Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5987 5988 [5989] 5990 5991 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444299 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89820 on: November 12, 2015, 10:59:44 am »

Actually, what I've also noticed is that the quantity of Youtube comments seemed to have gone on some weird exponential curve. There are so many comments dated 2014-2015 that it feels that recently people just started shitposting everywhere for the sake of shitposting in a positive memetic feedback loop, like a machine. Maybe that explains the steadily lowering average memory length...
the amount of videos on youtube is growing more than linearily, and even without that you would be more likely to watch videos made recently than videos made a long time ago.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #89821 on: November 12, 2015, 12:08:05 pm »

I remembered that molecular gastronomy is a thing. I believe that this recipe in particular has crossed the line from "cooking" into "alchemy, black magic and the occult".
That reminds me, I've actually done spherification. Turns out before it was used as a method of gimmicky delivery of overpriced liquids, it was an established lab technique.

It's also really, really fun and easy to do. Pity that what we made with it was inedible - at least, unless you are a living yeast enthusiast.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89822 on: November 12, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »

Caravan Palace released a new music video, but it's really weird. And not just the weird that it's meant to be, the pacing of the animation is just so totally out of sync with the pace of the music sometimes. And there's a goat stripper which to be honest feels a bit out of place since it's literally just a goat stripping.

EDIT: Figured out at least part of why it looks weird, the animation is rotoscoped.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:48:22 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89823 on: November 12, 2015, 04:06:25 pm »

But that is country music. It's your view of country music that is cliched/wrong, not your mother. Little Big Town aren't really any different to the Dixie Chicks or other girl/country groups. Little Big Town are a Nashville band, signed to a country music label, and their music is pretty much straight country ballad / girl group stuff. Remember this is the music from your mother's generation, so you should sort of assume she has more knowledge about such things.

Quite. While a lot of people think that country music is either the "bro country" that is quite vocal right now, or the "A train ran over my dog, and momma wrecked my truck into my house" style that never really existed, country is among the most varied types of music that is currently popular.

Yhe second kind exists but the thing isn't by any means limited to country music. I mean that's, for example, the gist of the Insane Clown Posse songs "Suicide Hotline" and "Truly Alone"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89824 on: November 12, 2015, 04:36:19 pm »

That's country music?

Motherfuckin magnets, how do they work?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89825 on: November 12, 2015, 05:17:34 pm »

That's country music?

No, I'm saying that the problem is that people think the litany-of-misfortunes-suffered-by-the-protagonist is somehow limited to country music. It occurs plenty often in other genres like rap ("Suicide Hotline", "Truly Alone"), metal ("Lust in Space", "Murderer's Muse", "Poor Ole Tom"), and even pop ("Eleanor Rigby")
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89826 on: November 12, 2015, 05:19:47 pm »

I thought people thought that country was just shit. Because it is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89827 on: November 12, 2015, 05:21:54 pm »

just like rap and pop, right

it's inconceivable that people could like things i don't like
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89828 on: November 12, 2015, 05:24:55 pm »

Your criticism might make sense if I'd brought it up. But Reelya did, with LS and Bo complaining about how people don't like country.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89829 on: November 12, 2015, 05:25:09 pm »

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6130321/1/Jesus-and-Hitler-A-Romance

What the fuck. Seriously, what the fuck. I have no words. I... I just....

What the fuck. I'm an atheist and I am sure I am just as terrified as the Pope would be.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89830 on: November 12, 2015, 05:26:17 pm »

That's country music?

No, I'm saying that the problem is that people think the litany-of-misfortunes-suffered-by-the-protagonist is somehow limited to country music. It occurs plenty often in other genres like rap ("Suicide Hotline", "Truly Alone"), metal ("Lust in Space", "Murderer's Muse", "Poor Ole Tom"), and even pop ("Eleanor Rigby")
The Beatles?  Pop?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #89831 on: November 12, 2015, 05:27:19 pm »

just like rap and pop, right

it's inconceivable that people could like things i don't like

Yea. I really love some country songs - they can be quite touching. Look at Don William's Lord, I Hope this Day is Good. That's just for me - for you, I'm sure there is something. I get the impression you never looked.

Your criticism might make sense if I'd brought it up. But Reelya did, with LS and Bo complaining about how people don't like country.
No, complaining about people stereotyping country.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89832 on: November 12, 2015, 05:33:32 pm »

what?

i mean i'm a lazy fuck so maybe i missed it, but i didn't see anybody else declaring that the genre was shit

unless you mean to say that a topic being broached by somebody else automatically substantiates literally any opinion you happen to have on the matter, i'm kind of missing the logic

this could be because i am a moron, but it would be nice to have it spelled out for me
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89833 on: November 12, 2015, 05:33:42 pm »

Probably my favorite Atheist in fiction (where being Atheist was a plot point) is probably the Father from Hellboy

In that he doesn't believe in divinity but he isn't such a colossal moron as to deny the role faith plays in the setting nor look down upon people who are of faith.

He lacks the sort of pompous attitude and absolute denial that atheists have whenever they are brought up in fiction, as well the setting doesn't bend itself backwards to prove him right. SURE the Priest falls to evil but it was literally because his faith wasn't strong enough, not because priests are amoral hypocrites like in Kingdom of Heaven.

Now my favorite Faith-full character... hmmm that is tough because frankly most priests tend to either be book beaters, evil, or evil hypocrites with very few outside of that...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #89834 on: November 12, 2015, 05:43:39 pm »

CLOUD CONFIRMED FOR SMASH DLC
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 5987 5988 [5989] 5990 5991 ... 11040