Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6058 6059 [6060] 6061 6062 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454394 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90885 on: November 26, 2015, 07:13:54 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #90886 on: November 26, 2015, 07:15:42 pm »

Putnam's argument:
"Language is used for communication. If your idea is adequately conveyed, then the language is correct."

Other people's argument:
"Language follows precedent. If your speech/writing/whatever doesn't follow that precedent, then it is incorrect (unless the variant enters common usage)."

Since we can get into this:

These are called description and prescription. Proper linguists are pretty much unanimous on linguistics being a descriptive science. Prescription is pedantry and not much more.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90887 on: November 26, 2015, 07:58:45 pm »

Putnam's argument:
"Language is used for communication. If your idea is adequately conveyed, then the language is correct."

Other people's argument:
"Language follows precedent. If your speech/writing/whatever doesn't follow that precedent, then it is incorrect (unless the variant enters common usage)."

These are called description and prescription. Proper linguists are pretty much unanimous on linguistics being a descriptive science. Prescription is pedantry and not much more.

Excellent job presenting that in an informative and wholly unbiased manner.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90888 on: November 26, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »

When I first saw the word "Ebonics", I thought of cybernetic enhancements made out of one of the strongest materials in The Elder Scrolls series.

Alas, it seems that Tamriel has been stuck in Medieval Stasis for the past... what? 5000 thousand years or so? I forget. The Merethic Era was exactly 2500 years(pre-ME doesn't count since time did not exist then), I think the First Era was about 1500 or so, I forget how long the Second Era was, Third Era was about 420 years. Anyways, I don't think they'll be any cyborgs on Nirn any time soon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90889 on: November 26, 2015, 09:17:11 pm »

Putnam's argument:

Other people's argument:

Excellent job presenting that in an informative and wholly unbiased manner.

Chuckle.

Putnam doesn't like word elitists.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90890 on: November 26, 2015, 09:23:22 pm »

When I first saw the word "Ebonics", I thought of cybernetic enhancements made out of one of the strongest materials in The Elder Scrolls series.

Alas, it seems that Tamriel has been stuck in Medieval Stasis for the past... what? 5000 thousand years or so? I forget. The Merethic Era was exactly 2500 years(pre-ME doesn't count since time did not exist then), I think the First Era was about 1500 or so, I forget how long the Second Era was, Third Era was about 420 years. Anyways, I don't think they'll be any cyborgs on Nirn any time soon.

Well SORT of... not only is there some sci-fi technology hidden about... But technology can only really advance when the gods decide you can.

Can't really discover gunpowder when explosions don't exist.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90891 on: November 26, 2015, 09:25:55 pm »

Gods that prevent anything and everything from exploding are just being dicks.

Particularly when they also allow nothing at all to explode on command. Which they typically do.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #90892 on: November 26, 2015, 09:34:03 pm »

I was always confused as to why copper doesn't exist.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #90893 on: November 26, 2015, 09:35:21 pm »

I CAST SUMMON PUTNAM
It's FEF, not FEOF

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #90895 on: November 26, 2015, 09:36:52 pm »

Not exactly medieval stasis considering there are (magical, admittedly) spaceships and robots. Anyway, it's 6950 up until Skyrim from the moment time became linear. Even if you go by young Earth creationism, it took quite a bit more than that until the industrial revolution happened in the real world. And besides, magic would completely screw with technology in some areas (why develop surgery when you got spells and potions that can cure internal injuries?).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90896 on: November 26, 2015, 09:38:04 pm »

The spaceships and robots are all lostech, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #90897 on: November 27, 2015, 12:41:18 am »

The Dwemer got past the stasis and disappeared, possibly into another dimension. Maybe Nirn is Purgatory, purposely stuck to let the innovative people move on? Then again, everyone in every work ever is Jesus in Purgatory.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #90898 on: November 27, 2015, 02:30:44 am »

Pelinal Whitestrake, for example, that you might remember being the guy in whose footsteps you walk in in the Oblivion Knights of the Nine DLC, was a terminator robot/android sent back in time from an unknown future to terminate destroy the Ayleid civilization and, preferably, all elves everywhere, although he never hot around to the second. He carried a laser gun which killed people so bad it scorched them from the very pattern of existence itself. (Yes, that means Umaril was actually fighting a desperate, losing battle to save at least parts of his broken civilization from complete and utter annihilation to the point where they would never have existed in the to begin with.)

So it's not all "losttech", it's also some "notachievedyettech".

Anyway, it's 6950 up until Skyrim from the moment time became linear.

This is also important to note. A lot of TES stuff (particularly mythic stuff) takes place before the Time Establishing Event (I forget what exactly this was called, so let's go with that), so it's not exactly possible to get an exact number of years since (the beginning of) the creation of Nirn/the Mundus.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #90899 on: November 27, 2015, 02:52:16 am »

the Time Establishing Event (I forget what exactly this was called, so let's go with that)
The Dragon Break, also known as "Fuck it, everything's canon. Yes, even the complete destruction of Tamriel."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 6058 6059 [6060] 6061 6062 ... 11040