Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6042 6043 [6044] 6045 6046 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462068 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90645 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:39 am »

Actually, IIRC it's pretty recently been uncovered that a lot of the vape fluids are carcinogenic.

Well yes, all of the nicotine ones. Unless they found out the "non-nicotine" ones are as well.

Nicotine isn't a carcinogen. The cancer, emphysema, &c. came from inhaling a bunch of tar-filled smoke with all sorts of nasty additives, which is why vapes were initially touted as a healthy alternative to smoking. The issue with vapes is that researchers found high levels of formaldehyde in the vapor--something like 5x-15x as much as in cigarette smoke under reasonable usage conditions.

The conditions under which the formaldehyde was produced (the maximum possible output) produced a cloud of boiling vapor that no human could ingest without severe pain. At any level possible to use, there is none. The scientist claims, based on the amount of vapor that he sees people produce, "many" people use the dangerous setting, but that is not necessary to produce large clouds.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #90646 on: November 24, 2015, 09:32:23 am »

But... If they wanted to watch them with me... That's fine.
Not that they're anything special to me! They're dumb! Really dumb!
Whatever!
Well, you're assimilating the tsun outlook quite nicely, at least.

Also you lie, neo. It's entirely possible to cook a steak for 18 hours without burning it. Just gotta' use low temperatures. There's more than one preparation method that calls for slow cooking. Thing tends to not be particularly coherent afterwards, but it's doable.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90647 on: November 24, 2015, 09:36:32 am »

I've taken to watching Shojo...
So far only one housemate has found out.
But I yelled that if they told anyone I'd kill them. absolutely.
Whatever!

Here's your complementary feels tissue and shipping ruleset :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #90648 on: November 24, 2015, 09:39:32 am »

Do note the shipping ruleset consists of one line.

Quote from: The Shipping Ruleset in its entirety
1) Ship it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90649 on: November 24, 2015, 10:31:58 am »

So as someone whose brother is addicted to nicotine, and used to smoke...
Vaping is massively preferable to smoking for everyone involved.  Tobacco smoke makes me cough as I pass, stains into walls and clothes, and secondhand smoke is a cancer risk.

I can't smell the vapor myself, because I can't smell, but it doesn't make me cough.  I did try a nicotine-free one once and it tasted like licorice, that was cool.  There's certainly no solid evidence that it's carcinogenic, and my mom (who's crazy about smells, also a nurse) is fine with it.

It still sucks that people get addicted to nicotine, but vaping is clean and (as far as we know) safe.  Blowing vapor in peoples' faces is still kinda gross, but that's something assholes do on purpose.

"vaping == fedoras" bothers me for several reasons, but basically it's just a witless dig.  My brother doesn't vape because he's "one of them hipsters" or something, he does it because he's addicted to nicotine.  And unlike cigarettes or patches, he's been able to steadily decrease the nicotine content.  In the meantime he isn't consuming tar and filling the air with nicotine smoke.  He likes the flavors and plans to keep vaping once he's free of nicotine, and I strongly considered starting (it's kinda pricey though, plus I can't smell).

I don't like being around smokers, but vaping is totally different.  Took me a while to realize that, too, so I don't really blame people for being misinformed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90650 on: November 24, 2015, 11:37:24 am »

So far only one housemate has found out.
But I yelled that if they told anyone I'd kill them. absolutely.
Whatever!

Tsundere really isn't as much of a shojo thing however as it is in anime for guys.

In shonen/harem, you have the loser hero, and the hot girls who want him, but they play coy (hence, tsundere) so that the plot can remain in balance.

In shojo romcoms, you have the loser heroine, but she's usually dominated by the (rich) bad-boy love interest. Very often a borderline (or over the border) rapist. Sure, the girls in shojo are often upset about how they're treated. But since a lot of this stuff seems like borderline rape fantasy fuel for girls, it's actually understandable that they recoil from the guys at first. What is inexplicable is that they end up falling in love with the evil asshats.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:55:07 am by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90651 on: November 24, 2015, 11:51:52 am »

Whatever!
Well, you're assimilating the tsun outlook quite nicely, at least.

Also you lie, neo. It's entirely possible to cook a steak for 18 hours without burning it. Just gotta' use low temperatures. There's more than one preparation method that calls for slow cooking. Thing tends to not be particularly coherent afterwards, but it's doable.
I suddenly want to make steak soup with nothing but a steak and a slow cooker.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #90652 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:37 am »

Then do so.

