Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5914 5915 [5916] 5917 5918 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440278 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88725 on: October 28, 2015, 01:25:04 pm »

What the hell, it's been over an hour with the door open, and I still smell burning electronics.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #88726 on: October 28, 2015, 01:27:32 pm »

What the hell, it's been over an hour with the door open, and I still smell burning electronics.
If its your computer, its cooling probably isn't working.

The two main offenders for this are dust, or a lack of fans.  Assuming you started with the correct number of fans, one of them might be broken, or clogged.  Probably clogged with dust.

For a PC, you can take a little can of compressed air, open up the case, and blow all the dust out.  For a laptop, you might want to buy a cooling pad, seeing as how some laptops aren't exactly designed to be taken apart by the user.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88727 on: October 28, 2015, 01:29:18 pm »

It might be a bit beyond an image problem when shit like this goes down.
I guess I just find it strange to behave as though that has anything to do with Tumblr in particular? You get the same basic behavior over Twitter, Facebook, and presumably Reddit. Any medium that gets large enough is going to collect enough sociopaths sufficient to generate the hate machine effect, when it enables targeted conversations like that. The difference between "tits or gtfo" and "This art is highly problematic because of its portrayal of women" or whatever is purely cosmetic, far as I can tell.

The tumblr assholes are worse because in addition to being assholes they're also pretentious and sanctimonious.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88728 on: October 28, 2015, 01:37:27 pm »

Now I'm imagining assholes who aren't like that.
"Screw you!  I am openly jealous and you threaten my self esteem.  I wish you were like me or, better yet, I was like you."

You're right though that they have an echo chamber.  The echo chamber isn't tumblr though, it's their part of tumblr.  Same with 4chan and Reddit.  These sites have areas which become echo chambers, but people assume the sites are that way, at least generally.  But people from the echo chambers shit up *everywhere*, not just the original site.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88729 on: October 28, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »

Its pretty much the same thing everywhere nowadays, its just tumblr was actualy the place that popularized that sort of behavior/phenomenom, IE really insane and hypocritical bedroom activist/stalker behavior and opinion echochambers, altough the earliest manifestation of that kind of stuff I can remember of started on Livejournal communities dedicated specifically to the persecution of anyone who didn't agree with X group on Y issue.

Since then, it has spread to reddit, youtube, facebook, deviantart and twitter. It was also a big thing on myspace. I remember cases of people supposedly being driven to suicide because some group decided X person sucks. I also remember at least one case of a victim's friends creating a "shrine/memorial page" for the dead person on myspace (a rather popular thing at the time, me thinks) and then said agressors continually comming to attack the page.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:41:54 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88730 on: October 28, 2015, 01:38:39 pm »

It might be a bit beyond an image problem when shit like this goes down.
I guess I just find it strange to behave as though that has anything to do with Tumblr in particular? You get the same basic behavior over Twitter, Facebook, and presumably Reddit. Any medium that gets large enough is going to collect enough sociopaths sufficient to generate the hate machine effect, when it enables targeted conversations like that. The difference between "tits or gtfo" and "This art is highly problematic because of its portrayal of women" or whatever is purely cosmetic, far as I can tell.
The tumblr assholes are worse because in addition to being assholes they're also pretentious and sanctimonious.
One of the things I've noticed from too many years shitposting on the internet is that I've seen more people kill themselves as a result of putting too much of their heart in unhealthy ways to unhealthy people in unhealthy communities than I've seen kill themselves because someone told them to. Tumblr, old /b/, facebook; damn.

Its pretty much the same thing everywhere nowadays, its just tumblr was actualy the place that popularized that sort of behavior/phenomenom, IE really insane and hypocritical bedroom activist/stalker behavior and opinion echochambers, altough the earliest manifestation of that kind of stuff I can remember of started on Livejournal communities dedicated specifically to the persecution of anyone who didn't agree with X group on Y issue.
Most people first saw it rise on tumblr, but it was really more a symptom than a cause that also helped steam things onwards to produce more of that symptom.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:40:15 pm by Loud Whispers »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88731 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »

I get what Neo's saying. Like, a blackface minstrel show is a racist caricature, but "wiggers" are practicing cultural appropriation. One is borderline offensive, the other is genuine interest in the trappings of the culture.

So, for example: dressing up as an American Indian with makeup and all, going around beating your mouth to make those "Indian" noises (if you're American, I know you know what I mean), &c.? That's racist. Dressing up in buckskins, moccasins, &c. as a costume? That's cultural appropriation. Same deal with beliefs and such: the rule of thumb is that it's cultural appropriation if there's genuine interest and appreciation for the culture or aspects thereof, and not if there isn't.

