Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5888 5889 [5890] 5891 5892 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460105 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88335 on: October 23, 2015, 11:49:10 am »

Star Citizen has announced that it's 1st person shooter module will have permadeath.
Should be fun.
Star Citizen will suffer permadeath first.
It hasn't already?
It'll probably run into Duke nukem forever territory before it actually dies.
Wait what?  You had how much money?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:13:20 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88336 on: October 23, 2015, 01:10:07 pm »

Why is my workplace air conditioning always on.  ??? Its fall, we don't need it more cold anymore.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88337 on: October 23, 2015, 01:11:33 pm »

Why is my workplace air conditioning always on.  ??? Its fall, we don't need it more cold anymore.

Building managers like to remind people just who is in charge.  It's an ego trip thing.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88338 on: October 23, 2015, 01:14:49 pm »

Because patriarchy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:37:11 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #88339 on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:01 pm »

Because patriarchy.
fixed.

I can't tell if this is satire or not. I hope it's satire.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #88340 on: October 23, 2015, 01:34:04 pm »

Don't know about the article, but the science is genuine.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88341 on: October 23, 2015, 01:36:55 pm »

We-eel. Lines to be drawn between sexism and gendered inconsideracy, I guess.

Whether or not female officer workers are colder, I can't tell, never having been either, which I guess is the decider.

Who actually decides the temperatures in offices? I have no idea.
One wheel short of a wagon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88342 on: October 23, 2015, 01:37:55 pm »

Because patriarchy.
fixed.

I can't tell if this is satire or not. I hope it's satire.

It's filed in "women's life." I think this may actually been written in seriousness.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #88343 on: October 23, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »

It's filed in "women's life." I think this may actually been written in seriousness.
"Daily temperature war" and "air conditioning hell" just sound silly.

We've gotten to the point of feminism where seriousness looks like absurd satire. What a world.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88344 on: October 23, 2015, 01:44:13 pm »

We must turn up the temperature in women's booths. 100 degrees should do it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88345 on: October 23, 2015, 01:44:27 pm »

This paper that I'm reading for my communication class reads exactly like a parody of such papers. Half of any given page is citations, and the other half is really long-winded technobabble descriptions of things that could be said much simpler. It's not anything that needs heavy scientific language for any reason, but it seems intentionally written to conceal the underlying lesson.

Are teaching materials written like this so that educators feel like they're getting their money's worth?

That reminds me of the mythbusters episode where they were testing mind-control myths and one of the myths that had been sent in involved something like "aggression induced by light flashes at half-hertz frequency" or something like that, and some time after I saw the episode I realized that the mythbusters had completely overthought this, because translated from technobabble to normal speech this just means "If you shine a light in someone's face every two seconds it's going to piss them off"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88346 on: October 23, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »

I always thought it was a male bravado thing, or due to guy clothes having more coverage.  Guess there's even more to it than that.  That sucks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88347 on: October 23, 2015, 01:57:54 pm »

"Daily temperature war" and "air conditioning hell" just sound silly.

We've gotten to the point of feminism where seriousness looks like absurd satire. What a world.

I think the best argument against the idea to heat up offices so that women can wear a t-shirt and skirt comfortably is in the comments: Someone who is cold can add a layer, but someone who is hot cannot remove a layer. They need external cooling.

So you raise the temp, so that women can wear light clothing. Now, the men will be overheating, according to the science. They're already wearing shirts with rolled-up sleeves according to the article. So unless you want dudes sitting around in their jocks, you've now got a room full of sweaty armpit dudes. Which is clearly a sexist conspiracy to drive the women out because of the man-stink.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:59:53 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88348 on: October 23, 2015, 02:00:18 pm »

I always thought it was a male bravado thing, or due to guy clothes having more coverage.  Guess there's even more to it than that.  That sucks.
Clothes and blokes being bigger with more fat and muscle
You should probably also adjust for acclimatization, since unless you're some sort of billionaire world hopper you're comfortable either in arctic, cold, temperate, warm, tropical or hellish saharan conditions.
One of the funniest things I've ever learned in my life was finding out that when Charlemagne was converting the conquered Germanics to Christianity, one of the greatest difficulties in teaching the Germanics was the concept of hell - they saw hell as freezing cold because they had difficulty imagining it as scorching.

I think the best argument against the idea to heat up offices so that women can wear a t-shirt and skirt comfortably is in the comments: Now, the men will be overheating, according to the science. They're already wearing shirts with rolled-up sleeves according to the article. So unless you want dudes sitting around in their jocks, you've now got a room full of sweaty armpit dudes. Which is clearly a sexist conspiracy to drive the women out because of the man-stink.
Only option is to take off your shirt by then, but then you run into the #unleashthetriplenipple conundrum

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #88349 on: October 23, 2015, 02:01:40 pm »

I also remember reading another study where they noted that in general women's nerves are closer to their skin, meaning that they also notice smaller temperature changes, as well as feeling things like pain more strongly.

As for who decides the temperature, it's generally either a company policy or the building manager, depending on if your company owns or rents the building, and if it is a standalone structure or just part of a larger complex.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 5888 5889 [5890] 5891 5892 ... 11040