Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5905 5906 [5907] 5908 5909 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443255 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88590 on: October 27, 2015, 11:54:06 am »

It would smell really good though.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88591 on: October 27, 2015, 12:05:28 pm »

The big problem I have with that is that all but one of the sources link to the Daily Mail. The other one links to Facebook.
"A-Z CAUSES OF CANCER ACCORDING TO THE DAILY MAIL..."

Your reading comprehension needs some work.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88592 on: October 27, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »

Ok so what is it called when a piece of art like a movie, TVshow, or videogame... is all message/twist but no substance?

Like a game where you have to chase down your pet turtle without context and at the end of the game it turns out the turtle was trying to get away from you...

The game is ultimately vapid. It doesn't really explore its themes of obsession or the mindset of someone who could convince themselves that they are doing the right thing even when the blatantly obvious is staring them in the face. Nor does its use of imagry and symbolism dress the message. Rather it tries to get you into a position where you want to do something, then slaps your hand and goes "See! now you are a crazy stalker too!"

It is kind of why I will always hold "The Void" as the gold standard of "Art game" because every single part of the game was hand tailored towards the themes and concepts the game has, even when you think you are reading too deep (Say, thinking that maybe the colors themselves have a significance) the game outright rewards you for it.

Yet it isn't the only art game I ever felt was of value. There was a very short flash game just about a long distance relationship and you can sort of make it work or don't. Yet the point of it is that in the end the completely separate experiences created distance between you two.

There are games with themes that it explores but have just dreadful metaphors. "Ohh my a game where I play a kid... and I can only go in one direction and the more to the right I go, the older I get..." which I guess the issue is, there REALLY isn't anything to take from JUST a metaphor. In the Void you can take "Color" from veins and that certainly was a metaphor, but it had substance behind it especially with how it related to the overall experience.

I guess it is to say... Metaphor without substance is shallow, it is just an overly elaborate political cartoon. The weight people see are just what they attribute to your work, not its inherent value.

---

I think I want to play another good art game... or watch a bunch of really hilariously bad art games.

This probably warrants copying th the Gaming Pet Peeves thread
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88593 on: October 27, 2015, 12:17:51 pm »

The big problem I have with that is that all but one of the sources link to the Daily Mail. The other one links to Facebook.

Well, The Guardian is also running the story. The W.H.O. released a report saying processed meat could be considered a class 1 carcinogen based on it's risk profile. But that just puts it (as noted in the guardian) in the same class as smoking and alcohol, as well as asbestos. It does not mean it's, specifically, "just as bad as asbestos", which is misleading since you're neglecting to mention all the other things it's now classed with, because "just as bad as asbestos" gets more headlines.

Actually, I read a while ago about bowel cancer risk vs. diet. Red meat eaters get more bowel cancers than vegetarians, which is what we're generally informed about. Normally that's all they tell you, so they're pushing vegetarianism and by extension, veganism, which is clearly a doubleplusgood version of vegetarinism, right?

Unfortunately for that narrative, vegans suffer more bowel cancers than vegetarians. So keep eating milk and eggs people. Additionally, people who eat fish (pescetarian) get significantly less bowel cancer than vegetarians do. The heirachy vs red meat is: vegan 16% less cancer risk, vegetarian: 18% less cancer risk, pescetarian 43% less cancer risk.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:27:33 pm by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88594 on: October 27, 2015, 12:26:35 pm »

Well, The Guardian is also running the story. The W.H.O. released a report saying processed meat could be considered a class 1 carcinogen based on it's risk profile. But that just puts it (as noted in the guardian) in the same class as smoking and alcohol, as well as asbestos.

I don't think I've ever heard of alcohol causing cancer. Liver failure, heart failure, memory problems, and occasionally debilitating withdraw symptoms yes, but never cancer.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88595 on: October 27, 2015, 12:27:56 pm »

Class 1 carcinogens are just things that have been confirmed to cause a measurable statistical incidence of cancer.

It does not relate how significant the increase is, merely that the studies have found a very likely link to it.

It also lists red meat on the list. 

Also alcohol causes cirrhosis, which causes cellular damage, which causes cancer. Also the aldehydes produced during alcohol metabolism are considered significantly carcinogenic.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88596 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:12 pm »

[snip]
Why are you replying to me? I'm just saying Dutrius didn't get the joke about Daily Mail always yelling about cancer. I didn't even realize y'all were talking about the processed meat thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #88597 on: October 27, 2015, 12:59:04 pm »

[snip]
Why are you replying to me? I'm just saying Dutrius didn't get the joke about Daily Mail always yelling about cancer. I didn't even realize y'all were talking about the processed meat thing.

I actually didn't read the top of the link. i just went straight to the list.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88598 on: October 27, 2015, 02:02:22 pm »

What kind of sad existence is one on a world populated by roaming shoals of giant spiky flying sharks? I get that RPG games are all basically set on deathworlds, but to live in a place where air-born sharks five or six times the size of an average human doesn't even draw comment is, just...

Eclipse of Illusion, in this case, if someone was actually curious. A fairly alright jrpg from what I've seen so far. Just... some of the enemies...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88599 on: October 27, 2015, 02:07:42 pm »

What kind of sad existence is one on a world populated by roaming shoals of giant spiky flying sharks? I get that RPG games are all basically set on deathworlds, but to live in a place where air-born sharks five or six times the size of an average human doesn't even draw comment is, just...
Sounds pretty fucking rad, actually.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88600 on: October 27, 2015, 02:16:12 pm »

In a world where the laws of physics don't apply or are altered by ✧ (ノ ◕Д◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Magic ✧・゚✧ or souls or technology you may as well, because your suspension of disbelief is strong.

pedit:  Also, dont you know that the world doesnt exist if the main character isn't there to observe it?  they are strong enough, and nobody really gets down and dirty about peasant lives.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:21:24 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88601 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »

pedit:  Also, dont you know that the world doesnt exist if the main character isn't there to observe it?  they are strong enough, and nobody really gets down and dirty about peasant lives.
... this one actually does give some mention to the non-hero livelihoods, and a fair amount of the world is just kinda' wrecked. Towns are low population or entirely abandoned, people make regular mention of the monsters floating about wherever, etc., etc.

Also rad is not how I'd describe packs of air sharks eating you(r neighbors). These are not the friendly, comparatively peaceful sharks that inhabit real waters. These are infinitely hostile berserker sharks attacking anything human that comes within sight. You can't pet these flying murdersharks unless they're dead, even if they've recently ate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88602 on: October 27, 2015, 03:39:27 pm »

If you want a real DF equivalent to feudal subsistence farming, it would probably be stone smoothing. Absolutely necessary, and so labor-intensive that even 95% of the population working together can't get it done fast enough. :P
so what if a mod was made that removed engravings and smoothing over time?
That's how you drive the entire population berserk (at least once they've started making masterwork engravings).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88603 on: October 27, 2015, 03:42:52 pm »

On the topic of Dorf farming; forget making Dwarves inefficient, or increasing crop growth times (though that would be good) or increasing Dorf hunger, why not just add nutritional values for certain foods? In the sense that currently eating a single fisher berry is as filling as eating a dragon steak - this does not make sense, and would also make hunting provide proportionally to farming

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88604 on: October 27, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »

Forget fisher berries.  Dwarves fill up on tasty prepared ant brains.
Pages: 1 ... 5905 5906 [5907] 5908 5909 ... 11040