Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6065 6066 [6067] 6068 6069 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454240 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90990 on: November 29, 2015, 07:36:40 am »

Dating someone from Bay12 is weird. I always have to fight down to urge to be sugary sweet with my boyfriend on the forum.

As I still have no inkling as to who it is, I'd say you're in the clear.
I'm sure they appreciate the subtle 'wub', though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #90991 on: November 29, 2015, 07:52:31 am »

Yep.

I believe some early part of the space program used nearly pure oxygen for the shipboard atmosphere. Needless to say, there was a minor electrical fire and it exploded on the launch pad.

The only US mission that you could be thinking about is Apollo 1. While the oxygen level (chosen to prevent the astronauts from getting the bends, as happened to some atmospheric test pilots) contributed, it was not a "minor" electrical fire - there was evidence of so many arcs that they had no idea which one was the ignition source. Also, greater contributions to the problem were the high pressure of the in-cabin air, the fact that the cabin was covered in highly-flammable Velcro (which the astronauts had demanded to be removed, HAD been removed, but was reinstalled a few days before launch when the executives overrode the decision) and the fact that the hatch was impossible to open because NASA had stopped using explosive bolts after the Mercury capsule of Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom (in a fit of cruel irony, one of the victims of Apollo 1) Mercury capsule was lost subsequent to his flight. NASA blamed Grissom for "panicking" and triggering the bolts, causing the capsule to flood and sink. Instead, the command module hatch used was much more cumbersome and was intended only to be opened from the outside.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #90992 on: November 29, 2015, 07:55:53 am »

I apologize, my tendency towards hyper-and hypo-bole causes issues in reality, let alone text format.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90993 on: November 29, 2015, 08:07:04 am »

Please cinder, feel free to make passionate love to your boyfriend with words on the forum whenever you see fit, as long you can do it in a manner it's relevant to the thread  so you are not accused of posting off topic and give him some good ol love lube corn for his confort first. ;)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90994 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:29 am »

Personally disagree. I like that kinda stuff kept to a MZero level.
By which "it is happening."
"It has developed"
"We are married"
"I was not expecting the inlaws"
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90995 on: November 29, 2015, 08:51:36 am »

Yeah Tack has a point.

But it doesn't bother me personally at all.  I have issues with relationships but I like it when other people have them.  Gives me hope (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90996 on: November 29, 2015, 09:03:04 am »

Yeah, too much and it gets obnoxious very quickly, especially if one of your motivations is to "rub [your] happiness in other people's face."

Stick to what Tack said.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90997 on: November 29, 2015, 09:05:05 am »

Dating someone from Bay12 is weird. I always have to fight down to urge to be sugary sweet with my boyfriend on the forum.

As I still have no inkling as to who it is, I'd say you're in the clear.
I'm sure they appreciate the subtle 'wub', though.
It's flame.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90998 on: November 29, 2015, 09:14:31 am »

That being said, most of my "I love you's" have been delivered with all the warmth and gooey sweetness of a public service announcement.
So I wouldn't call myself a perfect baseline where public shows of affection are concerned.

That is, if these messages were even intended for the general public to begin with?
Judging by the ctrl-c/v, it may just be an incredibly polite, albeit not entirely tactful "shout from a rooftop".
Which is, in it's own way, cute.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #90999 on: November 29, 2015, 09:17:44 am »

The it's should be its.

Well. That's my affection done for the week.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91000 on: November 29, 2015, 09:18:29 am »

:facepalm:
My opinion: If you're on-topic, go for it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91001 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:49 am »

The it's should be its.

Well, that's my affection done for the week.

I knew it. My autocorrect is leading me astray once again. Thank you.

... Sorry guys. My intention isn't to cause squick or bitterness.
We'll try to keep it under control from here on out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91002 on: November 29, 2015, 09:27:53 am »

Huh?
What're you apologizing for?
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91003 on: November 29, 2015, 09:40:39 am »

Pathos?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #91004 on: November 29, 2015, 12:06:13 pm »

I just discovered the character function on Kindle X-Ray and it's spooking me bad.

It's just wonky enough that I don't believe it's preset.  Some characters with awkward names don't show up, even very important characters.  The quotes it uses as the descriptions often aren't very descriptive.

But in every other way it's so good it's freaky.  It never has false positives, even for proper nouns that are described like characters.  If characters go by multiple names it always keeps them in one file.  One character is always listed as "Mr. Tobo," even though nowhere in the book has he ever been called "Mr." 

Also if you click the button to see more it shows a dotted line mapping out all of the mentions in the book.  So if you're not careful you can get spoiled ahead of time when an important character suddenly stops being mentioned.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 6065 6066 [6067] 6068 6069 ... 11040