So today my father and I went to change the tires on my car. Broke one stud off one tire hub and two off the other, because apparently whoever was hired to do it last put the bolts on way too tight. Since It wouldn't be safe to drive now... I get to figure out how I'm supposed to get home tomorrow night.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #90653 on: November 24, 2015, 12:00:10 pm »

I suddenly want to make steak soup with nothing but a steak and a slow cooker.

Won't be enough liquid for more than a thick gravy, I should think.

So today my father and I went to change the tires on my car. Broke one stud off one tire hub and two off the other, because apparently whoever was hired to do it last put the bolts on way too tight. Since It wouldn't be safe to drive now... I get to figure out how I'm supposed to get home tomorrow night.

Ouch, good luck. Ridiculous that someone paid for that kind of thing wouldn't have a torque wrench... :-\

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #90654 on: November 24, 2015, 12:22:02 pm »

Hmph.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90655 on: November 24, 2015, 12:23:41 pm »

Math: not even once.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90656 on: November 24, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »

Here's your complementary feels tissue and shipping ruleset :v
Dang right!

Remember kids, Ships float, canons sink! At least once the pages soak through.
>triple metaphor. I am on Fire<
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:29:16 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #90657 on: November 24, 2015, 12:27:35 pm »

Math: not even once.
Almost everyone who ever did math is dead or dying. Coincidence? I think not!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90658 on: November 24, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »

Math is the oldest language which hasn't yet died.
Profund.

Or. I have a hankering to administer profundity to anything I can get my hands on.
In it's own way... The phenomenon... Yes. Profound.

I must meditate.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90659 on: November 24, 2015, 12:35:22 pm »

Actually, IIRC it's pretty recently been uncovered that a lot of the vape fluids are carcinogenic.

Well yes, all of the nicotine ones. Unless they found out the "non-nicotine" ones are as well.

Nicotine isn't a carcinogen. The cancer, emphysema, &c. came from inhaling a bunch of tar-filled smoke with all sorts of nasty additives, which is why vapes were initially touted as a healthy alternative to smoking. The issue with vapes is that researchers found high levels of formaldehyde in the vapor--something like 5x-15x as much as in cigarette smoke under reasonable usage conditions.

Yep but reading the article it seems that the condition for it to produce formaldehyde is unrealistic for most (if not all) people.

As the article said it is the equivalent of a steak that has been cooked for 18 hours. Sure it is full of carcinogens, but it is also charcoal.

...No, the article did not say that.

Quote from: Gregory Conley of the American Vaping Association
Conley compares it to overcooking a steak.

The conditions under which the formaldehyde was produced (the maximum possible output) produced a cloud of boiling vapor that no human could ingest without severe pain. At any level possible to use, there is none. The scientist claims, based on the amount of vapor that he sees people produce, "many" people use the dangerous setting, but that is not necessary to produce large clouds.
Quote from: Directly from the linked study
Here we present results of an analysis of commercial e-liquid vaporized with the use of a “tank system” e-cigarette featuring a variable-voltage battery. The aerosolized liquid was collected in an NMR spectroscopy tube (10 50-ml puffs over 5 minutes; 3 to 4 seconds per puff). With each puff, 5 to 11 mg of e-liquid was consumed, and 2 to 6 mg of liquid was collected. At low voltage (3.3 V), we did not detect the formation of any formaldehyde-releasing agents (estimated limit of detection, approximately 0.1 μg per 10 puffs). At high voltage (5.0 V), a mean (±SE) of 380±90 μg per sample (10 puffs) of formaldehyde was detected as formaldehyde-releasing agents. Extrapolating from the results at high voltage, an e-cigarette user vaping at a rate of 3 ml per day would inhale 14.4±3.3 mg of formaldehyde per day in formaldehyde-releasing agents. This estimate is conservative because we did not collect all of the aerosolized liquid, nor did we collect any gas-phase formaldehyde. One estimate of the average delivery of formaldehyde from conventional cigarettes is approximately 150 μg per cigarette,3 or 3 mg per pack of 20 cigarettes. Daily exposures of formaldehyde associated with cigarettes, e-cigarettes from the formaldehyde gas phase, and e-cigarettes from aerosol particles containing formaldehyde-releasing agents are shown in Figure 1.

Standard voltage on most vapes is 3.7 V. The high voltage setting which was the basis for the claims (5 V) is well within the ideal range for vaping (example here). The upper range for vaping without burning the juice or damaging the coil is 8 V. I haven't been able to dig up a single mention anywhere of the heat of the vapor being a health concern because of potential scalding. Pretty much any vaping-centric source will tell you that it's a matter of the blend you use and personal preference; 3.3 V isn't just low, it's at the very bottom end of the spectrum most people who use this stuff talk about.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6042 6043 [6044] 6045 6046 ... 11040