Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6121 6122 [6123] 6124 6125 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14437489 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91830 on: December 12, 2015, 05:24:10 pm »

Just looks like binary data being output into your terminal.
Basically. The parts that surprised me were the corruption of the title bar, and it should be noted that that's a command prompt on the bottom. It wasn't just binary data output, it corrupted all the text from when the output began onward.
Maybe it didn't null terminate a string?
That is almost certainly what happened, yes. I just would've expected that to wreck the output of the program and probably cause a segfault - not go on to corrupt all text in the shell.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91831 on: December 12, 2015, 06:29:11 pm »

Ah, yes, I understand what game you mean, because like everyone else I possess telepathy.
Yeah, sorry, it was the Pewdiepie one. Sometimes I forget not everyone reads back a few pages on this thread like I do. Would've clarified if I'd been around earlier.

For what it's worth, my sister bought that game on her phone, not because she cares about the title personality, but solely because she's obsessed with several other play-videogames-on-youtube people who are all apparently playable characters. She seemed to enjoy it, for what it's worth.

I rarely venture onto the 'tubes so I can't pretend to know much about it, beyond what she's told me.
I...  Was briefly almost interested because I assume it has Cryaotic on it.  A cool guy who's basically the opposite of Pewdiepie but they're good friends.

He reads short stories and has a low soft voice and a great laugh, he's great
He also gets scared at horror games (which makes me feel better because so do I).
So basically he's the TS Eliot of Pewdiepie, wow what am I even saying.
Asked her, she confirmed that this guy being playable was the entire reason she bought the game. So there you go.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91832 on: December 12, 2015, 08:16:15 pm »

I can't tell if this guy's honestly buying it or if he's double-trolling.
The setup sounds pretty big with a decent audience, so that lends it credibility. But at the same time it's nearly impossible to see the show as being legit, no matter how big your persecution complex is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91833 on: December 12, 2015, 08:24:22 pm »

For every joke site like Christwire or The Onion, there are five or six actual-factual churches & Christian websites that will match it or do better.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91834 on: December 12, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »

i think i'm starting to get legitimately annoyed at the dwarf fortress community

like, not in the "don't you see you're discouraging smaller modders" way, that's barely a problem anymore, more like

"wow what is dwarf fortress doing the development isn't going the way the memes told me it would"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:32:36 pm by Putnam »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91835 on: December 12, 2015, 08:35:59 pm »

At least Toady will do his own thing until the end of time, regardless of whether the DF community is large, small or even nonexistent. Yanderedev is more than a little annoyed with the community of his own game, and I feel like something's about to break there. Shame because I really want to play the final Yandere Simulator, whenever it's coming.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91836 on: December 12, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »

"wow what is dwarf fortress doing the development isn't going the way the memes told me it would"
I dunno, assuming the memes you mean are the ones about crippling difficulty... I would actually kinda like to see more difficulty in DF again.
Not UI difficulty, anything Toady does to slay that beast is well needed IMO.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91837 on: December 12, 2015, 08:58:48 pm »

this topic is about all I can see on Bay 12, and we're not in a feature-making devcycle so it's not as noticeable, but on reddit it's completely awful. Every single time Toady decides to do anything that isn't bugfixes, people immediately say how stupid it is that he wants to develop instead of making bugfixes because he never does that I guess. They then disappear until the next development cycle, at which point they come out in full force to whine.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #91838 on: December 12, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »

i think i'm starting to get legitimately annoyed at the dwarf fortress community

like, not in the "don't you see you're discouraging smaller modders" way, that's barely a problem anymore, more like

I've had a look around and I'm not seeing this.
Am I blind or is this actually a pretty small issue? Because issues like that have been around a while, just in small numbers.
There's a decent amount of sentiment around the upperboards that DF isn't hard enough right now and that Toady's been doing "too much" to the game. It seems to usually be regarding the lack of broken creatures like elephants or carp and the fact that turtling in and waiting out sieges and the like are options; the second issue tends to create a tree of smaller issues, like "no tantrum spirals". I have a vague feeling a large portion of this minority has never actually played the versions that led to Headshoots or Boatmurdered.

It's easy enough in my opinion to do a self-imposed challenge to make the game harder; the easiest one I can think of to make the game harder is forbid yourself from making drawbridges at the front gates or to selectively seal off the caverns, forcing you to use locked doors and traps instead.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91839 on: December 12, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »

this topic is about all I can see on Bay 12, and we're not in a feature-making devcycle so it's not as noticeable, but on reddit it's completely awful. Every single time Toady decides to do anything that isn't bugfixes, people immediately say how stupid it is that he wants to develop instead of making bugfixes because he never does that I guess. They then disappear until the next development cycle, at which point they come out in full force to whine.
Okay, yeah, that's really dumb. I'm not sure how they expect the game to be finished if all that's ever done is fixing bugs.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91840 on: December 12, 2015, 09:04:22 pm »

I usually quit because of the interface, but ... If you want the game to buttrape you, just settle in an evil biome and don't bother to seal your dwarves in. I'm assuming that isn't any less deadly with the new version.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91841 on: December 12, 2015, 09:14:01 pm »

i just dropped a grand on a laptop that comes bundled with a backpack, mouse, and video game i will never play, because it was also on sale for $400 off

maybe the fact that they're going to so much effort to move units should clue me in to something, but dammit i need a laptop that can do things like crack passwords and run VMs and not forget what year it is whenever i unplug it like my current one does
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91842 on: December 12, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »

Am I blind or is this actually a pretty small issue? Because issues like that have been around a while, just in small numbers.
the fact that turtling in and waiting out sieges and the like are options

0.42.01 made that a lot less feasible by having dwarves become distracted and thus far less effective when they can't fulfill their intellectual needs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91843 on: December 12, 2015, 09:22:57 pm »

Isn't the point of a siege to be stuck inside a defensive position? If anything the game should focus on basing them more about that element of drawn-out hostilities instead of forcing you to charge out or whatever.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #91844 on: December 12, 2015, 09:24:08 pm »

the fact that turtling in and waiting out sieges and the like are options

0.42.01 made that a lot less feasible by having dwarves become distracted and thus far less effective when they can't fulfill their intellectual needs.
How does this stop you from turtling in?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 6121 6122 [6123] 6124 6125 ... 11040