Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5896 5897 [5898] 5899 5900 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453665 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88455 on: October 25, 2015, 05:03:10 pm »

Heh. That's why I love literature essays. I can usually fudge my way through them with sesquipedalian loquaciousness and by repeatedly milking a couple of "super symbolic" lines for material.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:04:51 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88456 on: October 25, 2015, 05:04:02 pm »

Weird thing is, I didn't like it at first, but having to read the book over and over for my papers in english class made me eventually grow to absolutely love it.

It doesn't help that school is absolutely hell bent at making you hate books at all costs!

Between having idiotic topics "Who is the main character of this book" (ohh my... two main characters? UNHEARD OF!), Insanely stupid descriptions of books, and just flat out overanalyzing of books to the point where you could look at a sentence and probably pull out the bible.
Aaaaargh this much this.
Heh. That's why I love literature essays. I can usually fudge my way through them with sesquipedalian loquaciousness and by repeatedly milking a couple of "super symbolic" lines for material.
And I cope with marked verbosity.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #88457 on: October 25, 2015, 05:05:43 pm »

Weird thing is, I didn't like it at first, but having to read the book over and over for my papers in english class made me eventually grow to absolutely love it.

It doesn't help that school is absolutely hell bent at making you hate books at all costs!

Between having idiotic topics "Who is the main character of this book" (ohh my... two main characters? UNHEARD OF!), Insanely stupid descriptions of books, and just flat out overanalyzing of books to the point where you could look at a sentence and probably pull out the bible.
Well. Irish school seems fairly different to... Whatever school you went to. Canadian, I think? I may vaguely remember some mention of you living in Canada but I could be wrong.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #88458 on: October 25, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »

It also depends heavily on a teacher. Like, my sister had one who basically encouraged them to write whatever they thought about the book and discuss it, even tho it sometimes turned to taking the piss by the students.

I on the other hand had a completely ridgid angry little blonde wig dwarf who insisted that there was only one interpretation of any given work, mostly ones she'd read somewhere by some highly educated folks. To go against this was to call bad grades upon yourself. Meanwhile the most trite and literal interpretations would pass with flying colours, so long as she could find them similar or same to her own views on the matter.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88459 on: October 25, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »

Yea. In a lot of my poetry analysis, the teacher simply wrote beside some of my assertions "wrong."

I mean, it was my interpretation of a very interpretative text. How could I be wrong?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #88460 on: October 25, 2015, 05:18:15 pm »

Yea. In a lot of my poetry analysis, the teacher simply wrote beside some of my assertions "wrong."

I mean, it was my interpretation of a very interpretative text. How could I be wrong?

It didn't match the grading criteria.

Edit: meant to add some nonsense about a relative act not matching an absolute (as in right or wrong) grading method, but forgot. Well done me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:20:45 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #88461 on: October 25, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

Heh.
Say what you will about my previous English teacher(and many of my classmates would no doubt say many... unflattering things right now) he at least let us interpret things, to a point. Would ask us why we thought that and whatnot and he'd acknowledge that both(or possibly more) interpretations were 'right' provided we could prove so with bits of the text and what they seemed to imply.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88462 on: October 25, 2015, 05:27:42 pm »

Edit: meant to add some nonsense about a relative act not matching an absolute (as in right or wrong) grading method, but forgot. Well done me.
Your original answer was much more in spirit with the problematic judgments.
;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88463 on: October 25, 2015, 05:32:00 pm »

Sorry, I kant follow you.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #88464 on: October 25, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »

Your original answer was much more in spirit with the problematic judgments.
;P

I was just going to leave it, but it felt more pedantic than I meant it to be, rather than a dry comment about poor teachers/the problem with English classes in general.

I utterly loathed English classes when I was at school. I went from quite happily reading a great deal of things as a child to not really reading anything for fun during my five years in secondary school.

Now I annoy my wife by insisting on physical copies of books instead of investing in an e-reader :))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88465 on: October 25, 2015, 05:43:21 pm »

I never had too much trouble in English. One of my best classes throughout grade school.

Interpretive questions with only one right answer have always been bullshit though. My marketing class in college had a lot of those, among other issues I had with the class and the teacher. Especially once Maslow's Hierarchy was introduced. Every answer was self-actualized.

What are tornado-proof, extra durable shingles? Security as you are investing in property protection? NO! It's self-actualized, because they are expensive, and only self-actualized people have spare money. Party goods advertised as helping you strengthen friendships? Reaffirming the need for love and belonging? No! Self-actualized, as those who buy party goods already have friends, while those who need to strengthen their need for love and belonging have no friends.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88466 on: October 25, 2015, 05:46:44 pm »

Not buying the cheapest food in the store = self-actualization?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88467 on: October 25, 2015, 05:52:02 pm »

Honestly I am half tempted to write an essay on "Cado's Journey" that Threetoe made... in 'Highschool English class' style.

So I'd be talking about how impossibly deep the story is and how outstretching universal its themes are.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88468 on: October 25, 2015, 05:54:40 pm »

You're missing other dumb questions, like 'what is the main character' :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88469 on: October 25, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »

You're missing other dumb questions, like 'what is the main character' :P

What is odd is after having a lot more experience with fiction since highschool I can definitively say that

Who the main character of a story 'doesn't matter'... the main character is simply the character who has the most attention put on them or who has the plot center on them.

It doesn't serve critical analysis to actually know who the main character is... so long as you understand the relationship each character has with the plot. In fact it is better to think of everyone as the main character of their own isolated stories within a piece of fiction.
Pages: 1 ... 5896 5897 [5898] 5899 5900 ... 11040