Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5856 5857 [5858] 5859 5860 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14468845 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87855 on: October 16, 2015, 12:44:36 pm »

I recently learned why they're like that, I just can't remember...

Something to do with a focal point, I think.
Pretty much, the point is to turn your single point source of light into a solid wall of it moving parallel. Here's a pretty good explanation picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87856 on: October 16, 2015, 12:45:20 pm »

Apparently the kilogram conflict has been resolved. I didn't know there was one, but I guess that's good?

There is something special that caught my eyes in that article, though:
There is still scope for upset. The teams have until 1 July 2017 to publish further data before the value of Planck’s constant is fixed. Before this deadline, Ullrich’s team plans to use a new batch of spheres from Russia in experiments that he hopes will lead to even more-certain values for Planck’s constant, but could cause the results to diverge again.
Apparently Planck-precise spheres are being produced somewhere in Russia. 1) russia can into precision 2) I must find out where exactly they do that.

EDIT: Apparently the organization that produces the spheres, Institute of Chemistry of High-Purity Substances of the Russian Academy of Sciences, is based is my home city. I guess that means that I won't need to travel far...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 12:54:51 pm by Sergarr »
._.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #87857 on: October 16, 2015, 12:54:39 pm »

"Precision engineering" isn't usually a phrase you associate with Russia, yeah.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87858 on: October 16, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »

Apparently Planck-precise spheres are being produced somewhere in Russia. 1) russia can into precision 2) I must find out where exactly they do that.
I don't quite understand the method they use, but they certainly don't make Planck length-precise spheres. That'd be absurd. It's 10E-35 metres, where an atomic nucleus is on the order of 10E-15 m.

They use silicone crystals (the spheres) to determine Avogadro's number, from which they derive the Planck constant.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87859 on: October 16, 2015, 01:28:24 pm »

Jeez. First real coursework I've ever done, this is seeming stupidly complex and not-working. GCSE, btw. This isn't going to be a fun few days.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87860 on: October 16, 2015, 01:36:29 pm »

I don't quite understand the method they use, but they certainly don't make Planck length-precise spheres. That'd be absurd. It's 10E-35 metres, where an atomic nucleus is on the order of 10E-15 m.

They use silicone crystals (the spheres) to determine Avogadro's number, from which they derive the Planck constant.
Still really goddamn precise, given that it's being used on the forefront of metrology. Though, after further search, it seems that this institute only provides the pure Si-28 polycrystal and it is shaped into a sphere by other organizations in Germany and Australia, which seems to contradict the wording of the Nature article, but oh well.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87861 on: October 16, 2015, 03:53:18 pm »

I find it weird whenever a writer, who clearly doesn't know the first thing about depression, has a character talk down either a critically depressed or suicidal character.

Because it is always the writer spouting what they find inspiring onto the depressed person... but ALWAYS ALWAYS is some of the worst things you can say to someone in that condition.

Usually amounting to just buck up, yeah life is unfair watcha gonna do about it, then just kill yourself, or Fine then I'll kill you myself or some other BS.

It has been done well... but it is quite unusual when it is done wrong.

Actually I find it funny because in "This War of Mine" the characters with the lowest ability to cheer up others pretty much do EXACTLY that. "Just buck up!"... While the ones great at conversation actually do it proper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #87862 on: October 16, 2015, 04:01:32 pm »

My favorite example of this is what i call "Kamina counseling".

Person is suicidal?  Punch them in the face.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87863 on: October 16, 2015, 04:44:54 pm »

Fun fact: A sword is a really bad idea to fix hemorrhoids.

Couldn't hurt. They're already suicidal, you can't really make them worse.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87864 on: October 16, 2015, 04:48:00 pm »

>_> uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87865 on: October 16, 2015, 05:03:06 pm »

My mom took my dice. Apparently it's important that she hold onto them for me.

I am slowly turning back into an infant, it seems.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #87866 on: October 16, 2015, 05:13:16 pm »

Like many things, there is a gradient of suicidalness. It's totally possible that someone could be suicidal in the "seriously depressed and possible to attempt it" and you could make them upgrade to the "totally going to blow their brains out the minute left alone" status. You can make things worse.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87867 on: October 16, 2015, 05:15:32 pm »

Third hottest year in the last hundred years. And it's still spring.

In somewhat related news, a lot of insane people spent SIX HOURS (I wish I was making this up) in a supermarket queue to pay for the merchandise.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87868 on: October 16, 2015, 05:18:01 pm »

Third hottest year in the last hundred years. And it's still spring.

And yet, my area is supposed to be getting the worst winter ever according to predictions. Tonight it's going down to around 40°F.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87869 on: October 16, 2015, 05:18:39 pm »

And it's still spring.
Wait, what? Oh, you were the guy from Venezuela, right?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 5856 5857 [5858] 5859 5860 ... 11037