Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5904 5905 [5906] 5907 5908 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443277 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88575 on: October 27, 2015, 02:58:20 am »

Mostly games like say... Minecraft... and the league of minecraft clones.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88576 on: October 27, 2015, 03:02:03 am »

Mostly games like say... Minecraft... and the league of minecraft clones.
They're called dogs. You hire them with bones.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #88577 on: October 27, 2015, 03:03:00 am »

That's all ignoring how farming in DF laughs in the face of conservation of energy.  Photosynthesis?  What photosynthesis?
Chemosynthesis, friend. How else do you think there can be any life in completely dark caverns and ocean depths?

Of course, it still doesn't make sense that one doesn't need to constantly fertilize an underground field in DF. Clearly, the soil has an infinite amount of nutrients for the crops to draw from, with any fertilizer only working as a catalyst.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88578 on: October 27, 2015, 04:05:48 am »

Ok so what is it called when a piece of art like a movie, TVshow, or videogame... is all message/twist but no substance?

Like a game where you have to chase down your pet turtle without context and at the end of the game it turns out the turtle was trying to get away from you...

The game is ultimately vapid. It doesn't really explore its themes of obsession or the mindset of someone who could convince themselves that they are doing the right thing even when the blatantly obvious is staring them in the face. Nor does its use of imagry and symbolism dress the message. Rather it tries to get you into a position where you want to do something, then slaps your hand and goes "See! now you are a crazy stalker too!"

It is kind of why I will always hold "The Void" as the gold standard of "Art game" because every single part of the game was hand tailored towards the themes and concepts the game has, even when you think you are reading too deep (Say, thinking that maybe the colors themselves have a significance) the game outright rewards you for it.

Yet it isn't the only art game I ever felt was of value. There was a very short flash game just about a long distance relationship and you can sort of make it work or don't. Yet the point of it is that in the end the completely separate experiences created distance between you two.

There are games with themes that it explores but have just dreadful metaphors. "Ohh my a game where I play a kid... and I can only go in one direction and the more to the right I go, the older I get..." which I guess the issue is, there REALLY isn't anything to take from JUST a metaphor. In the Void you can take "Color" from veins and that certainly was a metaphor, but it had substance behind it especially with how it related to the overall experience.

I guess it is to say... Metaphor without substance is shallow, it is just an overly elaborate political cartoon. The weight people see are just what they attribute to your work, not its inherent value.

---

I think I want to play another good art game... or watch a bunch of really hilariously bad art games.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #88579 on: October 27, 2015, 04:07:43 am »

Ok so what is it called when a piece of art like a movie, TVshow, or videogame... is all message/twist but no substance?
Crap.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #88580 on: October 27, 2015, 04:33:17 am »

It's the equivalent of splattering paint on a canvas and calling it abstract art. You're expected to analyze and interpret it on your own, thus reducing the artist's workload in giving the work a meaning. Kind of lazy if you ask me, but I understand that some people can come up with an interpretation...and then get pretentious as other people come up with a "wrong" interpretation. Of course they do, if the artist didn't bother with a correct one!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:35:25 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88581 on: October 27, 2015, 06:56:47 am »

Most of my suburb seems to smell of rancid meat for some reason.
Or perhaps I just caught a whiff of my own rotten mood as I went for a walk...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88582 on: October 27, 2015, 07:34:54 am »

If you want a real DF equivalent to feudal subsistence farming, it would probably be stone smoothing. Absolutely necessary, and so labor-intensive that even 95% of the population working together can't get it done fast enough. :P
so what if a mod was made that removed engravings and smoothing over time?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #88583 on: October 27, 2015, 10:44:34 am »

Crap.
M. Night Shyamalan? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88584 on: October 27, 2015, 10:45:55 am »

Crap.
M. Night Shyamalan? :P
Isn't that what he said? (Ohhh sick burn).

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88585 on: October 27, 2015, 11:38:44 am »

It's the equivalent of splattering paint on a canvas and calling it abstract art.

It is art though. The important question is just whether it belongs in a museum or on somebody's refridgerator
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88586 on: October 27, 2015, 11:44:23 am »

Everything could be considered  art.

Too vague too opinionated too social.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88587 on: October 27, 2015, 11:46:23 am »

Literally everything can be considered art nowadays. Artistic value is mostly subjective at first, anyway.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #88588 on: October 27, 2015, 11:49:59 am »

Apparently bacon and other processed meats are now considered cancer-causing agents, according to a few news sources. My local news said it is worse than eating asbestos.
Doesn't everything get labelled as one with enough studies? Not sure if they're actually serious.
...Aaaaand xkcd.

Add it to the list, along with children, childlessness, being a man, and being a woman.

You may as well just replace the post with a single word: "Everything."

The big problem I have with that is that all but one of the sources link to the Daily Mail. The other one links to Facebook.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #88589 on: October 27, 2015, 11:52:54 am »

I mean, the problem with asbestos isn't that you eat it. I can certainly imagine that inhaling finely-ground bacon bits into your lungs for years on end is probably worse for you than living in a house with asbestos insulation, however...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 5904 5905 [5906] 5907 5908 ... 11040