Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6090 6091 [6092] 6093 6094 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446543 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91365 on: December 06, 2015, 09:38:25 am »

I think it's less about the idea of worship and more about total devotion and dominion to a will utterly alien to you and which clear dialogue is difficult. No offense to religious people, but that's how you get jihads.

Ohh yeah that is part of the "When they do it right". Someone who can make all your dreams come true but who is the total boss of you and commands your every move... IS not a good thing. Heck the Star Trek episode did it well, even ignoring the whole Kidnapping aspect, the god really couldn't give them anything they needed, but even Kirk recognizes that the cost was low.

But the sheer number of times I've seen it where all the god asked for amounts to appreciation and a building in their honor... >_< heaven forgive you pay someone in appreciation.

----

Ok... watched a cartoon where a spell turns everyone around them, including themselves, into dogs.

But what stood out and was actually really smart... is that the reverse spell... is actually in dog. They made the reverse spell, something that the person who used the spell, able to do by making it a series of barks and dog noises.

The sheer number of times a spell renders the person using it incapable of reversing it is immense.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:43:28 am by Neonivek »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91366 on: December 06, 2015, 09:43:56 am »

Well if the gods are demonstrably moving in the world then yes I agree that would be silly. See also: atheists/fake scientists who stuff their ears at demonstrably supernatural/magical occurrences in their setting because it's 'not scientific' despite being or affecting the natural world that they could study. (This is why I love magitek worlds where they study and harness magic, like running steam ships off magical never-dying fire, or spaceships using levitation magic, etc)

That said, if the gods are silent, then wasting time, effort, focus, and "well I did my part by praying" on them that could be used on actually fixing the issues IS a time where "we don't need gods" is a good point.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91367 on: December 06, 2015, 09:45:38 am »

...So, a story where the Gods are refusing to fix the world until they get enough worship?  That'd be interesting, exploration of freedom vs benign tyranny, but I've never seen a story like that.

Generally they're just dicks.  They play favorites at best, are tyrannical sadists playing a boardgame at worst (Greek pantheon lul).
So it's reasonable to wrest control back from those jerks before trying to improve the world.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91368 on: December 06, 2015, 09:58:30 am »

I pretty much don't understand the D: at the Star Wars prequels so...seeing all this is a bit of a WTF for me. As well as Lucas' ego and such.
Can I ask being enlightened as to why? :D

(I just took it for enjoyment...nudging aside some obvious flaws.)

On the original trilogy, Lucas was surrounded by people who were willing to confront him about his dumb-ass ideas and steer the film in better directions. During the filming of the prequels, he was too famous for anyone to want to risk arguing against him. The prequels are full of pandering, idiotic plotlines, terrible character-drama, &c., and they're like that because that's what Lucas wanted. The lightsaber battles in the original trilogy were symbolic and artful; the lightsaber battles in the prequels were YODA JUST DID A BACKFLIP OMG SO KOOL. There was a fundamental failure to make the audience care about Anakin and Padme.

A guy did a series of reviews of them devoted to highlighting a lot of this. But here are some select scenes using interview/inside-filming footage.

Staff reactions to Episode 1.
"It's like poetry." -G. Lucas
The most important point. Watch this if nothing else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91369 on: December 06, 2015, 10:31:13 am »

I find a lot of the "We don't need gods anymore" storylines to be... rather silly.

If only because it is once again attributing something not inherent in the idea to it.

"We don't need gods in our modern world!"

Yes... thank you soap box man... Yes we don't need someone who can
1) Fix global warming
2) Feed the hungry
3) Cure the sick
4) Fish up resources

All for what? making a building for him and telling him how much we appreciate it? OHH NO!

Not that I haven't seen it done well mind you. Just like "Magic versus Technology" a lot of the time they just upgrade magic to superstition even when it is an established fact... and they attribute gods to religion, even when the existence of say... Thor doesn't really constitute a religion in it of itself.

