Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6010 6011 [6012] 6013 6014 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446263 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90165 on: November 16, 2015, 06:47:59 pm »

The one that gets my goat is the really common one:
Fries > chips
Chips > crisps
Crisps > cobblers

Like, when I say I like apple crisps,  a European might offer me a dried apple slice, which I haaate dried fruit, but it would still be what I asked for.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #90166 on: November 16, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »

We need international standards for what educational facilities are called, dammit.

I wish Englishmen Americans would learn to speak English properly: the American English way.  Why do those guys have different words for things?
FTFY.

I remember getting into arguments with Americans over the whole aluminium/aluminum thing. (Yes, I know they are both correct. No, I don't care. Aluminium 'til I die!)
Aluminum is still better. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90167 on: November 16, 2015, 06:55:16 pm »

Americans have a different word for sausage rolls?
No, they just don't have them. So the NYT decided to run a piece saying that they were an upper class delicacy.
The internet then exploded as proud britons tried to educate barbaric rebels about the glorious sausage roll.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #90168 on: November 16, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »

No, they just don't have them. So the NYT decided to run a piece saying that they were an upper class delicacy.
The internet then exploded as proud britons tried to educate barbaric rebels about the glorious sausage roll.
"Upper class delicacy"? Holy crap that's beautiful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90169 on: November 16, 2015, 07:00:11 pm »

... What, it's obviously just a pig-in-a-blanket right?
*checks*
Basically.  That's dumb, we pretty much have those...  I guess we don't call them "sausage rolls" but that's pretty intuitive.
(Though to be fair, pig-in-a-blanket might be a Southern US term and involves a mini hotdog instead of ground pork)

I guess we'd probably call a proper sausage roll a meat pie.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #90170 on: November 16, 2015, 07:03:51 pm »

Isn't a sausage roll just sausage meat rolled up in pastry? Used to be get them from Gregg's bakers with a fudge donut all the time. They weren't very good though :)) donuts were fantastic though.

Edit: pigs in blankets are mini sausages wrapper in bacon.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90171 on: November 16, 2015, 07:04:11 pm »

When I think of English delicacies I think of...well I draw a blank, to be honest.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90172 on: November 16, 2015, 07:12:45 pm »

When I think of English delicacies I think of...well I draw a blank, to be honest.
Mashed potatoes and a side dish of corned beef, mate.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90173 on: November 16, 2015, 07:18:54 pm »

I do

Mashed potatoes and a side dish of corned beef, mate.

I do love potatoes.  As for corned beef, it's too greasy for me to digest.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90174 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »

If you're going to ignore the wide variety of cakes and various combinations of meat and pie then yeah there isn't much.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #90175 on: November 16, 2015, 07:23:23 pm »

Escargot? Wait, that's French, never mind me.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #90176 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »

Black pudding?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #90177 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25:49 pm »

Scones with Cornish clotted cream and jam? Or is it scones with jam and Cornish clotted cream? Not even us in England can decide.

(Scones... That's another pronunciation war right there.)

Isn't a sausage roll just sausage meat rolled up in pastry? Used to be get them from Gregg's bakers with a fudge donut all the time. They weren't very good though :)) donuts were fantastic though.

Edit: pigs in blankets are mini sausages wrapper in bacon.

Do you have a Birds shop near where you live? They do some pretty good sausage rolls. No, hold on. Seems they're local to the West Midlands, where I live. Sorry.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90178 on: November 16, 2015, 08:17:44 pm »

...What if there was an extremist group that is pushing for the equality of both sex at the cost of everything else?

Egalitarian extremists tend to be just as sexist as extreme anything (Yes even extreme "what you were just thinking")

For example do you have a disability? Well we can't treat you special because everyone is on a level playing field... so your fired :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #90179 on: November 16, 2015, 09:04:21 pm »

Cumberland sausage, Yorkshire pudding, Sunday roast, Chicken Tikka Masala, Dumplings, Full English Breakfast, salt beef, rashers, lamb and mint, salmon, eel, Fish and Chips, Peas and Mash, Cheddar and Stilton, Treacles, Trifles, Triple Trifles, Black Pudding and a bunch of other crap we pretend is French food to double the price. Also a Welsh culinary export they had the unfortunate luck of naming faggot.
Pages: 1 ... 6010 6011 [6012] 6013 6014 ... 11040