Why is it bad for a white person to dress up as a different race but it's ok for other races to dress up as white people? Isn't that a double-standard?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88732 on: October 28, 2015, 01:41:59 pm »

in other news, gasoline prices are going down all over the country because a new source of highly flammable substances has been found!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88733 on: October 28, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »

Why is it bad for a white person to dress up as a different race but it's ok for other races to dress up as white people? Isn't that a double-standard?
Of course it is a double standard, you think this is a definition of logic? No, it is a construction of muh feels

in other news, gasoline prices are going down all over the country because a new source of highly flammable substances has been found!
Don't jynx things into going texas fuego

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88734 on: October 28, 2015, 01:44:50 pm »

One of the things I've noticed from too many years shitposting on the internet is that I've seen more people kill themselves as a result of putting too much of their heart in unhealthy ways to unhealthy people in unhealthy communities than I've seen kill themselves because someone told them to. Tumblr, old /b/, facebook; damn.
Yeah, really.  The people who drove that lady to suicide were terrible, in that their criticism was terrible.  Which is mostly the fault of their echo chamber, and their fault for lazily subscribing to it without freethinking.

But nobody should commit suicide based on what some people online say.  Online friends turning on you is one thing, but a bunch of jerks who decide to inanely criticize you?  Should just be ignored or toyed with.

On the internet, strangers are monsters until proven otherwise.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88735 on: October 28, 2015, 01:45:14 pm »

This has actualy happened to an Indonesian tumblr acquaintance of mine, who is harassed nearly on a daily basis by supposed "antifacists/anarchists", who apparently really really REALLY hate her because she's openly catholic and really loves RAC bands. They even brag about their doxxing attempts on their blogs, and its not like tumblr staff does anything about it, because apparently they consider stalking and harassing a "political discussion". Thankfuly all it did was annoy her, but she had to change her blog multiple times because of it.

But yea, tumblr isn't the source of this stuff, but it was the engine that made this "cool" and "progressive" somehow.

I still remember "daddy doms" IE older guys who keep flirting with younger girls they dont even know online to teach them the wonders of "cummies" and generally being a completely passive BSDM partner with ageplay in the creepiest way possible, under the guise of "omg no kink shaming", even going as far to celebrate simulations of rape and paedophilia.

Anyway, I do agree with Rolan in that shitty people on the internet are no reason to commit suicide, even if they have some really warped idea of how the world should work and basically think their fandom is more important than actual human beings. This is one of the reasons I distanced myself from the homestuck crowd, because more often then not they're way creepier and more toxic than touhou fans, and touhou fans spend a lot of their time looking at underage girl armpits :v!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:52:59 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #88736 on: October 28, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »

Every community has incredibly shitty parts, more news at eleven. At least, every community that's not ridiculously niche (significantly more so than this one) and doesn't require actual ID to sign up for.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88737 on: October 28, 2015, 01:52:00 pm »

It's not just Tumblr. My SO's daughter dropped off Vine because random anonymous people were posting hateful shit for no apparent reason other than because they can.

Sucks too, she had built up a nice little following of a couple thousand people for her vines which were mostly her being a silly 15-year old and/or playing the ukelele.

I'm beginning to wonder if social media is headed for a "comin' to Jesus" moment where either it finds a way to quash out the random meanness, or it dies off. Nobody wants to engage in a forum where random strangers can tell you you're horrible and you should kill yourself, and do so on a daily basis.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88738 on: October 28, 2015, 01:52:17 pm »

Maybe tumblr users are secretly all IS supporters?

Of course they are. Because the Islamic State isn't white.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88739 on: October 28, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »

Yeah, really.  The people who drove that lady to suicide were terrible, in that their criticism was terrible.  Which is mostly the fault of their echo chamber, and their fault for lazily subscribing to it without freethinking.
But nobody should commit suicide based on what some people online say.  Online friends turning on you is one thing, but a bunch of jerks who decide to inanely criticize you?  Should just be ignored or toyed with.
On the internet, strangers are monsters until proven otherwise.
Well if you put too much of your heart on the internet you're not a stranger anymore, you're an open book. By the time you reach that point should you attract the ire of baph, sjws or any face on any of the coins - you're fucked, you can't ignore it because the consequences are then real. I have been much disturbed by the popularity of people deciding they are appropriate arbiters of the consequences people must face for speaking. And that's just the political ones, the ones I was first referring to perhaps have it worse because they're trapped in these communities of their own doing. They crave the attention, the approval, the acceptance - I still remember the hubbub and sadness abound when that one camwhore on old /b/ killed himself. He was popular, there was no hostile campaign against him; but he'd become absorbed into this unhealthy lifestyle where he craved this attention and approval. I remember as well with tumblr the first time I saw a girl kill herself because she had genuinely needed psychiatric help and everyone else was telling her she was beautiful and brave and didn't need it, helping her get rid of well-wishing tumblrites saying she needed help for being "hateful" and "ableist". There are still on youtube videos from a few paranoidal people who you can watch through years of their videos just slide into absolute disrepair because they were convinced the patriarchy was out to get them or neets convinced that there was nothing unhealthy with their lifestyle just because there were people telling them if they were happy with it, it was good.

Maybe tumblr users are secretly all IS supporters?
Of course they are. Because the Islamic State isn't white.
It's sad that this is not a joke.
Pages: 1 ... 5914 5915 [5916] 5917 5918 ... 11040