sex, the prose is amateurish at best.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92099 on: December 16, 2015, 05:01:56 pm »

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 6138 6139 [6140] 6141 6142 ... 11040