Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5870 5871 [5872] 5873 5874 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14466637 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88065 on: October 19, 2015, 07:07:57 pm »

Payday 2 takes 30 minutes to apply a 158 meg patch. After I built my computer and got a 2 terabyte HDD I installed most of my games, and PD2, thinking "that's what I have all this space for right?"

Except this game "updates" daily (which I suspect is just shoveling more unpurchased DLC content into everyone's install) and it takes no less than 10 minutes for it to finish regardless of the size of the patch.

I don't get how every other game on Earth can dl and apply its patches in a standard amount of time, and yet PD2 cannot. They must have some really elaborate compression that makes it easier for them to deploy patches at the cost of it taking for fucking ever on the client's side.

Possibly related, Payday 2 always took an enormous amount of extra hard drive space to patch for me.  Several GB at least, even for tiny patches.  Almost seemed like it doubled in effective size until the patch was done.  I was playing on a SSD and really couldn't reserve that much space, which is one reason I stopped playing a while ago.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #88066 on: October 19, 2015, 07:22:52 pm »

when did responding to trolls become america's national passtime

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88067 on: October 19, 2015, 08:13:37 pm »

when did responding to trolls become america's national passtime
Not enough terrorism to chase
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #88068 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:29 pm »

Not a problem, we'll chase terrorism that desn't exist.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88069 on: October 19, 2015, 09:23:58 pm »

You know cracked is a humor site, right?

I thought they were professional doomsayers.

Repent! The end is upon us!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88070 on: October 19, 2015, 09:31:50 pm »

idk in general but I got some earbuds made by Sennheiser and they were the best damn earbud headphones I ever had. Seems like they make good gear in general.

I never understood the appeal of earbuds. If you turn your head or make any sort of facial expression they fall right out.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88071 on: October 19, 2015, 09:33:35 pm »

idk in general but I got some earbuds made by Sennheiser and they were the best damn earbud headphones I ever had. Seems like they make good gear in general.

I never understood the appeal of earbuds. If you turn your head or make any sort of facial expression they fall right out.
Depends how well they fit into the natural "grooves" of the ears. Cheap ones just go into the ear canal and are somehow supposed to stay in by friction. Nicer ones fit neatly into the little slot above the earlobe (dunno what it's called).
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88072 on: October 19, 2015, 09:37:05 pm »

I think a lot of that is the memory filling itself in backwards and altering memories to fit.

It does that.
Which is a sound theory except
I bought the game because, as I said to my roomate 'I had a deja vu about something which can't possibly happen if I don't buy this game, so I'd better get it'.
And he remembers.
Unless he's also under sway of this phenomenon.
More likely than passive divination, however.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88073 on: October 19, 2015, 09:47:10 pm »

Possibly related, Payday 2 always took an enormous amount of extra hard drive space to patch for me.  Several GB at least, even for tiny patches.  Almost seemed like it doubled in effective size until the patch was done.  I was playing on a SSD and really couldn't reserve that much space, which is one reason I stopped playing a while ago.

did a quick google search on this, apparently the files are packed, then compressed, resulting in them needing to be extracted then unpacked, patched, then repacked/compressed... making it faster to just download the game new every patch if you have enough bandwidth...

why

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88074 on: October 19, 2015, 09:52:24 pm »

Sounds right.  I was definitely unable to patch, but able to uninstall then install (the patched version), on several occasions.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88075 on: October 19, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »

Unless he's also under sway of this phenomenon.
No, the bit being retroactively remembered is what the original dream thing was. As in, it was about Bloodbowl, but the specifics of it were remembered differently to how they maybe were the first time around.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88076 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:22 pm »

monkey coconut pickers? ingenious! first the nuts! and then the bananas!

anyway i think its perfectly okay. what do you guys think? the Peta types can go a bit lot overboard on things.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88077 on: October 19, 2015, 10:34:09 pm »

anyway i think its perfectly okay. what do you guys think? the Peta types can go a bit lot overboard on things.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals
I don't see much problem as they are said to be more or less pets. The comments also bring up how well off horses are in comparison...
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88078 on: October 19, 2015, 10:45:45 pm »

I don't see much problem as they are said to be more or less pets. The comments also bring up how well off horses are in comparison...

Aye. As long as they live in decent conditions on their off hours, and it seems they do, I don't see any problem with this. They are working animals like any other.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:47:26 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88079 on: October 19, 2015, 10:48:17 pm »

It's just kind of weird innit. They're like tiny people but not as smart. A phrase that also describe children pretty well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:52:02 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 5870 5871 [5872] 5873 5874 ... 11037