Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5906 5907 [5908] 5909 5910 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441767 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88605 on: October 27, 2015, 03:47:08 pm »

Yeah, food works in a ridiculous manner right now. Nutritional values - preferrably moddable to a great extent - for food and drink would be a great - and hopefully not too difficult - addition to the game.

Maybe similar values could be added to nightsoil if that is ever added in.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88606 on: October 27, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »

pedit:  Also, dont you know that the world doesnt exist if the main character isn't there to observe it?  they are strong enough, and nobody really gets down and dirty about peasant lives.
... this one actually does give some mention to the non-hero livelihoods, and a fair amount of the world is just kinda' wrecked. Towns are low population or entirely abandoned, people make regular mention of the monsters floating about wherever, etc., etc.

Also rad is not how I'd describe packs of air sharks eating you(r neighbors). These are not the friendly, comparatively peaceful sharks that inhabit real waters. These are infinitely hostile berserker sharks attacking anything human that comes within sight. You can't pet these flying murdersharks unless they're dead, even if they've recently ate.

That would depend on how much you like your neighbours, wouldn't it?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88607 on: October 27, 2015, 03:53:52 pm »

On the topic of Dorf farming; forget making Dwarves inefficient, or increasing crop growth times (though that would be good) or increasing Dorf hunger, why not just add nutritional values for certain foods? In the sense that currently eating a single fisher berry is as filling as eating a dragon steak - this does not make sense, and would also make hunting provide proportionally to farming
That's a good one, yeah. It'd make meals more useful, too, instead of just being a way to make dwarfs happier and use up your massive reserves of random shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88608 on: October 27, 2015, 04:08:24 pm »

The big problem I have with that is that all but one of the sources link to the Daily Mail. The other one links to Facebook.
"A-Z CAUSES OF CANCER ACCORDING TO THE DAILY MAIL..."

Your reading comprehension needs some work.

Well, The Guardian is also running the story. The W.H.O. released a report saying processed meat could be considered a class 1 carcinogen based on it's risk profile. But that just puts it (as noted in the guardian) in the same class as smoking and alcohol, as well as asbestos.

I don't think I've ever heard of alcohol causing cancer. Liver failure, heart failure, memory problems, and occasionally debilitating withdraw symptoms yes, but never cancer.
IIRC people who drink heavily are at increased risk of throat and stomach cancers.
IIRC alcohol-based mouthwash have been linked to mouth cancer too. Such is the price of fresh minty breath.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/mouthwash-linked-to-cancer/story-e6freuzi-1111118530255
But the effects of mouthwash were worst in smokers, who had a nine-fold increased risk of cancers of the oral cavity, pharynx and larynx.
So, not just a small effect, a pretty damning one, especially since smokers are more likely to need the stuff. Alcohol drinkers have a small risk increase, but those who use the mouthwash daily are 4 times more likely to get the cancers if they don't drink, 5 times as likely if they do drink. So swishing the mouthwash around is almost the entire risk and much more than actually drinking.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:15:55 pm by Reelya »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88609 on: October 27, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »

As easy as it is to sustain a fort with farming, it's not even necessary to farm or gather at all to comfortably sustain a large fort. You can build a viable fort with 150+ population that imports all of its food, and not only that, but pay for this food by exporting nothing but cooked meals (strange as that sounds, cooked food values happen to be absurdly high). If it is a problem, it's one that goes further than production and nutrition, and would need to include changes to trade and consumption as well. Personally though, I've never been convinced it is much of an issue, or that the game would be improved by an overhaul of the food systems.

Strange to see so much DF here. If this is still about Putnam's modding, I'd suggest to stick to whatever you find interesting, even if only for yourself. At least in my experience, sustaining motivation for mods or other projects that have no personal attraction but are more likely to be popular is difficult and unrewarding (or at least, not rewarding in the same way as a more personal mod).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:16:45 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88610 on: October 27, 2015, 04:39:36 pm »

IDK, I feel like a more in-depth food system would be fun. There's currently little reason to have more than one 10*10 field of plump helmets and one 10*10 field of pig tails and a still, and then you just forget about them forever.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88611 on: October 27, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »

IDK, I feel like a more in-depth food system would be fun. There's currently little reason to have more than one 10*10 field of plump helmets and one 10*10 field of pig tails and a still, and then you just forget about them forever.

