Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6035 6036 [6037] 6038 6039 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458834 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90540 on: November 21, 2015, 08:42:45 pm »

Paint.net is better than normal paint anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #90541 on: November 21, 2015, 09:53:53 pm »

Paint.net is better than normal paint anyway.
Can confirm.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #90542 on: November 21, 2015, 11:29:22 pm »

Every bridge across the river is currently either closed due to accidents or impossible to reach because of very heavy traffic diverting because of said accidents, as I discovered when it took 45 minutes after leaving the house to get back home after trying to take an alternate route. With only 5 minutes remaining before work (fortunately, I left more than half an hour earlier than usual today). I decided to simply take a sick day (no worries here, my workplace has a very generous attendance policy, the only real problem is that I have to use some vacation time that I had wanted to save), reasoning that if it is going to take more than two hours to clean up the roads (likely, from what I saw of the accidents) everyone will be better off if I simply don't go in - I don't risk no-call no-show, they know they'll have to reassign my job to someone else. The second-shift supervisor who answered the phone gave me a lot of shit about "can't you go around?"
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #90543 on: November 22, 2015, 02:31:11 am »

Fun fact, there's a highway right above my house, and whenever some idiot semitruck-driver takes a turn too fast and blocks said highway, all the highway traffic comes through my neighborhood. Great fun, lots of speed limit violations and overclocked subwoofers for a few hours while they fix it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #90544 on: November 22, 2015, 06:27:31 am »

Quote from: eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-21-keith-stuart-on-ai-acting-and-the-weird-future-of-open-world-games
How can we make an open-world game that looks like it is really responding to, and learning from, the player?

If I've learned anything from people talking about game AI, where people call F.E.A.R's AI incredible and never really compliment Dwarf Fortress's in anyway way that is actually correct: you tell the player what the AI is doing. That's the single most important thing. The AI in Metal Gear Solid V or Half-Life 2 will flank me, but people don't talk about that nearly as much as F.E.A.R. because in F.E.A.R. an AI enemy will literally say "FLANK HIM!" before they do so.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:40:31 am by Putnam »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90545 on: November 22, 2015, 06:39:06 am »

That's not entirely unreasonable, though. Most players don't care enough to reload and replay the same encounter over and over to determine the degree of complexity and intelligence displayed by how the AI reacts to their actions and positioning (or, I suppose, if the AI is actually reacting to them in a meaningful way at all), so the things that stand out are the ones which are readily obvious--people notice the AI working to flank them more when they get an obvious indicator that the AI is doing it intentionally rather than accidentally.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #90546 on: November 22, 2015, 06:40:17 am »

That's not entirely unreasonable, though. Most players don't care enough to reload and replay the same encounter over and over to determine the degree of complexity and intelligence displayed by how the AI reacts to their actions and positioning (or, I suppose, if the AI is actually reacting to them in a meaningful way at all), so the things that stand out are the ones which are readily obvious--people notice the AI working to flank them more when they get an obvious indicator that the AI is doing it intentionally rather than accidentally.

I didn't say it was unreasonable, hell, I was basically saying that it's preferable to have the game tell you what the AI is doing whenever possible.

UNRELATED EDIT: jesus christ i hate it when people are like "ugh new words are so dumb"

like just because you're a pretentious twat doesn't mean you know how language works, fuck

people can say "bae" and "ratchet" all they want, that's how fucking language works, people start using a word to mean something and the fucking word means the fucking thing, goddamn

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90547 on: November 22, 2015, 06:42:44 am »

Yup.  I would make a Frindle joke but I don't actually have any way of working one into a tyoed post.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90548 on: November 22, 2015, 09:02:07 am »

I didn't say it was unreasonable, hell, I was basically saying that it's preferable to have the game tell you what the AI is doing whenever possible.

UNRELATED EDIT: jesus christ i hate it when people are like "ugh new words are so dumb"

like just because you're a pretentious twat doesn't mean you know how language works, fuck

people can say "bae" and "ratchet" all they want, that's how fucking language works, people start using a word to mean something and the fucking word means the fucking thing, goddamn

Yeah, that's what I thought, but it was like 5:40 AM and I'd just finished shoving two weeks worth of work into two hours so I wasn't firing on all cylinders.  :P

Mm, genuinely new words are one of the points where I actually agree wholeheartedly with descriptivists. Doesn't mean that I don't think that trying to defend shit like using "literally" to mean "figuratively" isn't daft, though. S'all about enhancing and expanding the clarity and quality of meaning.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90549 on: November 22, 2015, 10:05:59 am »

Abstract: I show that in kinematic situations, π is 4. For all those going ballistic over my title, I repeat and stress that this paper applies to kinematic situations, not to static situations. I am analyzing an orbit, which is caused by motion and includes the time variable. In that situation, π becomes 4. When measuring your waistline, you are not creating an orbit, and you can keep π for that. So quit writing me nasty, uninformed letters.
time cube?
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90550 on: November 22, 2015, 10:58:41 am »

jesus christ i hate it when people are like "ugh new words are so dumb"

Mm, genuinely new words are one of the points where I actually agree wholeheartedly with descriptivists. Doesn't mean that I don't think that trying to defend shit like using "literally" to mean "figuratively" isn't daft, though. S'all about enhancing and expanding the clarity and quality of meaning.
Partially agree. I'm a language conservative... Probly.
Eh. Can't be bothered arguing this. Slippery slope. Double plus ungoodfeels.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:00:40 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #90551 on: November 22, 2015, 11:22:38 am »

I think that it's nice to use words in their proper ways in most formal settings, where prescriptive beats descriptive. However, when it's informal it tends to be alright to use the descriptive rather than prescriptive. Of course, I usually use the prescriptive modes, but that's personal preference.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #90552 on: November 22, 2015, 11:24:34 am »

Prescriptive is just descriptive that's been around for longer.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #90553 on: November 22, 2015, 11:29:34 am »

Bae is just babe, though, isn't it? I will say that it sounds very hillhillish, though.

I haven't heard thus ratchet thing. What does it mean in slang these days? The only connotation I have for it is "noicy noice".
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90554 on: November 22, 2015, 11:38:42 am »

Rat-shit.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6035 6036 [6037] 6038 6039 ... 11040