Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5991 5992 [5993] 5994 5995 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441682 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89880 on: November 12, 2015, 10:27:28 pm »

Anyone who had a real working quantum computer would use it to steal a lot of money, what with cracking encryption algorithms currently used in online transactions.
I wouldn't.  Because that's theft.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89881 on: November 12, 2015, 10:28:42 pm »

Anyone who had a real working quantum computer would use it to steal a lot of money, what with cracking encryption algorithms currently used in online transactions.
I wouldn't.  Because that's theft.
Alright, how about just casually taking whatever information you want from every single database and email account connected to the internet?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89882 on: November 12, 2015, 10:29:56 pm »

Alright, how about just casually taking whatever information you want from every single database and email account connected to the internet?
I have the knowledge

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89883 on: November 12, 2015, 10:37:12 pm »

I thought people thought that country was just shit. Because it is.
Johnny Cash. Your argument is invalid.

Also Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffet, Mojo Nixon, and the soundtrack to Club Dread
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89884 on: November 12, 2015, 10:37:44 pm »

I have the knowledge
It- it wanted to be free.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89885 on: November 12, 2015, 10:49:18 pm »

Anything involving quantum anything is friggin' weird and makes no sense. As such we should be putting as much money as possible into working it into WMDs something with real-world applications outside of warfare.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89886 on: November 12, 2015, 10:51:04 pm »

I just thought...

Wouldn't it be interesting if Matchmaking games actually had a difficulty setting?

I was thinking (because of a video I saw) about Smurfing and I always knew that people smurfed more because it is actually more fun then playing the game legitimately for most people most of the time. Matchmaking doesn't let you control the difficulty curve and instead essentially puts the game on hard forever.

I can think of many games I played in the past that I would have never tried out if the game was set to hard and could never be turned off.

But in the end Smurfs just kind of push their problems onto the less experienced players and ruin it for everyone else.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89887 on: November 12, 2015, 10:51:43 pm »

I thought people thought that country was just shit. Because it is.
Johnny Cash. Your argument is invalid.

Also Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffet, Mojo Nixon, and the soundtrack to Club Dread
Would Jimmy Buffet be classed as country? If so, yes, then he would definitely be a strong argument in its favour.
I've always thought of his stuff as more... I dunno, "calypso" or whatever.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89888 on: November 12, 2015, 11:07:58 pm »

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89889 on: November 12, 2015, 11:09:21 pm »

For what it's worth there's already a handful of banks and other secure databases that have moved to Post-quantum cryptography, and more are switching every year. This is one of those cases where everything important is going to switch long before a viable quantum computer is on the market, because as a rule of thumb banks don't like people stealing money. :P

This, on the other hand, is much more likely to have serious repercussions. Google will almost certainly be safe, but I wouldn't put too much trust in smaller companies which will probably be rather reluctant to pay the money to switch all their software.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89890 on: November 12, 2015, 11:09:54 pm »

What the hell happened to Yale? http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/11/09/students-protest-buckley-talk/

It is a College/University... I know it is silly to say this but...

They petition and protest for fun. You really can't take it seriously.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #89891 on: November 12, 2015, 11:22:08 pm »

What the hell happened to Yale? http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/11/09/students-protest-buckley-talk/

It doesn't matter if you take it seriously. The perspective of media does matter, because it informs the uninformed whether they're anti-corporation hipsters or not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89892 on: November 12, 2015, 11:34:13 pm »

It doesn't matter if you take it seriously. The perspective of media does matter, because it informs the uninformed whether they're anti-corporation hipsters or not.

It was Yales own newspapers that wrote this... Which is often written by other students.

But fine let me just ask. How many of the people there weren't Yale students? How many of them had to go even slightly out of their way for this protest?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89893 on: November 12, 2015, 11:37:27 pm »

I just thought...

Wouldn't it be interesting if Matchmaking games actually had a difficulty setting?

I was thinking (because of a video I saw) about Smurfing and I always knew that people smurfed more because it is actually more fun then playing the game legitimately for most people most of the time. Matchmaking doesn't let you control the difficulty curve and instead essentially puts the game on hard forever.

I can think of many games I played in the past that I would have never tried out if the game was set to hard and could never be turned off.

But in the end Smurfs just kind of push their problems onto the less experienced players and ruin it for everyone else.

Street Fighter IV actually has a "match only with players of higher skill" option.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89894 on: November 12, 2015, 11:38:40 pm »

I just realised that, in essence, the only form of government I'd be content with is one that involves me in a position of absolute power (and a very effective propaganda department).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5991 5992 [5993] 5994 5995 ... 11040