Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5952 5953 [5954] 5955 5956 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14466725 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89295 on: November 04, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »

The general idea is if you fail the midterm, you should consider dropping the course.
Though by this point in the semester, I believe many universities will leave it on your transcript as an F. So it's more a signal that no matter what you do, you're fucked.

Unless I'm misremembering something, or the local universities are particularly dumb.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89296 on: November 04, 2015, 04:01:08 pm »

Depends on the college.  Mine would give a mark of WP or WF if you withdrew halfway through. (Withdrawl, Passing and Withdrawl, Failing)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89297 on: November 04, 2015, 04:04:36 pm »

It all depends why you're failing. Is it because you're working hard but you still suck? Then you're probably fucked.

Or is it because you're talented but lazy, like me? xD Then, it's a wake-up call to get off yer ass. It's only the dumb schmucks who can't turn around a poor midterm result. If you have two semesters per year, the midterms gives you at least another 2-3 months to turn things around. Only a true moron could fuck that up, and that's probably the way things should be since we really don't want morons passing through college courses as the default.

One of my lecturers said as much to us in class: you have two people getting the same marks. One works hard, and the other one is lazy. Who do you hire? Well, the lazy one! Because clearly when they get off their ass they're going to be way better than the hard-worker.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:10:08 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89298 on: November 04, 2015, 04:08:42 pm »

Tongue-in-cheek mockery aside, there is a grain of truth there: your midterm grade is supposed to either say, "Okay, keep doing what you're doing," or put a boot in your ass to work harder.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89299 on: November 04, 2015, 06:11:49 pm »

Ugh, trying to recertify my food stamp benefits online - benefits that the last time I heard about, my mother was telling a complete stranger that they were apparently canceled. Problem is, I need my NYS benefits card, something in my parents' possession(that generally they refuse to return). And I do not have time to print out the information I need to file in the mail.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89300 on: November 04, 2015, 06:13:58 pm »

I know you haven't got much money, but have you considered getting a PO box or something so that they can't do things like snatch cards like this out of the mail?

EDIT: Not trying to cast blame or anything, it just seems like this sort of thing happens to you a lot.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89301 on: November 04, 2015, 06:24:24 pm »

I know you haven't got much money, but have you considered getting a PO box or something so that they can't do things like snatch cards like this out of the mail?

EDIT: Not trying to cast blame or anything, it just seems like this sort of thing happens to you a lot.

Well, it's either they snatch it from the mailbox or they demand it on threat of (probably violent) eviction. And while putting them in prison would just great, that would have the unfortunate side effect of leaving me pretty much homeless as it would be a full-on miracle to find housing that my monthly income can afford.

And unrelated, but the IDE-to-SATA adapter I ordered a week ago has been (according to the tracker) sitting in a processing facility in Shenzhen, China for several days now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89302 on: November 04, 2015, 06:38:22 pm »

Long story short...  Google's unnamed voice-search thingamajig keeps getting worse and worse, along with Maps.

"Okay Google"
Search thingy pops up, okay
"Navigate to X"
It correctly identifies all the words, including the local and fairly obscure business name [X].
...  And brings me to a list of Google search results for "navigate to [X]"
Used to be that this would bring up the Navigate app and start navigating ASAP
Then they merged Maps and Navigate, shitted both up a bit, and made it pause for like 10 seconds on a list of possible matches.  Grr, fine, but not what I want when I'm driving.  Still worked, just delayed.
Now it's just literally a google search.  I hit the home button and try again.
"Okay Google"
"Open Navigate"
Silly me, I forgot that Navigate no longer exists.  It does another Google search for "open navigate", which includes a banner of apps... Maps, Navigation Shortcut, and "Waze Social GPS Maps&..."
Fine, I click on the Maps one...
It brings me to the STORE PAGE even though I have Maps installed already, obviously.
Instead of scrounging for the "Open" button, I hit home again.  Kinda distracted.

At this point maybe I'm misremembering, because I thought I tried:
"Okay Google" "Open Maps"
And I coulda sworn it brought me to another Google result where the Maps app's store page was the first option, again.  Argh!
Trying it now though, that does open up the Maps app.  So that's good I guess...  Though then you have to press the tiny microphone icon and speak the actual destination.

This is not something I wanted to deal with last week in heavy traffic!!  Hence why I basically couldn't more than glance at the screen, and ended up just navigating by memory.  Which made me late.

It's mind-boggling because "Navigate home" or "Navigate to X" worked just a couple weeks ago.  And now they just don't!!

Doe anyone know what the new proper words are?  Ugh.
It also blinks constantly because I don't care to stay completely updated on my gmail account, and I'd rather have it constantly blink than have to open it up and swipe away the gmail notification every half hour or so.
And pressing the stupid home button turns on the screen, so it's constantly getting turned on in my pocket unless I place it just right.

Also I hate phone calls but that's not really its fault.

Edit: Well to be fair, turning off Gmail notifications turned out to be easy.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:44:57 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89303 on: November 04, 2015, 06:42:16 pm »

The worst part about it is that I don't want to use it and yet it randomly pops up while I'm using my tablet, stops any music, lags like shit and takes ages to back out of due to aforementioned lag.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89304 on: November 04, 2015, 06:47:37 pm »

"Okay Google"
Search thingy pops up, okay
"Navigate to X"
It correctly identifies all the words, including the local and fairly obscure business name [X].
...  And brings me to a list of Google search results for "navigate to [X]"
Okay, I laughed.

No but really, it's amazing that we're able to complain nowadays about things like that. I still remember dial-up...
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89305 on: November 04, 2015, 06:57:21 pm »

No kidding, I've been living in the future for almost 10 years now?  I remember reading a sci-fi short story where the detective main character was annoyed that the internet signal network wasn't reaching the small town he was investigating, and I was like "haha that's extreme even for sci-fi".
Later I learned about cell phones, then wifi became widespread, then 3G.  why is everything always so wonderful

Except this, this sucks specifically because it USED to work and there's no good reason for it to have stopped.  It's truly a WTF, I assume it still works if I knew the right phrasing.  But it shouldn't stop supporting the old phrasing!!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89306 on: November 04, 2015, 07:02:33 pm »

But it shouldn't stop supporting the old phrasing!!
Welcome to Google, it has done things like that before without any announcement, as I've learned in one of my courses in university.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:11:22 pm by Sergarr »
._.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89307 on: November 04, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »

Google is here to help.

Google understands that although there may be a small period of adjustment to the positive changes that are affected for us, and reminds you that are made for the benefit of everyone on behalf of its users.

Google will notify of changes that are large enough to warrent it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89308 on: November 04, 2015, 07:09:22 pm »

Worst of all...
"Okay Google"  "Thank you" no longer works either.  It used to be the cutest thing.

...  Bewilderingly, it doesn't even do a Google search for "Thank you".  It brings up a list of instructions on what you CAN say.

In fact, apparently I'm supposed to say "Show me how to get to X" now.  For whatever reason.
ffffffffff

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit:  THEY KILLED THIS MOMENT
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42204.msg6384075;topicseen#msg6384075
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:11:15 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89309 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:18 pm »

Maybe it's a stealthy program to benefit mental health (particularly for the elderly)? Regularly having to adjust to new phrasing and access patterns and whatnot is supposed to have something of a positive effect on staving off senility and a number of degenerative cognitive diseases.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5952 5953 [5954] 5955 5956 ... 11037