Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5899 5900 [5901] 5902 5903 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449138 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88500 on: October 26, 2015, 07:45:19 am »

most surveilence cameras use the 2.4 ghz band though. (It's a well known problem with consumer grade cctv camera feeds stomping all over the 2.4ghz spectrum, destroying wifi viability.) I could see a microwave uplink point to point connection maybe doing this, but consumer grade shit?  no. Not unless thier radar is so poorly designed that it gets constructive interference patterns from higher frequency sources nearby. In which case, it needs a band filter installed. problem solved.

I will look for a better source.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88501 on: October 26, 2015, 08:03:11 am »

Ok, older news.
www.technologyreview.com/view/527231/algorithm-fixes-weather-radar-images-distorted-by-wi-fi/

NOT paywalled.  Specifically calls out 5ghz radios.  AND there is a fix already.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88502 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:44 am »

This may be years of living with pretty much no money whatsoever for things like food an all, but for some reason, I'm having trouble spending money. For the moment, I actually have money to spend, but I just can't.

Right now, I'm looking at several upgrades for my computer, coming up to a little more than $500. Would have been more, but I had to take a new monitor and hard drive off - monitors are more expensive than anticipated, and my hard drive can survive until next paycheck. This won't break the bank for me, but I can't really push myself to actually order it.

It's not big purchases, either. I make sure that Steam does not save my card information, partially because this forces me to manually input it, creating a barrier to a purchase I may or may not really want.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88503 on: October 26, 2015, 09:10:56 am »

So on most trackpads, a tap with one finger is a left click and tapping with two fingers is a right click, right? I just discovered that my computer recognizes three-fnger taps (opens the Search menu) and four-finger taps (opens the Action Center).
Really??
...  Aw, doesn't work on my aging laptop.  I can only left-click (and double click).  Using more fingers just gets the input ignored.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88504 on: October 26, 2015, 10:51:12 am »

I saw a slightly weathered posterboard on a sidestreet  downtown for a 'LycanMobile' today.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #88505 on: October 26, 2015, 10:53:18 am »

I saw a slightly weathered posterboard on a sidestreet  downtown for a 'LycanMobile' today.

Furries and tweens are quite the market.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88506 on: October 26, 2015, 12:37:59 pm »

So in the Nitpick thread there is an argument and I won't really touch upon it because frankly the argument itself isn't really what is getting the WTF here

But rather a long time ago what often bugged me about Sci-fi is that earth has so many cultures and denominations but aliens almost always had exactly one culture and one way of life.

Then I saw more and more people who agreed with this general peeve of mine, yet now I am seeing the exact opposite. That Alien species MUST (unless they are the Borg) have multiple cultures, must have wanderlust, must have vastly differing personalities.

Which to me is the extreme on the other end, to assume human traits onto an alien species. Heck one of my favorite alien races came from a videogame and it was an entire race which was ONE person being cloned endlessly.

Another came from Buck Rogers where everyone wore a mask on this planet with ornate designs so they can tell each other apart... Why? Because they all look exactly alike.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88507 on: October 26, 2015, 12:46:25 pm »

Heck one of my favorite alien races came from a videogame and it was an entire race which was ONE person being cloned endlessly.

The Horatio?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88508 on: October 26, 2015, 12:48:18 pm »

The Androsynth back story was a chilling surprise.  Made me hate the Orz, even though weren't involved in that part.  SC2 had surprisingly grey morality in places, despite its cartoonish appearance...  The Ur-Quan especially.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88509 on: October 26, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »

Heck one of my favorite alien races came from a videogame and it was an entire race which was ONE person being cloned endlessly.

The Horatio?

Yep, LOVE THEM!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88510 on: October 26, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »

There is nothing more beautiful than Horatio. Any Horatio would agree.
I love how the intro-clip for them stumbles over how to address the Horatio properly.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88511 on: October 26, 2015, 12:54:57 pm »

Ah dang, I guessed wrong :P
Turns out the game creators didn't actually intend the Androsynth to be a single strain anyway.  Which was unclear because they didn't appear in SC2, just their ruins.  So there might have been female ones even.

They were canonically gay and infertile, though, to keep them from ever rebelling.  Fortunately they were super geniuses...
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88512 on: October 26, 2015, 01:24:36 pm »

Ahh yes the most easily controlled and manipulated specie in all the Galaxy!

Gay People!

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #88513 on: October 26, 2015, 01:30:12 pm »

My Skype's broken. It won't even get to the log in part.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88514 on: October 26, 2015, 01:38:25 pm »

Every other day here at the office some technician shows up because he needs to fix the copy machine.  I wonder if that's code for something.
Pages: 1 ... 5899 5900 [5901] 5902 5903 ... 11040