I liked Grandia II's take on this.
Spoiler: Major plot spoilers (click to show/hide)

Breath of Fire IV had another good go at this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #91370 on: December 06, 2015, 10:46:43 am »

Playing Oblivion lately, I am beginning to wonder what's the point in being up to date with games. Sure, you will miss out on the water cooler chat. On the other hand:

- You usually can get the game cheaper
- It's largely unfucked by the developer
- It's largely unfucked by the fans where the above failed
- If the game's moddable, there's already a decent community with a range of good mods
- You can run the game at max performance on a reasonably midrange machine instead of a supercomputer with a jet engine strapped on for cooling
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91371 on: December 06, 2015, 10:55:02 am »

Yeah, if it was fun when it was new and buggy as hell, and your PC barely chugged along playing it, then clearly it's a lot more fun playing it now at silky-smooth frame rates with up to date patches and a few of the best usability mods. For consoles that wasn't an issue, until the double-edged sword of being able to patch games online made them start shipping buggy crap as well in order to stay competitive.

Plus by not shelling out $80-100 dollars and waiting in line, you can buy more stuff and avoid the bullet of "I f-ing waited in line for 6 hours for this overhyped buggy piece of shit!?"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:59:08 am by Reelya »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91372 on: December 06, 2015, 11:08:59 am »

But you aren't gonna be the only guys on earth not buying fallout 5 when it comes out, are you? Not after they drop all those leaflets from space?
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91373 on: December 06, 2015, 11:18:43 am »

The issue I find with the "Gods aren't needed" storyline I guess

Is that it is kind of an apologist approach to modernity.

Everything revolves around proving that contemporary living is right! and shoves the plot, motivations, and characters are set up that way.

Now Actraiser did this the best. Simply by having the god known as "The Master" be a truly benevolent deity who does what he does for the sake of humanity and worship is done willingly rather then asked for. So when he defeats all evil and raises humanity to the point where they can take care of themselves he "goes to sleep" and slowly but surely everyone forgets about him and his statue (his sleeping form) slowly decays. It was actually incredibly depressing to me. Second game especially because the Master pretty much sacrifices everything to help these people who will so easily forget about him.

Then again "truly benevolent deities" who aren't ineffectual nature gods... are pretty dang rare in videogame fiction.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:20:54 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #91374 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:31 am »

In any fiction, and actual religious beliefs beyond that. Not just videogame ones, heh. The vast majority of gods, in any medium, with any degree of assumed existence, are, broadly speaking, jackasses that maybe do humans (/other applicable sophants) a good turn occasionally. Exceptions are... rare.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91375 on: December 06, 2015, 12:37:15 pm »

Truly benevolent deities isn't compatible with conflict, unless said deity is limited or opposed by something of comparable power.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91376 on: December 06, 2015, 12:57:56 pm »

Spoiler: Major plot spoilers (click to show/hide)
I have no idea what Grandia is, but that plot sounds a lot like Japanese Entertainment.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91377 on: December 06, 2015, 01:09:51 pm »

Truly benevolent deities isn't compatible with conflict, unless said deity is limited or opposed by something of comparable power.

And the staple of bad fiction is pointless drama and weak conflict.

I remember a time I asked for help with writing and I was being told that I was avoiding conflict, and they were probably right, but in my mind I was avoiding pointless conflict... putting people at odds for no reason other then to do it.

Remember the deity doesn't mean all powerful.

The Master, one of the most benevolent deities in fiction, was against creatures and demons many times stronger then him. In the second he has to sacrifice everything just to have a chance against the great evil that threatens humanity.

One Punch Man is a god. Yet his Manga didn't end after the first issue :P

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #91378 on: December 06, 2015, 01:14:23 pm »

Speaking of, does anyone know of any books where the main characters (including the enemy/s) are physical gods?
I Just can't think of any and it's been to long since I read an actual book.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91379 on: December 06, 2015, 01:15:05 pm »

Speaking of, does anyone know of any books where the main characters (including the enemy/s) are physical gods?
I Just can't think of any and it's been to long since I read an actual book.

Quite a few... but how far up the ladder do you mean? Like Omnipotent or like Norse?
Pages: 1 ... 6090 6091 [6092] 6093 6094 ... 11040