If the swarves eat and drink the same thing over and over, then they get bad thoughts l.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88612 on: October 27, 2015, 04:55:39 pm »

If the dwarves eat and drink the same thing over and over, then they get bad thoughts.
Maybe increase the bad thoughts and have actual civil unrest from eating plump helmets all the time. It would be nice, if, like parties, there were occasional protest events about specific fort-wide stuff. Also, Dwarves could develop likes and dislikes over time. e.g. if everyone eats plump helmets all the time, a large percentage of your fort become adverse to the stuff.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88613 on: October 27, 2015, 04:58:21 pm »

If the dwarves eat and drink the same thing over and over, then they get bad thoughts.
Maybe increase the bad thoughts and have actual civil unrest from eating plump helmets all the time. It would be nice, if, like parties, there were occasional protest events about specific fort-wide stuff. Also, Dwarves could develop likes and dislikes over time. e.g. if everyone eats plump helmets all the time, a large percentage of your fort become adverse to the stuff.
Someone suggested a sort of monotony/novelty system for jobs and such somewhere.
Maybe make one for foods?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88614 on: October 27, 2015, 05:03:40 pm »

Having another Great DayTM. I get to work, and my cough for the past few days begins to worsen immediately. Meanwhile, one thing the store manager says while lamenting Saturday's poor production numbers is the he doesn't care if you're sick, get your ass out of bed and come to work; we'll give you a mask so that you don't infect everyone else.

I try to forge ahead, despite being sick almost to the point of incapacitation. During this, two idiots are horsing around, one of them pushes the other into me, and my reaction to this is pretty much the only thing the production manager picks up on. He also seemed to think that my being sick doesn't really matter in this situation.

Finally get home, and I find the >$500's worth of computer hardware I ordered yesterday has already arrived. Ordinarily a cause to jump for joy, a quick inspection of the delivery box reveals signs of it having been simply flung over the gate by the deliverymen. Inspection of the contents shows no obvious damage, and I feel that's more due to the manufacturers and packagers of said contents and not the shippers. I'll have to assemble it all tomorrow to see if that's the case.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88615 on: October 27, 2015, 05:09:53 pm »

Strange to see so much DF here. If this is still about Putnam's modding, I'd suggest to stick to whatever you find interesting, even if only for yourself. At least in my experience, sustaining motivation for mods or other projects that have no personal attraction but are more likely to be popular is difficult and unrewarding (or at least, not rewarding in the same way as a more personal mod).

lol i don't think "mod based entirely around non-violence" would be too popular

I wanna make it because I realized that every damn mod is based almost entirely around violence and the main complaint that people have about DF right now is the lack of violence and I realized "wow people are kinda obsessed with violence"

but i'm beginning to realize that that's because DF fails to make anything else interesting

wait

WAIT FUCK I CAN FORCE GAME OVERS BASED ON ANY ARBITRARY CONDITION

HOLY SHIT DUH

(i just remembered my implementation of SCP-447 a while back; the game would auto-game-over if any of its slime got on a dead body)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88616 on: October 27, 2015, 05:20:09 pm »

Pacifist Fort: Extreme Edition.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88617 on: October 27, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »

You can get a better handle when you break it down as "the game lacks conflict and tension". "Violence" is just player shorthard for this. But tension doesn't have to be violent. You could build a mod around having to make binary choices. e.g. could you make a thing where if you build one building you lose the ability to build another one? If so, you could create mods where you need to choose development paths and some options get closed off to you based on your choices. That creates tension for the player since the have to weigh the costs vs benefits. This gives a more dynamic type of game than the ones where you can just accumulate "one of each" thing, and vastly increases replayability, since you can try new combos in later games.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:25:08 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88618 on: October 27, 2015, 05:27:05 pm »

I guess it might be like Banished.  No violence, and the mechanics seem straightforward enough, but suddenly there's a bad winter and people start starving in the cold.  ...Often on long unimportant treks into the wilderness while there's food and firewood in storage, which is pretty dorfy.
(Haven't played in a while, maybe the AI is better now)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #88619 on: October 27, 2015, 05:30:58 pm »

So not only did the EU screw us over on net neutrality today, but the US Senate passed the CISA-bill 74-21.

WTF.

Internet Black Tuesday.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 5906 5907 [5908] 5909 5910 ... 11040