Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6048 6049 [6050] 6051 6052 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454472 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90735 on: November 25, 2015, 08:48:38 am »

Well, in Truean's case, considering her field of work, having your thoughts on one issue or another become visible to certain people can really be somewhat dangerous. She didn't ask for it under a legal basis, I think, just as a courtesy of the forum people so she can feel safer while posting here, and most people accepted it as a common courtesy and something that anyone can ask for, so it stuck. Wheter or not it may be an efficient way of keeping your posts under certain people's radar is another thing entirely.

I'm somewhat biased towards Truean in this case since I'm also a lawyer, altough I'm don't live under the same conditions as she does so I'm ok with being quoted anywhere. But yea, no idea on caroline's reasons.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90736 on: November 25, 2015, 08:55:12 am »

I'm ok with being quoted anywhere.

Sounds like a challenge to me.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90737 on: November 25, 2015, 08:55:27 am »

Oh I understand now. In any case the wonders of internet is that when handled ok you can have some degree of anonymity, on the other hand it's really risky to go publishing thoughts that you think can get you in troubles, but at the same time I fully understand the need of lightening the burden.

Still it's something very weird to say at least, to expect some privacy here beyond the courtesy we might offer. If she's really being "watched" or under vigilance or something then you not even need to quote her, hell not even need to be registered on the site. Beyond being weird to expect it, it's simply insane. I hope is not a catchy trend, because then the forum will become really boring.

And finally... on the reggeton ban. Let start by the fact that reggeton is empirically bad, its not a matter of opinion. It should be banned, yes, but not with laws, but with musical education, more values at home and more culture. Banning a type of music (even when that "music" shouldn't even be considered music in the first place) is something really risky. What if tomorrow another politician doesn't like Mozart, Beethoven or Bach? Metallica, Iron Maiden or Pantera? Foo fighters, Interpol or Artic Monkeys? And thus they ban classic music, metal, rock, salsa or anything else?

No, regeeton should be fought against yes, but with education and the not glorification of the "thug lifestyle", not by stupid laws that would set a really bad precedent.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:08:17 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90738 on: November 25, 2015, 09:04:03 am »

Honestly I'd only report it for someone intentionally quoting Truean or someone else who had expressed a similarly valid reason for wanting to be able to emergency-purge their posting history.

It's also not something that people should be obliged to expect to have to do in the first place, and it's not okay to dogpile anyone for it regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90739 on: November 25, 2015, 09:15:15 am »

The thing is, what is a valid reason? And what is a valid post not to quote? I have only seen a post of Trueran, it was a rant about South Park? Unless she works for comedy central I think she's out of danger.

But meh... lost interest in this and have to go back to work.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90740 on: November 25, 2015, 09:17:23 am »

She's an attorney with personal circumstances that could endanger her career if they were discovered by people who know her in real life.

So yes, there are valid reasons. If quoting someone could cause meaningful damage to someone's life or well-being, it's not unreasonable to ask people to not quote them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90741 on: November 25, 2015, 09:21:22 am »

Facebook's 'On This Day' feature just served up an unpleasant reminder of how I looked a few years ago.
Thanks, Facebook.

I can't think of any other WTFs with which to pad out this post, sorry.

Edit: I guess the weird variety of music I'm listening to instead of sleeping could count.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:27:02 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90742 on: November 25, 2015, 09:32:42 am »

She's an attorney with personal circumstances that could endanger her career if they were discovered by people who know her in real life.
So she go and publish them online.... that's really WTF men. She won this thread.

On unrelated news, my sister is really worried we are witnessing the start of WW3, specially now that Turkey shot down a Russian military plane, I mean WTF? Syria is really messed up right now. The whole region is simply a huge Fstrom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90743 on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:55 am »

Nobody has a right not to be quoted, I don't think Truean argued that.  It's a reasonable request is all, and Toady has edited posts that quoted her.

I did get upset before when I quoted her out of ignorance, and got jumped on pretty harshly by a bunch of uninvolved parties.  Who didn't explain *why* she didn't want to be quoted, were just "It doesn't matter just show 'basic common decency'".  As if obeying a popular poster's demands for absolutely no reason is "decency".  I was tempted to keep quoting out of spite except that *she* did provide an explanation.  She was insulting about it too, and refused to link any explanation in her signature (which would help prevent further misunderstandings), but it was a fair enough reason.

Toady keeps the forums from being archived on the waybackmachine (robots.txt I assume).  So, while I still have doubts, no-quoting may actually be effective.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #90744 on: November 25, 2015, 09:46:09 am »

So she go and publish them online.... that's really WTF men. She won this thread.

On unrelated news, my sister is really worried we are witnessing the start of WW3, specially now that Turkey shot down a Russian military plane, I mean WTF? Syria is really messed up right now. The whole region is simply a huge Fstrom.
Yeah! If you have issues that are eating away at you and you don't have anyone to talk to, you should just internalise them! That's a great fucking idea, right?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90745 on: November 25, 2015, 09:50:10 am »

No, but perhaps if they concern your immediate co-workers/clients and you have a fairly high-profile job where your opponents are looking for ways to discredit you it is a better idea not to post such thoughts online? Unless you're okay with taking the risk of someone from your IRL career finding it, anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90746 on: November 25, 2015, 09:53:01 am »

Folks, I agree that it's a bit weird, but can't we just say it's her call to make?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90747 on: November 25, 2015, 09:54:40 am »

No, but we should respect it because it's reasonable and costs us nothing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90748 on: November 25, 2015, 09:55:08 am »

@miauw62
Anyway that's why you have an online persona. That's it, you don't login with your real name, reveal your real data to anyone, heck you don't even use the same email you normally use for anything else and presto, you don't have to look over your shoulder. Add some proxy filters at taste if you are really paranoid.

And if after all that you still have to look over your shoulder then probably is not the brightest idea to post "sensible" stuff on-line or you should really reflect upon a change of career to something less dangerous like being an astronaut, or a spy and infiltrate north Korean Government or at least change your clients if what you are currently doing is so soul crushing you need to publish about it online even at the risk of losing everything.

Folks, I agree that it's a bit weird, but can't we just say it's her call to make?
No, but we should respect it because it's reasonable and costs us nothing.

Let's move on.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:00:28 am by LordBaal »

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #90749 on: November 25, 2015, 10:35:31 am »

I copy and pasted Tack's personal text in Google Translate (it's in Japanese).
First time it read "That's enough."
I copied it once again and it said "I'll again say it's very good."
I copied it once again and IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE ANYMORE
Rubidium has RETURNED!
Pages: 1 ... 6048 6049 [6050] 6051 6052 ... 11040